Dental office volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deskjet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the duties of a volunteer at a Dental office?

Members don't see this ad.

deskjet said:
What are some of the duties of a volunteer at a Dental office?

It may vary from place to place. I've only been at one place and some of the things I did were: office work such as photocopying flyers, calling patients (though very limited because I can't carry a conversation in spanish), and organizing patient folders.

I'm able to polish and floss patients' teeth, suction/assist dentist, sterilize instruments, set-up instruments, clean/set-up rooms, help with both back- and front-office stuff (i.e. make patients charts, pull/file charts, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
SheGotGame said:
I'm able to polish and floss patients' teeth, sterilize instruments, set-up instruments, clean/set-up rooms, help with both back- and front-office stuff (i.e. make patients charts, pull/file charts, etc).

pretty neat, you didn't get paid for this?

haha...the dentist is getting FREE help! and they know we pre-dents need a letter of rec later on so they keep it that way! sucks but that's life!

iviikoivi said:
pretty neat, you didn't get paid for this?
lol, nope. i've been doing it long enough for her to pay me, but she just doesn't. i guess if she really wanted to, she could pay me but i can't see what her reason for not doing so is since i've accumulated like 250 hours.

but whatever, i enjoy it and it gives me something worth while to do outside of school without having to totally commit too many hours/week to it since i only come in Saturdays. (last summer, i came in way more often.) and if i have midterms/final or other important plans, i just tell her.

Haha, this thread makes me smile about the great situation I have. The office I work for lets me shadow for 1 hr/shift PAID!!! Is that not the greatest thing ever??

armorshell said:
Haha, this thread makes me smile about the great situation I have. The office I work for lets me shadow for 1 hr/shift PAID!!! Is that not the greatest thing ever??

i get paid almost $3,000/month working as DA!! cant wait to quit and start school though :p

How do you guys approach the dentist/office? Every dentist I talk to keeps saying that they are way too busy to let anyone volunteer, so they dont cant afford to lose time to train ppl. I mean I am willing to work for free and they still dont want me. :mad: Please guys, let me know as to what you said when you approached them. :confused:

It really helps to know someone. It's the only way I got my DA job. Think about any connections you might have and ask dentists you know (they don't need help) if THEY know anyone that might use your help or be willing to help you out.

aggie.teacher said:
It really helps to know someone. It's the only way I got my DA job. Think about any connections you might have and ask dentists you know (they don't need help) if THEY know anyone that might use your help or be willing to help you out.

I think I do not know any dentists, even my own dentist is very busy. I think I will just start calling random drs around and see what happens.