Dental School and Kids, is it doable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpwalker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really trying to decide can I handle DS with being a mother? Can anyone give me some insight? How can I manage the two?

Members don't see this ad.

I have 4 kids, but my wife stays home and runs the house. However, at school, we have at least 3 moms in my class: all three have 3 kids. One of the moms even delivered one of their babies during our first year. The ages range from 1 y/o to 12 y/o. I will add that none of these mothers are single. Each of their husbands either attends school with us or stays at home to work/take care of the kids. As far as being able to succeed at d-school, I think it's very doable.

I am really trying to decide can I handle DS with being a mother? Can anyone give me some insight? How can I manage the two?

You can handle anything, just tell yourself that.
It's going to be a hell of alot of work, and everyone is going to have to sacrifice, to make it work.

Big kids?or toddlers.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think it's possible to manage anything. But like the other posters said, "It's a sacrifice." But it is for everybody who's in school in one way or another. There will be students having it easier than you and some that will have it harder. There will be students who have to work during school, like me, and those that can afford not to. There are those that were pregnant or who have families in school, not me, and those that do not. I really think that you just have to come to terms with you and your situation. Know your situation is yours and is unique in it's own way. You can make the best of it. Dental school is an opportunity. If you view it that way, as I did, you can do it. You will be stonger and happier for meeting the challenges. It is indeed doable. Best Wishes with your decision.

Yes it is doable! I am entering in to my junior year of dental school. I have a 6 year-old daughter and a nine month old son. That's right, my son was born during dental school- the summer before my sophomore year.
Is it doable? Absolutely! Is it tough? You bet. For me, the only thing that lets me keep my sanity is that I don't stress too much over grades. I don't want to specialize, so I'm perfectly content with Bs, even a few Cs.
My husband works full time. My daughter is in kindergarten and my son goes to daycare. I make sure that I do most of my studying when the kids are in bed if at all possible. The key is time management. You just have to figure out what kind of schedule works for you.
There aren't many female dental student with children, at least at my school. There aren't any in my class besides me, but there are two in the class above me. But you absolutely can make it work.

You can do it!
Ensure you have a good support system, freinds, family,it helps alot; and you'll be on your way.