Dental School and Free Time/Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basketball_grey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To current dental students, how much free time do you have? Is it like having an 8-5 job with "work" (studying) afterwards? How many hours do you study every night? Do you have time for hobbies after classes for the day?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your school and the time of year. Also if you have required lectures, exams, labs, practicals, clinic, boards, etc...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So say if you just wanted to pass and be competent. Not trying to gun for any certain spot. Is the workload pretty manageable?

Lol the answer is, it depends on lots of things. Me personally, am not a gunner, more of a worrier. Still I found time to watch TV shows and kdrama (I've finished at least 7-8 TV shows and about 12-13 kdramas for the past 2 years haha). I do Ok on exams to pass and I treat my patients right so no complaints really. Since I started 3rd year, there's a lot more free time lol.

I see couple of of D2s coming to gym at 6 am and arrive at class at 7:15 am and study til 8 am until required lectures begin. I dont know when do they go to bed though.

I am already doing this before starting D1 so that my body adopts to this schedule. Feels great and healthy too. Bath rooms and showers are clean cause no one used them. And i meet dental residents and second yrs at the gym. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I see couple of of D2s coming to gym at 6 am and arrive at class at 7:15 am and study til 8 am until required lectures begin. I dont know when do they go to bed though.

I am already doing this before starting D1 so that my body adopts to this schedule. Feels great and healthy too. Bath rooms and showers are clean cause no one used them. And i meet dental residents and second yrs at the gym. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
same been waking up before 6 every day. :highfive:

As someone who shoots for an A, i have my work cut out for me. Its a lot of time planning though. I probably stay up until 1:00a.m. studying and such, but that doesn't keep me from going out with friends for dinner or having some good times. (I wake up pretty late tho.. Its a bad habit.. :/)You just can't waste time when studying. Manage your time and come up with a realistic approach to tackling the workload. Yes, some days you'll have to miss out, but if that means an A vs. a C on a test, I believe it is well worth it. If you want free time, you'll find it easily at the expense of retention of info and competency

-Fyz

As someone who shoots for an A, i have my work cut out for me. Its a lot of time planning though. I probably stay up until 1:00a.m. studying and such, but that doesn't keep me from going out with friends for dinner or having some good times. (I wake up pretty late tho.. Its a bad habit.. :/)You just can't waste time when studying. Manage your time and come up with a realistic approach to tackling the workload. Yes, some days you'll have to miss out, but if that means an A vs. a C on a test, I believe it is well worth it. If you want free time, you'll find it easily at the expense of retention of info and competency

-Fyz
My school for the most part is nonmandatory and it's great.

Last edited:
Questions: Are rankings public knowledge? Do those at the top of the rankings all want to specialize for the sake of specializing? Does one ever find one at the top for the very sake of trying to become the best possible jack-of-all-trades general dentist?

Questions: Are rankings public knowledge? Do those at the top of the rankings all want to specialize for the sake of specializing? Does one ever find one at the top for the very sake of trying to become the best possible jack-of-all-trades general dentist?

For the most part, ranking is confidential. At our school it's mailed out in a sealed envelope. There are some who do excel with only the intention of practicing general dentistry, but your time is better spent in clinic than learning how to read ECGs if you want to be the best general dentist you can be. So there is a trade-off.