dental licensing exam for overseas dentists in Hong Kong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gone too

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
HI everyone!

I will be going back to HK to take part one this october, was wondering if anyone else is.

If anyones in London and want to make a study group, please let me know!

would appreciate any tips and advice for part 1

thanks guys

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to sit the Hk licensing exam this October (2013). For those of you who passed it:

1. How did you go about preparing for it?
2. How easy was it to get a job after?

I'm looking to move to Hk in the next few months but I'm not sure what my options are. Apparently you need to pass the licensing exam to enrol on even a post grad course.

Hope someone out there can help. If you have any useful info please email it to: [email protected]

Many Thanks

Hi there,

Just wandering if you passed the licensing exam. Il be sitting it this year if your interested in studying together. I live in london...

Hey UKdentist100,

I am a BDS graduate from HKU. I've got a couple of friends from outside HK who took and passed the HK licensing exam. Feel free to let me know if I can offer any information or help.

To answer your second question, once you get a practicing license in HK, hunting for a job isn't difficult. It would definitely be better if you know some Cantonese, but it's out of problem for a decent job as there are many dentists in Hong Kong who only cater to high-end English speaking patients.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi jackjichao

Thank you so much for getting in touch! Such a relief.
Do you think you could drop me an email on: [email protected] so I can discuss things a little further.

Really appreciate this.

Hope to hear from you soon

Hi I'm also interested in some post grad options in hk. So you have to pass the boards just to apply to their residency programs? Is there anything I can do in hk without taking the boards?

Can someone tell me how to prepare the dental licensing exam in Hong Kong? I'm planning to take it this year. thanks

HONG KONG BOARD EXAM BOOKS FOR SALE- email [email protected]
1: Pickard's Manual of Operative dentistry
2: Introduction to Orthodontics
3: Pediatric orofacial medicine & pathology
4: Mosby's II
5: restorative techniques in Paediatric dentistry

Hi there

I am a fresh graduate from King's this year. I have applied to sit the licensing exam in HK this coming October. At the moment I am only focusing on part 1 of the exam.
Please give me hand if you have passed this exam! I would like to ask whats the H and N anatomy like in paper 1? Do I need to know them in proper details? Also, where can I get the factual information and statistics of dental public health in HK? For instance DMFT and fluoride level in HK
Also, anything in particular I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

Hi @youngppl! So how did the exam go? Can you recommend what are the books to study and also where to get information on the dental public health in HK? Thanks!

Hi guys,
I will be graduating in 2017 from Cardiff University and I am planning to sit the HK qualifying exam.
In my knowledge, the passing rate is quite low which really scares me off.
To everyone above, how did the exam go?
It would be awesome if we can maybe share some of the experience or revision strategies :)

Last edited:
Damn, all the internet has to offered about the HK licensing exam is mainly from here. Guess most people are too busy with their lives. I'm going to start preparing for it, probably sit for the exam next year. I've been out of school for 7 years now, will start with looking at my dental decks for NBDE part 1 and 2.

I believe the majority of candidates are originally from HK with Chinese background, like myself. Other reasons may be family reunion, people taking postgrad in HK, lifestyle factors, eligibility to work overseas (if you travelled overseas just to study and need to go back to HK), self challenge etc.
1. Yes, I passed all parts of the examination (parts I,II,III) on one attempt some years ago. I did not end up wanting to stay in HK as there were no jobs. I did this for self challenge only.

2. The passing rate is not that high. You can check that on the their website. The year I did it, they had a total of five passing candidates.

3. You must already be a dentist as you have to show your certificate of good standing. For many countries, (eg. Australia/Hong Kong), once you graduate from your undergraduate degree, you are automatically registrable as a dentist (at least in that country) without further examination anyway.

Hope this answers your questions.
hi smileline,
would u mind to share your revision materials? will be appreciated.
Cheers,

Damn, all the internet has to offered about the HK licensing exam is mainly from here. Guess most people are too busy with their lives. I'm going to start preparing for it, probably sit for the exam next year. I've been out of school for 7 years now, will start with looking at my dental decks for NBDE part 1 and 2.
h
hi, how was the exam? would u mind to share your experience? will be appreciated.
Cheers,

Hey UKdentist100,

I am a BDS graduate from HKU. I've got a couple of friends from outside HK who took and passed the HK licensing exam. Feel free to let me know if I can offer any information or help.

To answer your second question, once you get a practicing license in HK, hunting for a job isn't difficult. It would definitely be better if you know some Cantonese, but it's out of problem for a decent job as there are many dentists in Hong Kong who only cater to high-end English speaking patients.

Hi Jackjichao,

It's been few years you have posted this. May I know if you still can give me some information on taking HK dental board exam, like any guidelines on books and pointers? I am from Thailand, planning to sit for exam next year. This is my email. [email protected]

Hope you could help! Thank you.

Passed part l written phase of Hong Kong dental license exam

I'm selling books and materials for each subject for written,anyone who interest can further email me :
hahakk2001@yahoo com hk

Good luck!

Hi Michaellaidchk,

can i ask for help..
im going to do LE in HK now in April