Dental School admission with a lot of C's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LCRUF

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So as you can tell by the title, I have a lot of C's on my transcript (over 10 C's) and a lot of them are in my science courses. I am a senior at my university and I am already planning on going for a post-bacc or a Master's but I'm not sure which one will benefit me more. I am wondering if anyone knows of any schools that have either a post-bacc bridge program to dental school or a master's bridge program to dental school. Thank you in advance:)

Members don't see this ad.

A post-bacc will raise your undergrad GPA so that you don't miss any cutoffs, a masters won't. With 10 C's that might be something you have to consider. I did an informal post-bac (50 credits) and got 7 interviews despite a couple D's and even an F from my freshman year (2008). Just get A's in every class here on out, no excuses, and kill the DAT.

Reactions: 1 users
A post-bacc will raise your undergrad GPA so that you don't miss any cutoffs, a masters won't. With 10 C's that might be something you have to consider. I did an informal post-bac (50 credits) and got 7 interviews despite a couple D's and even an F from my freshman year (2008). Just get A's in every class here on out, no excuses, and kill the DAT.
Thank you!! I'll look into a post-bacc then and not a Master's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 6 C's on my transcript (2 of them from O chem lol). Those were my lowest grades and I have had 3 interviews so far. I was in your position during my senior year and didn't even consider applying for dental schools and wanted to do a post-bacc program. I didn't think it was worth it for me and couldn't afford it, so I took the year to take my DAT, work and save money, and do more shadowing. I'd look into calculating how much a post-bacc would affect your GPA and if it even makes a difference.
With that being said, Boston University's program seemed very good. I have a friend doing a program at the local state school, which is probably more feasible.

Reactions: 1 users
I have quite a bit of Cs and currently have 5 interviews. Just kill the DAT and you will be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! So as you can tell by the title, I have a lot of C's on my transcript (over 10 C's) and a lot of them are in my science courses. I am a senior at my university and I am already planning on going for a post-bacc or a Master's but I'm not sure which one will benefit me more. I am wondering if anyone knows of any schools that have either a post-bacc bridge program to dental school or a master's bridge program to dental school. Thank you in advance:)
I just counted 11 Cs and 1 W on my transcript. I have 7 interview invites, but I did apply to 24 schools.

My advice is do well on the DAT and be prepared to apply to many schools. An informal post-bacc has served me well.

Reactions: 2 users
At our school, when an application has reached the tabletop for discussion and the applicant has a lower than average UG GPA, the things that are often looked at/discussed/questioned are as follows:

The biggest concerns we have: can this student handle the curriculum? Are we setting them up for failure by giving them a shot?

Another question that often comes up is: Is dentistry really what they want to do?

How the student can allay these concerns:
- Be able to self reflect and know that with your lowered GPA, you have to take some additional time and really prove yourself to the committees that you can do it
- Enroll in a post-bacc or masters (something science heavy) and rock it: we heavily consider upward trends
- Score high on your DATs
- Even though enrolling in these post-UG programs is hard, still try to set some time aside on the weekends to continue shadowing and doing some volunteer work (this really helps us see your drive and passion for dentistry)
- Don't be afraid to talk about what went wrong during UG resulting in those lower grades: was it work? was it family? whatever it may be, explain how you have changed and how you have grown

Honestly, our discussions over these applicants in my experience, assuming they have done all of the above, have been quite positive. They have worked their asses off to make a comeback and it's very commendable.

If you show us you want it, you'll be given the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: 5 users