Dental/Med School LGBTQ Advantage when applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BowlingDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the state/province you are in.
AS now, I don't think there is any advantage.

A handful of medical schools (Northwestern comes to mind) do include LGBTQ as URM. No idea about dental schools.

For the majority of schools simply being LGBTQ won't really give you an advantage, in my experience. But being able to demonstrate (via essays, history of involvement) that you have a unique understanding of and passion for helping advance LGBTQ issues, especially in healthcare, will be very desirable to some schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Generally not an advantage for medical school or residency apps with some exceptions in specific areas. This is speculation from a friend but she felt that she got an interview a residency program because they were looking to build up their LGBT mental health resources and she had "shown dedication" to doing this in her ERAS. So her gayness was not really relevant except that it contributed to her interest in advocating for that population. It was the only explanation she could come up with for why she got an interview at a program that she otherwise had no ties to that had rejected many others with similar apps (but no LGBT stuff) due to having no ties to the area. Again just speculation