Quantcast

**Dental School Admission Information**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDent020

Endodontist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Ok, so i searched some forums and can't find a common thread that focuses on schools selection factors. Some one was very nice to post in detail the steps the UNC admission office takes to decide the annual incoming D-class. I figured if a thread like this gets rolling students can guage their chances with a school or if they should even apply.

Detailed admission information is rarely released, but if it is, it will be done so at interviews during Q & A or exit interviews. So if you can remember anything that was said, please take the time to post it.

Here is the UNC example.. As you will see, it is extremely insightful and helpful...

FutureDent020

Endodontist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post by: UNCbestyet

I had my interview the other day and things went well .... I think ... it's tough to read some people's impression of you.

Anyways, I wanted to post some of the feedback I recieved at the interview. If anyone remembers any of this differently than me, let me know.

4 interview dates
64 people interviewed at each
256 total interviewed

Can only accept 15% (~10) out-of-state

I was told that there is a calculation involved with the admissions process:

20% GPA (guessing BCP or sci or total?-but don't know)
20% DAT (guessing AA? - but don't know)
60% Interview - point scale out of 9 or 10 - (although most people may recieve 7, 8, or 9 who knows- so probably decreases affect of 60% - unless you totally bomb the interview)

They use the above calculation to get the top 125 people interviewed. Out of the top 125, I think the top 10-15 are automatically accepted. After that, the remander of the 125 left - there is a committee meeting - must be nominated by someone. Once nominated by someone - it is voted on to accept or not.

So ..... my perception is that your GPA, DAT, and interview need to get you into the top 125. Once in the top 125, I guess there needs to be something in your file that catches someones attention or from the interview or what ever it takes to get nominated by someone on the commitee/interviewer.

For instate applicants -
1/1.4 that apply are interviewed
1/2.7 of interviewed folks accepted
1/3.7 of applied are accepted

If anyone heard any of this differently than me let me know.

So with my GPA who knows if I can even make the top 125, but I got an interview so maybe I am not totally screwed. :scared:

lphiewok

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is one for OU Dental School for Out-of-states from 2009 entering class (in-state has different statistics and btw, OU will interview every single in-state applicants)

They interviewed total of 68 non-residents out of 448 applicants.
Out of 68 non-residents, they sent out 31 offers.
From 31 offers sent out, 13 non-residents chose to attend OU.

Mean overall GPA was 3.64
Mean science GPA was 3.57
Mean DAT was 19.02

In order to assess applicants, they use number-point system.

There is 11 points maximum before you get invited to interview (from your stats alone without interview). They send out interview invitation starting from highest points in the early October to lower points later in the month (I had 9.64 out of 11 and I was interviewed on second interview group. They actually show your number when you get to school and explains how you got that number)
They stop interviewing non-residents by mid-November and they make final decisions of non-residents on November 20 during one big meeting (I think that's the right date) and they do not send out any more non-residents offers after Dec 1st. (there is no second round). Instead, if more non-residents decline their offers than expected, they will just fill those seats with more residents.

1) L-60 (GPA from your last 60 hours of courses) x 0.25
e.g. 4.00 x 0.25 = 1

2) overall GPA x 0.5
e.g. 4.00 x 0.5 = 2

3) science GPA x 0.75
e.g. 4.00 x 0.75 = 3

4) DAT. If you scored over AA21, you get 5 points. Below 21, they subtract points but I forgot to write it down since it didn't apply to me.
e.g. 21 AA = 5

= Total points available from your pre-interview alone: 11

And then you get interview with 4 different faculty/members.

Each interviewer, they get to grade you in 4 different categories for 5 points maximum (communication/interpersonal skills, passion/knowledge for dentistry, cognitive thinking, and something else I forgot).
So each interviewer can give you maximum of 20 points.
Then they add up 20 points from 4 interviewers, to total of 80 points, and then they divide it by 8.
e.g. 20+20+20+20 / 8 = 10

Maximum points you can get from interview is 10 points (average of 4 interviews)

So now they add your pre-interview points with your interview points to maximum score of 21.
They send out acceptance letters to people with highest numbers (last year's case, they sent out to 31 highest non-residents with interviews).

Last edited:

DesertSonata

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a very interesting thread. I wonder how many other schools have a specific analytical system for grading their interviews. Anyone else care to share any inside info?

smthngintheway

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that a dental school would place 60% of their decision on a ten minute interview. What if the applicant was extremely nervous or just slipped up and had a bad interview? Meanwhile, three years of dedicated hard work to achieve a good GPA is only 20%?

That's kinda absurd.

MrAvicii

Removed
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that a dental school would place 60% of their decision on a ten minute interview. What if the applicant was extremely nervous or just slipped up and had a bad interview? Meanwhile, three years of dedicated hard work to achieve a good GPA is only 20%?

That's kinda absurd.

what does your GPA say about you? Please do tell. To me a GPA simply means whether you are worthy of an interview, not that you are worthy of being a dentist.

A dentist must be compassionate, extroverted, understanding and overall a good human being. I've never know a GPA or DAT score to reveal that about anyone. The interview should make up 90% of the admission criteria (once a candidate meets the necessary GPA and DAT requirements.)

Its only logical that you would want someone in your d-school if they have the right personality. Again grades alone mean nothing, its not like we're herding cows and the smarter person will do the best job.

smthngintheway

Reaction score
what does your GPA say about you? Please do tell. To me a GPA simply means whether you are worthy of an interview, not that you are worthy of being a dentist.

A dentist must be compassionate, extroverted, understanding and overall a good human being. I've never know a GPA or DAT score to reveal that about anyone. The interview should make up 90% of the admission criteria (once a candidate meets the necessary GPA and DAT requirements.)

Its only logical that you would want someone in your d-school if they have the right personality. Again grades alone mean nothing, its not like we're herding cows and the smarter person will do the best job.

While I agree that a bunch of numbers on an individual's transcript or DAT report card doesn't really draw much of a picture as to that individual's personality, I would argue that a ten minute interview doesn't really depict much of an accurate image either.

If anything, one's personal statement would be the best way to gauge an applicant's personality. They've had time to think about what they would write and how they would write it and they don't have the pressure of an interview bearing down upon them so they can be more of their own self.

And I didn't notice any PS% in the OPs post.

MrAvicii

Removed
Reaction score
While I agree that a bunch of numbers on an individual's transcript or DAT report card doesn't really draw much of a picture as to that individual's personality, I would argue that a ten minute interview doesn't really depict much of an accurate image either.

If anything, one's personal statement would be the best way to gauge an applicant's personality. They've had time to think about what they would write and how they would write it and they don't have the pressure of an interview bearing down upon them so they can be more of their own self.

And I didn't notice any PS% in the OPs post.

thats true PS should have some weight as well. but then again some people did not write their own PS :)

Interviews are not really 10 minutes. in fact most interviews that are 30 to 45 mins are usually pretty good representations of applicants. Interviews are used for all sorts of jobs, at med schools, pharm schools, PA schools.

Hence after the GPA, DAT and other app data has been approved and you have been invited to the interview, the only difference between me and you (if we were attending the same interview) would be personality. So if you fit the mold of the school based on your personality and people skills you should get admitted over me. At that point it makes no sense to go back and say "well he had a good GPA."

This is actually a major plus if you think about it. You cant select the schools that interview you, but you know once you are in the door you have a damn good shot at being successful and getting admitted if you know how to interview well and you understand how to work with people. I just think everything goes hand in hand. Post interview GPA/DAT/PS etc are not as important anymore because if you are anti-social and cant work with people, why should you get admitted?

Toothshucker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The admissions director tells everyone at the interview how the process works.
After your interview, the people who interview you are asked questions by the committee. You want your interviewers to be able to fill in the blanks for you so the committee can rate you. Once all the questions are answered, everyone rates you on a scale of 1-10 (I think 1-10). They add up the points and rank you. Then they give out acceptances in order of rank.

At Uconn

Last edited:

smthngintheway

Reaction score
thats true PS should have some weight as well. but then again some people did not write their own PS :)

Interviews are not really 10 minutes. in fact most interviews that are 30 to 45 mins are usually pretty good representations of applicants. Interviews are used for all sorts of jobs, at med schools, pharm schools, PA schools.

Hence after the GPA, DAT and other app data has been approved and you have been invited to the interview, the only difference between me and you (if we were attending the same interview) would be personality. So if you fit the mold of the school based on your personality and people skills you should get admitted over me. At that point it makes no sense to go back and say "well he had a good GPA."

This is actually a major plus if you think about it. You cant select the schools that interview you, but you know once you are in the door you have a damn good shot at being successful and getting admitted if you know how to interview well and you understand how to work with people. I just think everything goes hand in hand. Post interview GPA/DAT/PS etc are not as important anymore because if you are anti-social and cant work with people, why should you get admitted?

I hear what you're saying. I'm just worried about nerves messing up my interviews and causing me to to have a panic attack.

"So Mr. Potential Dental School Student, tell us about yourself."

"Gah!....My.....heart.....hurts.....feelsssss.....like....exploding....!!!"

*slumps to floor and dies*

"Well he certainty doesn't have the people skills we're looking for. Tst Tst. NEXT!"

dmdluffy

YOSH!!~
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying. I'm just worried about nerves messing up my interviews and causing me to to have a panic attack.

"Well he certainty doesn't have the people skills we're looking for. Tst Tst. NEXT!"

Lulz, that gave me a good laugh. Thanks haha!

AlbinoPolarBear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

It's more like:

"Well I don't think he'll be alive to pay tuition for 4 years of dental schools if we accept him. Tst. Tst. NEXT!"

YoHomey

Removed
Reaction score

Blah, blah, blah lol. You're so naive my friend.

Let's speak some truth here. Dental schools care about collecting their $300K from you for 4 years. All of the admission criteria is to ensure that you are smart and committed enough so they will get paid. Let's break it down:

GPA: confirm your intelligence to pass the academic rigors of dschool

DAT: same as above and also to confirm your competence in standardized testing so you can pass the board exam

Shadowing hours: confirm that dentistry isn't just a flavor of the week

PS: same as above

LOEs: confirm you'll do homework assignments, don't cheat on exams, won't skip every class

Criminal background check: confirm you won't do anything sketchy that will get you kicked out of school or put in prison, as well as ruining the reputation of the school

Immunization record: confirm you won't die of a deadly disease as well as pass on the disease to other healthy students

Interview: confirm you're not a freak and didn't lie on the app, which has everything to do with the above mentioned criteria

Fact is schools are afraid of two things: people who fail out and people who lose interest in this profession. Eiher outcome will cost the school hundreds of thousands of dollars since they cannot be replaced for the duration of the program.

MrAvicii

Removed
Reaction score

Let's speak some truth here. Dental schools care about collecting their $300K from you for 4 years. All of the admission criteria is to ensure that you are smart and committed enough so they will get paid. Let's break it down:

DAT: same as above and also to confirm your competence in standardized testing so you can pass the board exam

LOEs: confirm you'll do homework assignments, don't cheat on exams, won't skip every class

Criminal background check: confirm you won't do anything sketchy that will get you kicked out of school or put in prison, as well as ruining the reputation of the school

Immunization record: confirm you won't die of a deadly disease as well as pass on the disease to other healthy students

Interview: confirm you're not a freak and didn't lie on the app, which has everything to do with the above mentioned criteria

Fact is schools are afraid of two things: people who fail out and people who lose interest in this profession. Eiher outcome will cost the school hundreds of thousands of dollars since they cannot be replaced for the duration of the program.

so why am i naive? you are confirming exactly what i said.

dude choose your words wisely, enough with the condescending bs already! im not your momma; learn to speak professionally and offer advice in a proper manner.

Jackson-Ave-Dental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Let's speak some truth here. Dental schools care about collecting their $300K from you for 4 years. All of the admission criteria is to ensure that you are smart and committed enough so they will get paid.
Let's break it down:

Just my opinion but deep down... schools prioritize this over producing good dentists :laugh:

SEAirLand

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any chance we can keep this on the subject at hand?

Instead of everyone theorizing on what schools look for? Just the facts!

"The" Ohio State University -
3 interview sessions
60+ people each
1st one, predominantly OOS

104 - 109 seats

Odds are pretty good.

Not sure what their weight is for each section, but I'd be willing to bet they place a heavy weight on the interview. OSU is a tight knit school that likes to be unique and bond with her students.

MrAvicii

Removed
Reaction score
Any chance we can keep this on the subject at hand?

Instead of everyone theorizing on what schools look for? Just the facts!

"The" Ohio State University -
3 interview sessions
60+ people each
1st one, predominantly OOS

104 - 109 seats

Odds are pretty good.

Not sure what their weight is for each section, but I'd be willing to bet they place a heavy weight on the interview. OSU is a tight knit school that likes to be unique and bond with her students.

After you've been invited for the interview, the interview matters more than grades. This is part of the ADEA or ADA study I will upload the picture soon. Just like Bio and RC matter slightly more than GC or OC (assuming you have a high AA and high TS score.)

Last edited:

MrAvicii

Removed
Reaction score
2ut680g.jpg