Dental school advice - UNLV, MWU, ASDOH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teddyllama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for advice from current dental students from one of these three schools. I have been accepted to each and have been weighing pros and cons and find myself quite undecided. I find things I like and dislike personally in each. If you are a current student in one of these schools, could you please give me your take, pros/cons of your program. Just looking for some general thoughts. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

whats the total cost of attendance for each one?

+1. Omaralt konws his stuff.

OP: A friend of mine went off to medical last year and gave me some advice. He noted price is important but take it all into account. He wishes he would have looked at the cost of living in conjunction with the tuition he is paying because that is what your total cost will be. Something to think about along with tuition - even though I'm sure you've thought about that.

Congratz on all the acceptances!

whats the total cost of attendance for each one?

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't go to UNLV but I have met students from every class in that school. The consensus of those students is unfavorable toward UNLV. On the other hand, students from ASDOH that I have met seem to really enjoy it there.

Thank you for the replies!

Cost difference is pretty minimal, all in the mid 50's. Geographical is pretty similar and cost of living is probably slightly lower in AZ.

I believe midwestern cost of attendance climbs up to almost 75k after you add all the additional fees such as technology, instrument etc

I wish my tuition was in the mid-50s. It's about 10,000 more than that. So ASDOH is very expensive when you factor in the cost of living...(yes living is relatively cheaper here). BUT I absolutely love my school. Yes LOVE! How many dental students can actually say that? I just started so I'm newbie but the faculty, staff & ambiance is absolutely phenomenal....very welcoming, down to earth, responsive and they truly want you to succeed. I truly have NOT been stressed out at all...I like the modular system...I study & have a social life! I have not made one C yet *knocks on wood.*

Soooooo...overall I'm happy I came here...my only con is the cost. Oh and congratulations on your acceptances.

Last edited:
I'm a D3 at ASDOH. While the module system is nice at inflating your grades, it makes a little harder for you to retain the information for boards. However they give you 7 weeks off in between D1 and D2 year to study for part one so you have plenty of time to prepare. The sim clinic closes at 5pm everyday which is nice so you don't have to stay late, bad in that it's harder to get time in to practice. Research is scarce at ASDOH. However they'll send you to another dental school for the summer to conduct research. I spent 6 weeks at Baylor this past summer doing oral cancer/salivary diagnostics research. We do a lot of public health at ASDOH. Some like it, some hate it, but I'm getting my MPH so I don't think it's too bad. Clinic is pretty cool, I feel like I'm getting a good experience. We don't have a shortage of patients and my patient load is finally at the point where I'm busy everyday. Also, we do very little lab work here. Aside from custom trays, occlusal rims, and maybe the occasional wax up for an onlay, you don't have to do much lab work. Lastly, during our fourth year we spend half the time away at external rotation sites across the US. This is pretty awesome because you get tons of experience. Overall I'm pretty happy that I go here. I would choose ASDOH again in a heart beat, and given your 3 choices I think it's the best.

Thank you both for your insight into ASDOH, really appreciate your thoughts.

Quattro: what's housing and cost of living like in Mesa?

Nice, thank you... I will be in town Friday to look at the schools again. Hope to have decisions wrapped up asap. I'd like to start sleeping again ;)