Dental Office Volunteer Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quinque

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I is volunteering in a regular dental office (not a free clinic type) considered volunteer hours? Like could I list it as volunteer hours and then when I start shadowing the dentist list that as shadowing hrs?

What am I allowed to do in the office if I am not certified for anything? I have been sterilizing utensils and helping set up rooms for procedures and helping at the front desk.
Is this ok if I have no certifications?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, that is great to put under volunteer hours! You can certainly do sterilization and set up, like operating the autoclave, without any certifications. I do a ton of administrative work and handle patient files, so if you do anything relating to patients, ensure that you sign a patient privacy/ HIPAA agreement form. Honestly, the office should supply this anyway, regardless of the tasks you do there. The only big NO NO is directly performing procedures on patients, even xrays or impressions.

Yes, that is great to put under volunteer hours! You can certainly do sterilization and set up, like operating the autoclave, without any certifications. I do a ton of administrative work and handle patient files, so if you do anything relating to patients, ensure that you sign a patient privacy/ HIPAA agreement form. Honestly, the office should supply this anyway, regardless of the tasks you do there. The only big NO NO is directly performing procedures on patients, even xrays or impressions.

Hi thank you. I was not asked to fill out a patient privacy form, but I do help make appointments reschedule etc. How do I ask to sign one without making it awkward?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi thank you. I was not asked to fill out a patient privacy form, but I do help make appointments reschedule etc. How do I ask to sign one without making it awkward?

Eh, you can't get in trouble that you didn't sign one. In fact, it would be a liability on THEIR part for not telling you that you need to be aware of HIPAA. I just come from an office that is very protective of patient information and we go through massive lengths (including encrypted emails) to keep it that way. It's just a piece of paper that says you won't violate that privacy and discuss anything with people outside the office, etc.

But if you're interested, you can just mention that a friend or advisor suggested it and you were wondering if that's only necessary upon employment?

Eh, you can't get in trouble that you didn't sign one. In fact, it would be a liability on THEIR part for not telling you that you need to be aware of HIPAA. I just come from an office that is very protective of patient information and we go through massive lengths (including encrypted emails) to keep it that way. It's just a piece of paper that says you won't violate that privacy and discuss anything with people outside the office, etc.

But if you're interested, you can just mention that a friend or advisor suggested it and you were wondering if that's only necessary upon employment?

Ok sounds good! Thanks a lot for the info and reply!!

Reactions: 1 user