Dental implant for periodontists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.p53

RN to DMD
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Doctors. I'm a Nurse and presently studying as a Pre-dental student. I am very interested in periodontology. May I ask if Dental implant is included in periodontal residency after Dental School? I'm from the Philippines. Than kyou Doctors :)

Members don't see this ad.

yes, implants are part of nearly all if not every single perio residency. Depending on the area, periodontists do significantly more implants than oral surgeons. The periodontists in the town I live in have a monopoly on implants that not a a single oral surgeon has been able to break into. One of the periodontists placed just over 1000 implants last year.

yes, implants are part of nearly all if not every single perio residency. Depending on the area, periodontists do significantly more implants than oral surgeons. The periodontists in the town I live in have a monopoly on implants that not a a single oral surgeon has been able to break into. One of the periodontists placed just over 1000 implants last year.

Do not go into OMFS banking on placing a ton of implants...those days are dying and will be gone. The new implant systems are getting easier and easier for general dentists...and prosth/perio/omfs/endo are all learning them now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not go into OMFS banking on placing a ton of implants...those days are dying and will be gone. The new implant systems are getting easier and easier for general dentists...and prosth/perio/omfs/endo are all learning them now.

Yeah, they have the computer guided implant placements, where placing an implant is pretty much idiot-proof. Everyone and anyone can get in on the action.

But for prospective oral surgeons, we have to thank god for those treasure chests behind the 2nd molars. I've shadowed a private practice oral surgeon and noticed that 80%+ of his practice is extractions.

Last edited:
Yeah, they have the computer guided implant placements, where placing an implant is pretty much idiot-proof. Everyone and anyone can get in on the action.

But for prospective oral surgeons, we have to thank god for those treasure chests behind the 2nd molars. I've shadowed a private practice oral surgeon and noticed that 80%+ of his practice is extractions.

even that is sketchy...we'll see i guess. glad my program puts a lot of focus on the things beyond office dental alveolar cases.

even that is sketchy...we'll see i guess. glad my program puts a lot of focus on the things beyond office dental alveolar cases.
3rds are going to be your bread and butter if you are strictly private practice. Many of OMS guys around here in texas who still want to be part of major trauma and orthognathics usually rotate on call for 1 week every 1- 2 months at the level one trauma center if they want to upkeep their OMS skills. I think it will take a deliberate effort from most OMS graduates to not lose much of the skill they learned during residency. Trauma and orthognathics pay very little for the amount of time investment they require.

Wow!!! Thank you Doctors. It helped me a lot :) Periodontology is really for me. Responses appreciated :)

3rds are going to be your bread and butter if you are strictly private practice. Many of OMS guys around here in texas who still want to be part of major trauma and orthognathics usually rotate on call for 1 week every 1- 2 months at the level one trauma center if they want to upkeep their OMS skills. I think it will take a deliberate effort from most OMS graduates to not lose much of the skill they learned during residency. Trauma and orthognathics pay very little for the amount of time investment they require.

For how long? Insurances are starting to deny reimbursement on impacted maxillary thirds. And anesthesia is changing more than any field, who knows how that will impact OMFS. I just don't forsee the T+T for oral surgeons being the foundation it has been and incoming applicants who choose these almost exclusive dental alveolar programs should keep that in mind.

And orthognathics can be lucrative depending on the patient population and the surgeon. Nothing is as profitable as thirds, but there are surgeons who spend a lot of time in the OR or have strong cosmetics training who do fine.