Dental mission opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys! I am a pre-dental student who is hoping to travel around the world and provide free dental care for other people once I graduate from dental school and acheive a decent income. This is something that I long for in the future. I have few questions regrading dental missions, maybe you guys can help me out.

Is there a great demend for dental care internationally, esp. in third world countries?

Are there many current dental students with this kind of mindset, or are most of dental students just want to graduate, and make lots of money in order to pursue a good lifestyle?

For the current dental students out there, are there any clubs/organizations/programs in your schools send student to practice dentistry in 3rd world country during the break?

Are there Christian affiliated missions outta there for dental students (since I am a Christian)?

If possible, plz list down the links regrading oversea dental missions :D :love: Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SmoothOp. I'm not too sure about post graduation, but I do know that some schools have "alternative" spring break where students to to underserved countries and provide dental care. I am a first year DDS student and have signed up to go to rural Mexico over spring break. Since I am only a first year my duties will only be to translate between the upperclassmen who provide the work and the patients and to do some light assisting. Looks like those 4 yrs of HS spanish and my undergrad spanish minor will finally get some use! I am not sure what schools have these kind of opportunities but I'm sure most do. BTW, it would make a great interview question to ask something like this to your interviewers. Good luck on acceptance!

Smooth Operater said:
Hello guys! I am a pre-dental student who is hoping to travel around the world and provide free dental care for other people once I graduate from dental school and acheive a decent income. This is something that I long for in the future. I have few questions regrading dental missions, maybe you guys can help me out.

Is there a great demend for dental care internationally, esp. in third world countries?

Are there many current dental students with this kind of mindset, or are most of dental students just want to graduate, and make lots of money in order to pursue a good lifestyle?

For the current dental students out there, are there any clubs/organizations/programs in your schools send student to practice dentistry in 3rd world country during the break?

Are there Christian affiliated missions outta there for dental students (since I am a Christian)?

If possible, plz list down the links regrading oversea dental missions :D :love: Thank you guys!

I know some NYU students have come to Latin America and done some work.

Also, look into the oral surgery area. Lots of Latin America countries get US doctors to come here and perform surgery on cleft lip/palate cases. In fact in many countries, that's the only way to get that surgery done: wait 6 months for the gringo doctors!

I've also seen Mormon affiliated dental services in small comunites down there too.

Finally, I've seen some articles in the JADA or some other kind of publication like that. Look in the classified add section of the JADA, all the way in the back, I think is there where I've seen it.

Just ask around and I'm sure you'll find. Good luck and thanks for caring. :luck: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda got TONS of those mission trips....Quaterly overseas to all sorts of place (anywhere from Africa to Siberia) in multiple groups and monthly to different part within California. They do things from pulling tooth to build a new church/school in 3rd world country.

Many instructors that lead the mission trips seems to find a good balance between $$$ and mission works. Don't have to give up one for another. One of the best dentist I know work near-full time in private office, part time in school and she recently took time off to do a 2 month mission trip in Africa.

Yes, they are Christian Affiliate. Mainly SDA, but others very welcome.

I guess Dentist probably have the flexiability and money to go on mission trips once everything is all set. A local Christian dentist who goes on mission trips 6 times a year came to our pre-dental club and is asking students to tag along with him sometimes in the summer. I am gonna make an appoint with him and find out more about missions as dentist. Joel4sale, Loma Linda is actually my #1 choice of dental right now.

Smooth Operater said:
I guess Dentist probably have the flexiability and money to go on mission trips once everything is all set. A local Christian dentist who goes on mission trips 6 times a year came to our pre-dental club and is asking students to tag along with him sometimes in the summer. I am gonna make an appoint with him and find out more about missions as dentist. Joel4sale, Loma Linda is actually my #1 choice of dental right now.

Cool! I am from Loma Linda (and glad I did), if you have question regarding LLU go ahead PM me :thumbup:

Smooth Operater said:

Since you're a predent, IMHO concentrate on your GPA and DAT scores first, they're almost the only thing that every dental school cares about. Forget about the "rounded applicant" that they mentioned, all B.S. If your GPA and DAT are good then go do some volunteering.

Most dental school have organizations for missionary trips to Africa, Mexico...every springbreak (may/august) Check your local non-profit dental clinic, they usually have missionary trips every year.

Don't eat or drink anything which are not cooked while you're there! My buddy and I shared a pizza on our way back home from Guatemala. We had to stop the van every 1/2 hr or so for him to throw up and p!ss, all at the same time. I was fine while the poor guy was puking his gut out! I still have those photos!

Dentaltown also has a forum for dentists doing missions. There non-denominational.

Thank you very much! That was really a big help! :rolleyes:

I was interested in something like this too, but I had a question about christian mission groups. im not christian, do i have to be? does the group actively convert other people they assist? does anyone know how it works?

denty said:
I had a question about christian mission groups. im not christian, do i have to be?
I'm wondering the same thing--whether there are any overseas volunteer opportunities that are open to non-Christians...

I know at my school not only do you have to be a Christian to participate in the trip, but you actually need a signed letter from your pastor/reverend/etc. to that effect. So I guess that even most Christians wouldn't qualify since they don't actively participate in their church.

I am a second year at Nova Southeastern University. This summer 10 of us are going to Brazil for two weeks. We are planning this on our own (anyone want to make a donation?) but the school is also send a mission to Jamaica which they do every year.

You do not need to be Christian in order to go, however, membership in the Christian Dental Society does give you an good network to put a trip together on your own of jump on-board with another trip already planned. Their website is http://www.christiandental.org/

I am excited to go, some people who went to the same place last year said the need is immense.

Good Luck!