Dental hygienist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSThomas95

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. I'm currently a sophomore in high school and I'm really looking to go into the dental field when I graduate college, specifically a dental hygienist. I was just wondering if you can get a bachelor degree in chemistry, and then enter a dental hygienist program? also many people told me that I can't be a dental hygienist because I kinda have big hands lol. is that true?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding of DH is that you do not need to obtain a four year degree prior to entering a DH program. If DH is the career field you're interested in you can locate a school that offers a DH program that you're interested in and start taking the prereqs.

Make sure to do VERY well (almost all A's) in them because DH is extremely competitive. There isn't aton of prereqs to the program so there isn't too much room for error.

Some programs offer an AA in DH and some others offer a BS. DH is not a post graduate education program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most dental hygiene degrees are two year associate degrees from community colleges or certificate programs. There are also some bachelor degrees in dental hygiene. Unless you are just wanting to go to college, major in a difficult 4-year chemistry degree, then go to a two-year associates/bachelors degree in dental hygiene, you won't be needing the chemistry degree.

Just out of curiosity, since you are seeming to want to do 4 years of college and then go to dental hygiene school (much like dental school requires a bachelors degree then 4-years of dental school), why do you want to be a dental hygienist instead of a dentist?

Not true.

All hygiene programs differ. Go to www.ada.org to find schools near you and contact them directly

Good advice!!

You don't need a degree to enter a RDH program...you can either take your prerequisites at a CC or a 4 year university, but check into the schools that you are interested in and talk to people there.

Dental hygiene is a great career and offers a lot of flexibility and depending on the state you practice in...can pay very well and have a wide scope of duties...:)

@K Niner, I really don't know! I've never really though of it before. if you can, you should tell me the differences between the two in terms of schooling.

Most dental hygiene degrees are two year associate degrees from community colleges or certificate programs. There are also some bachelor degrees in dental hygiene. Unless you are just wanting to go to college, major in a difficult 4-year chemistry degree, then go to a two-year associates/bachelors degree in dental hygiene, you won't be needing the chemistry degree.

Just out of curiosity, since you are seeming to want to do 4 years of college and then go to dental hygiene school (much like dental school requires a bachelors degree then 4-years of dental school), why do you want to be a dental hygienist instead of a dentist?
I don't know, I've never really thought of it before. can you tell me the difference between the two in terms of like what I should major in, how many years of school, difficulty level, etc. that'd be great!

I don't know, I've never really thought of it before. can you tell me the difference between the two in terms of like what I should major in, how many years of school, difficulty level, etc. that'd be great!

Ok, well like many people have said, if you do dental hygiene you won't be getting a college degree, thus you wont have a major. You will go to a community college or what not and be done is about two-three years, probably with an associates in dental hygiene. They do offer bachelors' degrees (what most people call college) in dental hygiene, but those are not as prevalent and probably not associated with the typical college experience.

For dental school you will need a bachelors' degree with a major in whatever you'd like. Most people do biology since it covers most of the pre-req's. You will have a to take quite a few science courses no matter your major (for the pre-req's). Then after the 4-year college degree, you will have a 4-year dental school education. Dental school is hard to get into, but, on the other hand, it's not something you can't accomplish if you put your mind to it.

You should shadow some dentists, and dental hygienists while you're there, and see which you like. Talk to them about each profession.

Also, you say you want to be a dental hygienist, why do you want to do that?

Edit: Use Google, that's why it's there. It will give you some basic information on each. You can Google about each career, education, difficulty, what they do with their job, professional websites (like ADA & ADHA), etc. If you are truly interested in these careers you should invest the time to learn about them.

Last edited:
What a dental hygienist can legally do varies greatly from state to state, but I know that in Washington and California they can administer anesthetic, place restorations, and perform root planing/curettage along with their traditional hygiene duties...plus in Alaska, Washington, and California it is not uncommon to earn $45-75/hour without all the stress and responsibility of being the dentist (pay can vary greatly based on location and type of practice)...

You need to do research and determine what state you would practice in and which profession would be best for you...dental hygiene is also a very competitive program and I have heard that in the above states, it is more difficult to get into dental hygiene programs than dental school...GL :luck:

Last edited:
My friend is a dental hygenist (and loves it). However, I have something else for you to consider. She is originally from Houston, TX and said she was paid very well there. When she moved to Alabama she said she took a HUGE pay cut. The laws are different here and (I think) dental assistants can do many of the tasks dental hygenists do and are paid less. Therefore, the value of dental hygenists is less. Check with your state's laws and what the average pay is in the state you want to work to make sure you know what you're getting into.

Good luck!

Ok, well like many people have said, if you do dental hygiene you won't be getting a college degree, thus you wont have a major. You will go to a community college or what not and be done is about two-three years, probably with an associates in dental hygiene. They do offer bachelors' degrees (what most people call college) in dental hygiene, but those are not as prevalent and probably not associated with the typical college experience.

For dental school you will need a bachelors' degree with a major in whatever you'd like. Most people do biology since it covers most of the pre-req's. You will have a to take quite a few science courses no matter your major (for the pre-req's). Then after the 4-year college degree, you will have a 4-year dental school education. Dental school is hard to get into, but, on the other hand, it's not something you can't accomplish if you put your mind to it.

You should shadow some dentists, and dental hygienists while you're there, and see which you like. Talk to them about each profession.

Also, you say you want to be a dental hygienist, why do you want to do that?

Edit: Use Google, that's why it's there. It will give you some basic information on each. You can Google about each career, education, difficulty, what they do with their job, professional websites (like ADA & ADHA), etc. If you are truly interested in these careers you should invest the time to learn about them.

Well I would wanna be a dental hygienist because it's less schooling for me, and it seems like it would be easier than going to a 4 year dental school, or even trying to get into. I tend to crack under pressure situations, and I read somewhere else that your gpa has to be around 3.5 to even be considered, and I don't see myself being capable of doing that, so dental hygienist would be an easier route. feel free to prove me wrong, because I don't know that much about dental school lol

Well I would wanna be a dental hygienist because it's less schooling for me, and it seems like it would be easier than going to a 4 year dental school, or even trying to get into. I tend to crack under pressure situations, and I read somewhere else that your gpa has to be around 3.5 to even be considered, and I don't see myself being capable of doing that, so dental hygienist would be an easier route. feel free to prove me wrong, because I don't know that much about dental school lol

Sounds like dental hygiene is a great match for you. Don't pursue dental school if you go in with the mind set that you probably wont get a 3.5

hey everyone. I'm currently a sophomore in high school and I'm really looking to go into the dental field when I graduate college, specifically a dental hygienist. I was just wondering if you can get a bachelor degree in chemistry, and then enter a dental hygienist program? also many people told me that I can't be a dental hygienist because I kinda have big hands lol. is that true?
thanks

I don't think having big hands is a disadvantage. My hygienist have those size but still have light hands. You just need to be extra careful, I believe so. :D

I don't think having big hands is a disadvantage. My hygienist have those size but still have light hands. You just need to be extra careful, I believe so. :D

Isn't this a violation of TOS to have ads in your signature?

What a dental hygienist can legally do varies greatly from state to state, but I know that in Washington and California they can administer anesthetic, place restorations, and perform root planing/curettage along with their traditional hygiene duties...plus in Alaska, Washington, and California it is not uncommon to earn $45-75/hour without all the stress and responsibility of being the dentist (pay can vary greatly based on location and type of practice)...

You need to do research and determine what state you would practice in and which profession would be best for you...dental hygiene is also a very competitive program and I have heard that in the above states, it is more difficult to get into dental hygiene programs than dental school...GL :luck:
I didn't think hygienists in California could do restorative. Has something changed in the last 5 years? I heard CA passed an expanded functions dental assisting license but not expanded functions as part of general hygiene licensure (like in WA).

OP, do your research on RDHs in your state. The larger the scope of practice = the higher the pay = the harder it will be to get into school.

I didn't think hygienists in California could do restorative. Has something changed in the last 5 years? I heard CA passed an expanded functions dental assisting license but not expanded functions as part of general hygiene licensure (like in WA).

OP, do your research on RDHs in your state. The larger the scope of practice = the higher the pay = the harder it will be to get into school.

My bad...I thought they could...:oops:...but they do have RDHEF that can take impressions for cast restorations and do some endo procedures...looks like only a dentist can place restorations in CA...good to know!!

ITA that the OP needs to put in the time and effort to do more research to make a decision...

Last edited:
Sounds like dental hygiene is a great match for you. best of luck

If you don't feel you will be earning a 3.5, I wouldn't consider hygiene. Most entering classes of future hygienists have average GPA's of 3.6 and above. Also, if you crack under pressure, healthcare might not be the right option for you...you can be placed in stressful situations daily and have to figure out a way to solve the problems at hand. Also, clinical board exams are very stressful and some do crack under the pressure.

Don't let this discourage you. College is very different than high school. I hated certain classes in high school, but found out once I was in college, going towards a goal I really wanted to achieve, it was so much more easier to make those A's. If you set your mind to it, you can do it. A 3.5 is easily obtainable through studying and starting off right. Go to the right school and search around to see what programs there are in your state and how many get accepted each year. The hygiene program I attended has around 450 applicants a year and 50 get in. But they list that a 3.0 is the minimum GPA to apply...you have no chance at getting in with a 3.0, they should just straight up say you need at least a 3.5 and same with science GPA.

Shadow some offices and find out if it is really something you want to do ! Although people are saying areas are flooded with hygienists, I was able to find a full-time job 1 month after graduation. My starting pay was $32/hour and recently went up because in Indiana we can administer local anesthesia and the DMD I work appreciates that we do it...it saves him a lot of time throughout the day. Some offices offer commission and you are paid off of your production or receive bonuses for making monthly goals. Hygiene is very flexible and is a rewarding career...go for it if you feel like it something you want to achieve! Don't go into it thinking you won't make a 3.5 and up GPA, because you definitely can if you put your mind to it!