Dental Residency (MDS) in NSU, Singapore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denevistas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there dentics,

This might be total tangent to all the USA topics around here but wel...

Been toying with the idea of a MDS residency program in NSU, Singapore. Just trying to get in touch with som1 who would give a little first hand information abt it.........

Done BDS from India....

So anyone out here....on a similar route or been through it....would appreciate pointers for the entrance exams....MDS part 1 exams....

Or even any1 with any kind of idea...rumours... "i heard so"....nething goes!!!

also if its possible on practicing in singapore following the completion of the degree.... as in would i be eligible for a conditional registration

Appreciate any contribution...... :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there dentics,

Been toying with the idea of a MDS residency program in NSU, Singapore. Just trying to get in touch with som1 who would give a little first hand information abt it.........

Done BDS from India....

So anyone out here....on a similar route or been through it....would appreciate pointers for the entrance exams....MDS part 1 exams....

also if its possible on practicing in singapore following the completion of the degree.... as in would i be eligible for a conditional registration

I heard you need 2 yrs work ex before you can apply for the MDS there.
but, check up their site for more.

Thats correct!! they ask for 2 yrs work experience........ however i was wondering if theres ne1 who has taken the exams..... so i could know what kind of questions are asked...

like NBDE for america.. they have an MDS part 1 examination

which is of 2 days with a viva component!!......

any further inputs please????............:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just came across your post. I am also thinking of MDS in Singapore. Please help if you've been able to get some more information on how to go about it. Thanks.

Wel hey bhawna....

well yea i have been doin some research.....you do need 2 years of work experience.... further on what kind of info do you want???

In addition i would be looking for som1 who prolly knows d questions asked et al...or a kinda study partner....hit me up.... useful info we can post on the board here.......

Awaiting more responses.....

Cmon ppl 397 view.......just 2 responses.......

No1 around here got any idea about this???? No1 embarking on this route???

Thanks for the reply. I passed out in 97 and practiced for 3-4 years before moving to the US. Since then, I haven't practiced dentistry, though i've been in clinical research. Does my work exp still qualify?
I came across a recent news item in a Singapore paper stating that they need dentists there and are looking to welcoming foreign trained dentists there and are in the process of setting up some agreement with the Indian govt...any idea about this?

Does anyone have any recommended reading material or previous papers? I wonder why the interest in Singapore is so low considering that the country is full of Indians spl. in banking and IT??? Is the exam very tough?

Last edited:
Exactly my thoughts bhawna.....

the exams have vivas and other essay type questions in addition to lack of a licensure exam in singaporewhich does not allow foreign nationals to practice there.....

doesnt seem like many around here are planningg on this route.... im at a loss for help regarding study MATERIAL....

As for your clinical rsearch experience, you would probably want to look at PHD instead of an MDS....

anyway...do check your SDN mailbox.....awaiting a response....

Thanks for your reply.
When are you planning to take the exam? Feb/Sep? Are you also considering the 10-day prep course for MDS part 1? The school site recommends that. I also went to the Australia site and downloaded the last few years question papers from there. They have only a essay type format. I guess i'll take the help of dental decks and past year NBDE 1 question papers to get an idea about the MCQs. Otherwise its tough to get a direction while studying.

I sent the school a mail but got a very vague response.
You are the only one i've found who's considering Singapore. Hope we can help each other out!
Regarding PhD...thats also something I can consider, but i need to know how competitive these things are to get into. At this stage, I dont want to try and not succeed!

True.....tough to get direction. All that every1 says is prepare as you would for the indian exams.....however considering its the only dental school there it would be highly competitive.:scared:

I am not taking the prep course...its jsut too expensive man!

Whats deterring a major populace and probably me too when considering this option is the lack of licensure to practice there.....and any provision for the same....unless one has done it from a school which is under the "registerable" category..... :eek:

Secondly do tell me more about the australian papers and essay type questions...what are you referring for that...im real tensed about the essay type questions per se.....:confused:

hoping to hear from u.....can i catch u on any of the networking sites?? Hit me a mailer here or leave a note on my page........:) Check your "private msgs" on here..

ok..i have absolutely no idea what the Indian exams are like? Are you referring to the entrance exams for MDS? Never given them. Should they not be on the Dental subjects here though? I thought the MDS Part 1 for Singapore is based on the Pre-dental subjs??

I just bought dental decks and NBDE part 1 question papers along with Kaplan USMLE lecture series...Thats my direction!!!

Let me knw how ur exam went. I'm planning for next Sep!! long way off but with 2 kids i need that much time to study!

you should check the Australian dental registration site..they have posted all the past 10 year questions there...very helpful and a lot of repetition! I'm hoping that the Singapore essay qs are based on the same model!

All the best for your exams. Is Singapore your only choice?

Certainly not my only choice...you could say just giving it a shot......

hmm cool with the material that you suggested and yes it is about all the "basic sciences"....will check out the australian websites that you have spoken of for sure....can you provide a link to it??? (prays)

Wel lets see if il join you next sept or not :p....

why dont u give NBDE a shot tho..... lotsa ppl take it and theres loadsa dental colleges there aint it so???

or relocating this side???

BTW...you shud check out Hong Kong too...they opening admissions for 2010 by november....so.....

Hey doc check on your mailbox here on SDN... left u a note or even ur page thru the "my account" link at the top....it will be under list messages...

Last edited:
Hey there dentics,

Done BDS from India....

hii,wanted to know ,after doing MDS(In singapore) ,does one get registration with singapore dental council..as BDS from india not registrable in singapore

nop....after doin MDS u cannot practice in Singapore...can only in the university...as d degree isnt registerable for private practice

hi.. i read ur posts. me too interested in pursueing further education in singapore.. u could try gettin some contacts of ppl living there.. tat would be a great help. even d networkin sites help get a lot of information. i ve got in touch wit some ppl same way..

r u sure v indian dentists doing pg from there dont get work license?

hii

hii,pl send me your mail id.I am taking part1 MDS soon.let me know if you can guide about past papers or any previous experience from someone.

hii bhavna and denevista and others please
pl send me your mail id.I am taking part1 MDS soon.let me know if you can guide about past papers or any previous experience from someone.

hi.. i read ur posts. me too interested in pursueing further education in singapore.. u could try gettin some contacts of ppl living there.. tat would be a great help. even d networkin sites help get a lot of information. i ve got in touch wit some ppl same way..

r u sure v indian dentists doing pg from there dont get work license?

wel as far as my research says... no... its easier for ppl who have gotten married and/or managed to get a PR status there...

bottom line...nothing is impossible..if u r persevering...what branch you considering anyway? the ortho residency there is highly competitive and good i believe...:cool:

wel as far as my research says... no... its easier for ppl who have gotten married and/or managed to get a PR status there...

bottom line...nothing is impossible..if u r persevering...what branch you considering anyway? the ortho residency there is highly competitive and good i believe...:cool:

i want to know have you tried for mds in singapore. if yes can u pls tell me how to prepare for mds part 1 exam

i want to know have you tried for mds in singapore. if yes can u pls tell me how to prepare for mds part 1 exam

ur preps for Indian cet's will b sufficient. but do read up on topics you dont have suffiicent knowledge about....

Hey there dentics,

Done BDS from India....

Hi,
I am dentist wrkin in guj n have done my BDS frm
Rguhs!
I am thinking of doing my masters there too n
I jus came across this forum thought shall ask
The present status !
Have u already join'd NUS, it'll b gr8 help if you
Enlighten me with how to start prep for the entrance
Waiting for reply!

I am a practicing orthodontist in India, cn anyone guide me on how to apply fr work in singapore or dubai