Dental labs in basement when you're a dental student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm lucky enough to be starting D school this coming Fall and keep hearing about these apartments with dental labs in the basement. So 3 questions: 1 - What kind of equipment are in these labs exactly? 2 - How big of a help will having one in your house help you as a dental student? 3 - How common are they? i.e., does the majority of the class have access to one?

Members don't see this ad.

No help. You can wax up teeth and set denture teeth in your own bedroom. The school probably won't be letting you process denture on your own.

I assume you're talking about the apartment listing on the C/O 2018 facebook group, haha.

This seems to have been popular with the D3 and D4 classes. I'm guessing maybe one person built one and others followed suit, and now they're left behind at the apartments they lived in.

Most of the "labs" in these houses contain high speed, slow speed, and air syringe for you to practice preps/restorations and stuff like that at home. Some people used them for some patient lab work during their clinic years as well.

In my opinion they're not really that necessary. There's only so much you can do in a basement. I prefer the full blown lab at school. Also, I waxed at home once during my first semester and hated it (they give you a crappy take-home torch, and the lighting at home doesn't compare to the lab). The lab stations at school are so much better.

Reactions: 1 user