Dental school abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slimfast

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I complete dental school in Europe (or Canada) is it possible to practice back in the United States?

I have lived in the states my entire life and so therefore would like to practice here(America), but I wouldn't mind going abroad for dental school, since it seems cheaper and easier to get into.

Any websites with further information would be greatly appreciated- thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if I complete dental school in Europe (or Canada) is it possible to practice back in the United States?

I have lived in the states my entire life and so therefore would like to practice here(America), but I wouldn't mind going abroad for dental school, since it seems cheaper and easier to get into.

Europe, I am not sure but Canadian dental schools are ADA accredited so you can get license through examinations without further studies. I think you can visit www.ada.org for more info. You basically have to pass the NBDE parts 1 and 2, regional boards, and state jurisprudence exam.

Europe - No
Canada - Maybe

I really don't know why you are lead to believe that dental school admissions would be any easier in Canada or Europe. I mean, tuition wise, maybe a tad cheaper, but considering that you will eventually be re-locating back to the states to practice, I really see no sense in such a decision.

Do it right the first time. If you have the opportunity to do school here, take it.
Any of us here on the international forums will tell you how much of a hassle it is getting your "foot through the door" following graduation from an international program. Besides, who would want to deliberately go through the dental school application/admission process twice ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree....you are thinking of relocating bk to the US in the future....it is best if u try to get into a school here in the US itself rather than trying ur luck some place else...Canadian schools arent much different...they are too competitive....but Europe is a different thing...so set ur mind in the US or Canada...it sud work out for u

I agree that Canadian schools are very competitive too because there are not as many universities that offer dentistry. But after you graduated, US or Canadian grads likewise would need to write the same types of qualification exams (NBDE, regional, jurisprudence). So, I think Canadian trained and US trained are not that different after all.

I am from Canada so I know and am going through the same process now. The thing that may be of a disadvantage to be from a different country is that you may have more difficulty finding patients for your regional boards because you are not as 'local', or you don't have access to dental school patients as if you are trained locally.

You must be kidding when you said "cheaper and easier", right?
No dental schools are easy (or cheap) to get into especially in western Europe... just because you're from the US. It actually may be harder for you... with that kind of attitude!

That was great advice from all of you- from these comments I have narrowed down my options

Thank you Nuts, NileBDS, Mishale, and bluetoothhunter