Dental Medicine vs Dental School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ice_age_revenge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for my ignorance but I'm still trying to find out what's the difference between a school of dental medicine vs regular ole dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

It's like saying to-may-to or to-mah-to.....same thing.

Reactions: 1 users
If I'm not mistaken, it had something to do with Harvard's tradition of using Latin on their degrees, and they didn't like the way DDS sounded in Latin... so they made a new name, and some others followed suit. (I'm probably way off, but it's something like that.)

Members don't see this ad :)
DMD > DDS
Good luck getting hired being a DDS

Reactions: 3 users
Dental medicine is better! DMD > DDS

DDS is more old school and out of date (version 1.0). DMD is the newer, more up to date degree (version 2.0). DMD is a real doctor, more similar to MD. DDS is just basic drilling and filling, more similar to a nurse.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay so if I were to go te Dental school of Medicine and got my DMD credentials would it still be the same process as if I were getting my DDS?

Hey guys, sorry for my ignorance but I'm still trying to find out what's the difference between a school of dental medicine vs regular ole dental school?
Same thing! Just different name. You can get a DMD or a DDS and it is exactly the same, as long as it is an accredited dental school you are good to go!

DDS is more old school and out of date (version 1.0). DMD is the newer, more up to date degree (version 2.0). DMD is a real doctor, more similar to MD. DDS is just basic drilling and filling, more similar to a nurse.
I currently go to UB Dental School for a DDS and they are all about being a real doctor and not just drilling and filling. They have the exact same curriculum requirements. The ADA doesn't recognize any difference nor does any organization.

Ha bull crap

Members don't see this ad :)
DDS is way better. When patients see the word Doctor of Dental Surgery, they think you are better trained than Doctor of Dental Medicine. They don't even give out dental medicine aside from tooth paste... That's why statistically, dentists with DDS degree does 30% better than dentists with DMD degree.

Don't even get me started on how DMD stands for Doctor of Dental Medicine, they can't even get their acronym straight...

Your patients are going to call you a DDS no matter what you have and won't care one way or another if you are a DDS, DDM, DMD or any other acronym.

If you get DMD, over DDS, you are 87.31% more likely to get into OMFS.
If you get DDS, over DMD, you are 69.69% more likely to get into Ortho.

/thread

DDS is like the classic movies and DMD is like the crappy remake that might have better effects, but the acting can't compare.

Reactions: 2 users
I watched a video where dental school administrators were interviewed and they said they were the same thing.

DMD is pretty much MD
DDS is pretty much DO

:whistle:

DDS sounds better too doesn't it? Maybe I won't apply to DMD schools. You pick it once and it sticks with you forever.

DMD sounds WAYYY Cooler. and its better. in every way. no facts needed.

DDS>DMD

Why?

Cuz in Texas you earn DDS and we all know Texas is better than the other 49 states.. discussion closed.

I've heard that people who get DDS over DMD are more likely to get all the hot chicks.
/thread