dental salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dung

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

how much does dentitist make? I hear that many make more than doctors. I dentist doctor tells me if i want to make money, I should go to a dentist school. $300-500, 000 is some quoted figures. I thought you people make less, like around low 100's.

please reply.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If the only reason you want to go to dental school is that you heard dentists make good money, then I loathe you. People like you demean the reputation of the noble profession I hope to one day soon enter. Providing health care for people is a priviledge, and you should treat it as such. The only "profession" that people with your career goals should consider is that of a lawyer. They are always looking for more vultures to join their ranks.

Hey, don't be preachy to me. I have friends who brag to me how much money they will make from dentist schools and even dentists telling me the same and how foolish I want to be docotr, even if I have to go to FMG school. Tehy say stay US and go to dentist school and I can make a lot of money. Dentitis are greeedy people. They even tell me the lucarative fields are orthodontics and endodontists and that bridges and crowns are the biggg money!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dung (you picked an appropriate name for yourself),

I didn't mean to rip you a new one in my above post. It's totally fine that you are looking into a carreer that can provide you with a comfortable lifestyle. I will not deny the fact that if dentistry could not provide me and my (future) family with such a lifestyle, then I would not be pursuing it. However, if you are contemplating entering dentistry so you can spend your whole day putting your hands into people's wallets rather than their mouths, then there is no way you can tell me you are going to be a good dentist. A person whose primary concern is to make money off of the health of another person is not someone I would like to call a colleague. Yes, there are "greedy" dentists out there. There are also greedy physicians and greedy people in any profession you can think of, but we do not need any more. Do us all a favor and reconsider what you are getting yourself into.

I never said that I was going to be a greedy guy. I come from a very poooor fmily and just want to have a little more money. I think the other dentists are the greedy ones. I heard of a dentist in W. Los Angeles making .5 million a year working 3.5 days a week. This is first hand knowledge from her dental assistant. I can't believe it, but my friend the assistant says that there are a lot more CROOKED DENTIST and GREEDY ones in dental then in medicine b/c there is more leeway for dentists, like car mechanics, to say you need all these extra procedures.

So, again, good for you for being nongreedy, but I don't respect a lot of your collegues.

Dung-- not to be extremely crass--- but you're going to have to work on your written english before thinking about any graduate program!

I find your generalizations about dentistry to be a bit immature. If you seek financial rewards comparable to your effort and investment----you'd be a ***** to choose any health profession. It is obvious you have no business sense because if you think----- spending 4-7 (depends on specialty) years in dental school, investing $100,000+ in tuition, missing out on 4-7 years of potential earnings (while attending school), and investing in a private practice which is another $80-100,000+--- is a smart way to make a lot of money---I have some ocean front property in Iowa I'd like to sell you!!!!

I'm sure you understand there are 1000s of ways to make more money than docs. Not to mention a whole lot easier too!!

Good luck in your money endeavors.
R.R.B

All good points.

[This message has been edited by gasdoc (edited April 01, 2001).]

Gasdoc, I read your post before you edited it. I was truly shocked when I first read it. I wasn't going to respond because I thought the post spoke for itself. But since you've since erased it, I feel that I need to reply. I cringe at the idea that you will be a physician soon. I'm sure I am not the only one who read it. Basically, he was mocking the Vietnamese immigrant by spelling things wrong and faking a bad Chinese accent. You should be ashamed of yourself !! You can edit things on this thread but we know exactly how you feel in your heart. I hope that for your future patient's sake, that you will only have Caucasian patients. A-hole.

- Leo, D.O.

I would be very interested in an answer to the original question. How much do dentists make?

Gen. Practice, Orthodontics, Maxillofacial surgery, are all interests of mine. I would still like to hear other salary quotes for other specialties.

Additionally, how difficult is it to get involved in oral and maxillofacial surgery? Is the residency tough to get into? Do they only accept the top students?

Thanks!

Firebird,

The average salary for gen. dentist is ~$135,000+/-. Obviously more for some----a friend of mine takes in ~$280,000 a yr---and less for others. My best friend's wife's father (if you can follow that) is an Ortho and takes in $500,000. In Iowa none-the-less.

Is it hard for a specialty? You bet. The toughest specialty to be accepted to is Ortho > Oral > Endo > Perio. Some people have the misconception that going to an Ivy League school will help their chances for specializing. They couldn't be further from the truth. Bottom line is that every school will have openings for specialties---but only for their top students (w/ great board scores)! To match in Ortho you will need to be in the top 1-5 in your class! Not to mention a great board score. Oral Max. Facial Surgery (OMS) at least in the top 2% of your class! So get ready to battle. Now the question is who do you want to battle against? People accepted to Harvard or ppl accepted to Public University of USA? Where do you feel you'll have the best chance to graduate in the top 10. The only variable is the class rank----since everyone has to take the boards, right! The OMS curriculum is no joke. Another 4 years---a PH.d or MD---is quite a haul.

I kept this post short but if you have other specific questions---post them.

R.R.B

So you HAVE to do a double degree to become OMS? I was told by a OM surgeon that you don't.

I believe Oral Surgeons can be DDS's, however I'm 99% sure that maxillofacial doc's are all MD's. I personally have had a lovely 6 hour OMF surgery (it was a blast), and my doc was an MD, as were all the docs in his group. It probably has to do with the fact that MF surgery has much more to do with changing the alignment of the cranial bones, and less to do with actual dental work. However, my doc did take out my wisdom teeth while he was in there, which just added to the fun of recovery, as I'm sure you can imagine...
eek.gif

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited April 04, 2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
gasdoc = dung
smile.gif

IP: 132.239.1.232 for gasdoc and Dung.

Nice detective work MAAT.
wink.gif
I guess this just goes to show that UCLA Medical Students can be dumb - at least the ones that go into Anesthesia.

SEEKING DUNG UCLA MEDICAL STUDENTS -- LT

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?
Heaven forbid, I'll ever end up as Gasdoc/Dung's patient. And to think that the med school is not even a mile away from my office. Good thing I don't know your true identity, I would have been tempted to smacked you silly as I rolled out of parking lot N0.2 and cruise infront of your building.

Why so bitter Gassy Dung? Did a dental student from the building next to yours stole you GF?

Gasdoc/Dung may you'll be plagued with an unbearable itch and have no nail to scratch.

Wow, it never occurred to me how stupid people really are. Thanks to all who reminded me here. It's wrong for someone to ask about the salary of a profession? Health field is "noble"?? I laugh as your stupidity and ignorance. Wake up and smell the formaldehyde you *****ic oaf. Doctors and Dentists are paid handsomely for what they do. Doctors will perform unnecessary procedures to make a quick buck. Yes, there are honest ones out there, but even they do it as well. Having worked with them for almost a year now, there is no one who is pure of heart I've met. Even the nicest ones it seems bend the rules now and then. Have you ever seen a doctor and your insurance company refused to pay the full bill? Even if it is $10, they will send you notice after notice until you pay; the postage alone is worth 2.50 by the time they turn it over to a collection agency. Oh yes, make no mistake, doctors milk every penny they can get their hands onto.
Have you ever laid your wart laden face to a newspaper article that tells you how many applicants there are to medical school when the economy is down and MBAs are in low demand? Three to four times the number of medical school applicants rise while MBAs commiserately fall by the same amount. Hrmmm, coincidence? If you think it is, you doubtless are the offspring of dumb and dumber.
As far as the question of how much dentists make...it all depends on where you practice. California dentists average around 400/day. Dentists in my city average around 700/day. Mine showed me his books and he is happy when he can take around 12-15,000 home per month after office expenses...paying the phone bill, rent, secretaries, etc. And all this from working 4 days per week only. All dentists here do. Orthodontists here pull in around 1 million per year. You will find most doctors/dentists far fetched in telling how much they make..but once in a while a few will tell you exactly how much they make...you just have to ask it in a nice manner....such as: "what is the average starting sum someone in your field starts at here?"

p.s. orthomaxillo surgeons are MDs who went through DDS first. if you really want to know...look it up in schools with the program...try the harvard website first...even the usc dental school website lists info for it if you really want to know. it beats me why you people dont peruse resources out there before arguing over whether a oms is a md or not.

hotinwoof--

You're a very bitter individual, but that's beside the point. OMS's are DDS's or DMD's that did a residency, and, depending on the program, got their MD or SOME OTHER graduate certificate. It beats me why you don't peruse resources out there before arguing over whether an OMS is an MD or not.

Brwncaddy,

Isn't it amazing that hotinwoof tries to sound knowledgeable-----yet is ignorant to the fact the OMSs are awarded a variety of degrees----not JUST a MD. I thought all rational, half-witted, individuals knew that!

R.R.B

Dr2B--

Hotinwoof's arrogance and hypocritical willingness to spew forth false information will make him one hell of a dangerous physician or dentist or whatever the hell he is aspiring to become.

Also note what he states OMS stands for--"orthomaxillo"surgeon.

Hotinwoof-- FYI, "ortho" = bone. OMS = ORAL and maxillofacial surgeon. Again, please refer to your own wise advise and either do a little research before you make a statement as absolute truth, or, better yet, not say anything.

You guys are all pathetic!!!!!!! Everybody knows that there are greedy people in all professions, but to be greedy and dishonest in the health profession is by far the absolute WORST. These dentsists say that they got into the health profession to help people , but instead cause people unnecessary trauma, emotional, physical, and financial. It's ridiculous to me. I know too many dentists who are CROOKS and they should be locked up with the rest of the criminals. They take people's money and inflict unnecessary pain. Before you all have a hissy fit, I am not saying that all dentists are like this, but I can say that I have met one too many of the bad guys out there.

To all of you who are getting so worked up, and yelling at everyone for stating their opinions...GET A LIFE!!!!!!!! You are getting into a proffessional where most people either fear you or loathe you. You know this, so stop lying to yourself and yelling at everyone. These opinions are innocent and yes maybe somewhat ignorant, but you are just aggrevating the situation by being so defensive.

If dental school is so much work then maybe you should get off of the message boards and start doing some school work. Enough said?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Dr.2b:
Whoever told you----you don't need a duel degree was wrong. Most school's will offer a PH.d or MD upon completion.

An OMS told me that you don't have to have a double degree to be an OMS. He was proof positive, as he was just a DMD or DDS. However, when he was talking about it, I think he was refering to double degrees strictly as DDS MD.

Way more than they deserve.

hey brwncaddy,
Can you ease up on Dung, if he wants to pursue a career and financial stability is major upside to him wanting to be a dentist then thats fine, as long as he really wants to be a dentist also and treats his patients with respect and fairly. Let me ask you something if they told you today as a genal practitioner physician you would make $35,000/year, would you still be a doctor and bust you butt for 10-12 years, huh, yeah I thought so, it would be worth it even though you still wanna have the "privilege" to help others.. So if you or anybody out there says that money is not at least a minor small fraction of the reason that you want to be a physician or dentist they are simply LYING!!! If dentist and doctors were making $30,00-$40,00/year there would be probably only 1/4 the fraction of doctors there are today and you know it. People like you just want others to believe that money and financial stability is not a reason to be a doctor or dentist, you want others to believe that you want to be a physician and dentist to "help" others. Yes helping others is very important but by all means so is financial stability!! I can honestly say this because I come from a dirt poor family, my father died when I was 18 and I have been living with my mother and 2 brothers on a combined household income of $18,000/year and its hard. How many people can say that. I work two jobs, volunteer, tutor my brothers, and go to school full-time so YES financial stability is a major motivation no matter what you say or if you look down upon it. I dont come from a family making 100K/year like many dental or medical school studetns.

hey brwncaddy,
Can you ease up on Dung, if he wants to pursue a career and financial stability is major upside to him wanting to be a dentist then thats fine, as long as he really wants to be a dentist also and treats his patients with respect and fairly. Let me ask you something if they told you today as a genal practitioner physician you would make $35,000/year, would you still be a doctor and bust you butt for 10-12 years, huh, yeah I thought so, it would be worth it even though you still wanna have the "privilege" to help others.. So if you or anybody out there says that money is not at least a minor small fraction of the reason that you want to be a physician or dentist they are simply LYING!!! If dentist and doctors were making $30,00-$40,00/year there would be probably only 1/4 the fraction of doctors there are today and you know it. People like you just want others to believe that money and financial stability is not a reason to be a doctor or dentist, you want others to believe that you want to be a physician and dentist to "help" others. Yes helping others is very important but by all means so is financial stability!! I can honestly say this because I come from a dirt poor family, my father died when I was 18 and I have been living with my mother and 2 brothers on a combined household income of $18,000/year and its hard. How many people can say that. I work two jobs, volunteer, tutor my brothers, and go to school full-time so YES financial stability is a major motivation no matter what you say or if you look down upon it. I dont come from a family making 100K/year like many dental or medical school studetns.

Wow....2001

hey brwncaddy,

well, I don't want to take any side, but considering the rigorous training of dentist and doctors (5-7+ years), borrowing 100K-200K for tuition, and the risk they have everytime they treat patients, they can't be awarded the same as a technician. I think the financial stability is important, but I am really tired of people who keep talking they need to make hundreds of thousands to be "financial stable". How much is enough to be stable? sometime that depends a lot on you. Also, do you take in to account the negative aspects that doctor/dentist face? like dealing with AIDS patients, or patients that don't appreciate for the service they provide, sitting and bending their neck all day, especially dentist can have higher risk of getting carpal tunnel, etc. I think doctors and dentists have to do a lot to cater for their patients, if you look at them, they are somewhat like a "service saleman". They make money by provide the service, and help people get better at the same time. Just look at how much saleman can make, some make a lot more than doctors and dentists.

My bottom line is, please don't compare profession because one get pay higher and the other. Well, i know that some figure out there is not very fair, like the ones of executives, but i guess it's life, life is not really fair. The price is set to compensate for the things people do/give up. I know it is cliche to say this, but really, don't let money drive you, and pick something you really enjoy. It's YOUR life. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.