Dental Residencies similar to Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edkNARF

A is A
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guys know if dental residencies are similar to medical residencies. I have heard horror stories of med residents with 80 hour work weeks. Is this the case for dentites?

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak of my experiecne.

our dental clinic hours were 7:30 - 3:30 or 4 mon - fri.
we took call once every 4 or 5 days, this meant sleeping in the hospital, and fielding all the emergencies after clinic hours and weekends.

we usually had lectures 1 hour before the clinic opened and and hour in the afternoon

As far as oncall went, some days had no calls, other days (the friday after thanksgiving, got 19 calls.

we wernt allowe to leac e the hospital grounds

we had several rotations through emergency, anesthesia

we worked closely with the oral surgery residents, which was great because we saw many traumas

we also saw many adult mentally handicapped patients in bohtthe clinic and under general anesthesia.

I loved my residency, i dont think it ws bad at all.
Oncall sucked, but, it was part of the job.

every residency is different, this was just my experienec

larryphrank said:
I can only speak of my experiecne.

our dental clinic hours were 7:30 - 3:30 or 4 mon - fri.
we took call once every 4 or 5 days, this meant sleeping in the hospital, and fielding all the emergencies after clinic hours and weekends.

we usually had lectures 1 hour before the clinic opened and and hour in the afternoon

As far as oncall went, some days had no calls, other days (the friday after thanksgiving, got 19 calls.

we wernt allowe to leac e the hospital grounds

we had several rotations through emergency, anesthesia

we worked closely with the oral surgery residents, which was great because we saw many traumas

we also saw many adult mentally handicapped patients in bohtthe clinic and under general anesthesia.

I loved my residency, i dont think it ws bad at all.
Oncall sucked, but, it was part of the job.

every residency is different, this was just my experienec

Was this a GPR? OMFS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey edkNARF,

Give me till Monday when I start my GPR and can hopefully give you a better answer.

From what I gathered from interviews, GPRs are usually 8 - 5 M-F with rotating on-call among the residents. It is significantly better than the horror stories we hear about medical residencies (80 hour work weeks etc.). The intensity of on-call varies with the GPR. When the residents get called in at some hospitals, they just say "Take some advil and come in at 8" whereas at other hosptials, if you're on-call, you will be coming in to fix emergencies. Emergencies the GPRs handle can really vary too from what I understand.

I know at LSU NO OMFS, you can easily work over 80+ hours a week. Shoot, the nights I go on-call, I easily clock over 35+ hours straight just in a two-day span. I usually do two call night a week (every 3rd night), there's your 70+ hours in a 4-day span then you add another 8 hour day, I'm easily over 80+ hours already for that week. Read "MY OMFS EXTERNSHIP JOURNEY".

I believe that no dental residencies will come close to any medical residencies EXCEPT for OMFS residencies! Some OMFS residencies will be more intense than others. GPRs and Pedo residencies do have call nights, but they are not as intense as OMFS residencies!

[DISCLAIMER: I am not an OMFS resident, this is only my OMFS externship experience. OMFS residents actually get it worse than externs. OMFS interns gets the call nights more due to their lower status in the totem pole, 5th and 6th-year OMFS residents NEVER get 1st call (better lifestyle)!]

University of Washington's GPR is pretty intense, I think they quoted b/w 70-80hr weeks, I guess that means lots of call...

yes, it was a gpr

but, we were kind of slaves to the omfs residents

most were very nice, informative, helpful..

others had the attitude that, they suffered for so many years, now they finally have someone under them to crap on and give responsibilities to.

but overall, my residency experience was positive

i actually enjoyed the omfs involvment, learned and did alot of things i would never have had the opportunity to do.

larry

griffin04 said:
Mt. Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY

And they've got me mad busy right now (but it will die down soon).

hey do u know a dentist finishing her gpr named Efrat Cohen at Mt. Sinai?

griffin04,
what made u choose Mt. Sinai?
..and how do u like it after your first few days(?)

i'm actually applying to that residency.

http://www.dentalcomfortzone.com/archive/MainFrame2.html
(Click the "Dental Education Programs" link in the bottom of the left window)

Check this out, I came across this the other day.

This is a dentist's own website with quite a bit of detailed information specific to his GPR at Mt. Sinai in NY. Although it is addressed to the lay person, I still thought it was pretty informative.

Definitely worth a look.

Kawika

btw,
how do i get that all access thingie?
ui_allaccess.gif

It is $2.00 for a year or you get it free for being 25+ posts. I think I got grandfathered in when the forum software got upgraded a couple months ago.

I read the dental forum just about every day, but don't post very much. Probably should post more, though. I guess any question :confused: I have I just search for it and find the answer. Probably speaks to the quality of this forum more than anything.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/subscriptions.php

Kawika

EHA DDS - the names of the previous residents are posted all over so I have seen that name.

burton117 - Thanks for the link. They've added a few more rotations to the program since that doctor went here.

toothcaries - When I get a chance, I'll post my experiences here since there aren't too many GPR experiences on this board. (Right now it's hard b/c I don't have internet access at home). I am glad I came to Sinai. There are many positives to being here, and although there are some really annoying negatives (big hospital administration being #1 on that list), I'm willing to overlook them for the things that attracted me here.

It all depends on what you want in a program. For me, it was important to be in a big city - I'm in Manhattan, it doesn't get any bigger than this. I also wanted a program that did Orthodontics and sees kids (unlike VA hospitals where there are no kids); we just started a 2-year Pedo residency at this hospital and every Wednesday morning is solely ortho (you don't see ortho at many residencies). I'm not crazy about Oral Surgery so I didn't want to end up at a residency where I was responsible for digging out impacted third molars. We have a 6-year Oral Surgery program down the hall; anything too crazy, refer it there. They actually want those cases. That doesn't mean you can't get OMS experience. We've seen some crazy OMS stuff they do here and if you have an interest (like one of my co-residents does), it is possible for you to get tons of OMS experience as a GPR. Also, when we're on call, we have to come in and assess the patient, however, the on-call isn't that bad b/c it is not a Trauma I center. But if it's a broken jaw, call OMS, they're going to fix it, not me. If it's a patient <18, call the pedo resident, that's their business to take care of it.

If you want more specific info prior to your interview, let me know. Send me a PM. Otherwise, I'll try to post more later.