Dental Insurance as a dental student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jackson-Ave-Dental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering...

As a dental student, do you get good dental insurance lol? Or how should I put this... do you graduate with Hollywood white straight teeth or do you walk out with what chompers you walked in with :D

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering...

As a dental student, do you get good dental insurance lol? Or how should I put this... do you graduate with Hollywood white straight teeth or do you walk out with what chompers you walked in with :D

As a dental student you don't get dental insurance unless you are paying for it. At Louisville we get all phase 1 treatment for free but anything above that you are responsible to pay for. Generally we get a discounted rate. But don't expect to have your teeth corrected for free and even when you do pay it is another student that is doing the work which comes with it own situations. I am assuming it is pretty well the same at all schools.

At my BU interview they mentioned that students get 'free' ortho (pay for lab fees mainly).. so you see quite a few dental students with braces, and you can also get invisalign, with some fees also.