Jun 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello all!

I am looking for a dental internship in Chicago. I will be finishing up my pre-requisites for dental school at DePaul University, so I want to stay busy and gain more experience in the dental field before I apply to dental schools. My schedule is pretty open so I would be willing to work as many hours as possible. I have shadowed a dentist in Aurora, IL for 6 months and was a dental intern at a federally-qualified healthcare center in Champaign, IL last summer. Please let me know if you know of any dental clinics that are looking for interns. It would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

rebecca_chatul_tov

2+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2016
TX
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Have you thought about just taking a dental assisting course and the national boards? Illinois doesn't require a license for dental assistants, but the training and certification could help you land a position somewhere. Plus I think there is a temp service in the Chicago area specifically for dental assistants and dental hygienists.

WheatLom

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
If you are a junior and have taken the DAT, then I think you are more than ready to apply. If you are a sophomore, the extra experience will not as much show Adcoms "more experience" but probably more a dedication to the field and desire to advance. I think the latter is very good!

For Chicagoland and Chicago, I feel the best way to set up a shadow/internship is to speak directly to the dentist. Most receptionists will say, "we don't do that". So the dentist is likely to be more help, also private practes are likely to help you more, because they don't have a cooperate structure breathing down you.