Dental Observations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H@FAU

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems every dentist I ask about coming in and "observing" doesn't allow that in their offices. I have already started the hepatitis vac. (thinking that may be one of the reasons) and have been looking for about 2 months here in South Florida even for an office to hire me part time....I offer to do any work they require and for any pay. My hours are restricted only to the time that I am in class. Without experience though no one yet has taken me up on it. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you male or female? The reason why I ask is because most dentist hire female assists

Have you asked your own dentist?
Or maybe you can offer to do grunt work for free as a volunteer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am female, and I have asked my own dentist....not a very wordy fellow who gave me a very quick response of "we don't allow volunteers in our office because of health regulations." Ideally I would like to volunteer in a couple of different offices to see what the different types of dentistry entail.....even if a chairside position isn't feasible I would stil like to be in the front of the office to see how they are run with billing and patient interactions. Seems any dentist would be happy to have someone so eager to learn their field and willing to run errands. I was thinking of calling the nearest dental school (Nova Southeastern) and asking for suggestions from them.
Thanks for the feedback.

Don't give up. From my past experiences most dentist are eager to show you thier profession. Just keep on asking

Do you think it is because I keep telling them I am planning to apply to dental school? I was thinking this would be considered an asset because I am so eager to learn the profession...and I would think the dentist would be happy to mentor someone interested in his/her field. I am wondering though if they see this as a temporary position and therefore do not want to invest the time in that type of employee.

I don't know how it is in Florida but, here in VA it is totally different!( Do you have a resume? If so how does it really look? How do you dress when you go to these offices? Are you only hunting for a specific field of Dentistry? If so, explore your options try something different! What do your grades look like? If good, sell yourself and show off those grades because they do mean alot! Ask for working interviews to prove to them you know what to do! Are you Dental X-Ray Certified? What other qualities do you have? be it medical or interpersonal skills. Explain to them on your resume what is most important to when working in a dental office> It should be being a team to strive for the best interest of the patient and satisfy them, that is the patient, to there greatest level of satisfaction!)Not trying to be so harsh but, there a Dentist who are starving for eager Assistants.,It is one of the most demanding careers out there and you can make great money doing it! I am a 17 year old female DA who someday hopes to be a Dentist or ER Doc. I may seem too young to listen to or have these experiences but, definetly not true! I am in a Dental Assisting program through my high school and at first I will admit it seems hard but, never get discouraged. Keep on being persistant. Don't settle for any less than what you are worth. I was hired after hunting for a month! It really takes determination. REMEMBER
biggrin.gif
O NOT GIVE UP Call who ever is in charge of Dentist in your state to be sure you don't have to be certified!(Although, I don't think you have to be.) I hope this has helped you or someone else in someway, shape, or form!:0)