Dental School and New Pet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalgirl101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok this might seem like a really bizarre question, but I've always always always wanted a pet dog. I was never able to have one because of my family's fear of it. This brought me to thinking about how I am going to move out during dental school and live on my own which means I could adopt a pet however I don't want to neglect the puppy at all. I was wondering if dental school work will permit me having a new animal or will I just not find the time to take care of it?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely not a good idea to train a puppy during your D1 and D2 years. A dog that is already trained sure, but it's a whole nother ballpark training one.

Ok this might seem like a really bizarre question, but I've always always always wanted a pet dog. I was never able to have one because of my family's fear of it. This brought me to thinking about how I am going to move out during dental school and live on my own which means I could adopt a pet however I don't want to neglect the puppy at all. I was wondering if dental school work will permit me having a new animal or will I just not find the time to take care of it?
I would not recommend this.
It would be unfair. To the dog.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A couple of my classmates got dogs as D1s.

School isn't everything. Some people have kids to raise, others pets to play with... but you should understand that having that extra responsibility will detract from your studies. As long as you are OK with that, then it'll be fine. Is it manageable? Yeah, of course. Is it gonna make it hard to be the best in your class? Yeah, because now you have more responsibilities on your plate. It's up to you what your goals are.

Dental school isn't easy. But you live once. Do what you love. Live your life how you want to.

I want a dog really really bad too. I think it's more doable starting D3. Plus it'll give you a nice thing to work towards and motivate you. My friend had a dog in undergrad as an engineer so it's definitely possible. But you have to AT LEAST study all the time at home and take him out twice/three times a day. You'll also have to cut back significantly on meeting friends after school or even dating. You're already gone 45hrs a week

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You'll also have to cut back significantly on meeting friends after school or even dating
You could always bring the dog to meet friends, or even bring the dog on dates. Or go on dates with the dog if no one else wants to date...

Reactions: 2 users
My SO got a dog while he's in dental school. A rescue greyhound! They are total couch potatoes and would happily sleep until he come home to walk/run her. Quick walk in the morning before he start school and quick run around 6pm after school is enough to exhaust the poor dog. :p Greyhounds are the perfect breed if you dont have as much time....

Im starting D1 this upcoming fall and my corgi puppy will be 9 month old. A little nervous about having him. Im planning on studying at home and taking him out whenever I hang with people... He can be the class therapy dog.

If you are really worry about time, cat are also cute tooo :)

i took my dog to dschool. it was fine the first year. but over time it became increasingly more and more difficult to take care of him. if i wanted to stay around at school to study, lab work, etc after class, i had to make arrangements to go home, walk/feed/care for my dog. after a while it became more and more cumbersome to manage and i felt that i was neglecting him more and more. i ended up giving him to the parents of a classmate. they loved him as they were my "babysitters" for vacations and such. he had a much better life and had a family to play with all day everyday.

if you have a partner/SO/etc that can help you care for a dog then go for it. doing it single is tough unless you are a homebody. just my opinion of course.

Reactions: 1 users
My SO got a dog while he's in dental school. A rescue greyhound! They are total couch potatoes and would happily sleep until he come home to walk/run her. Quick walk in the morning before he start school and quick run around 6pm after school is enough to exhaust the poor dog. :p Greyhounds are the perfect breed if you dont have as much time....

Im starting D1 this upcoming fall and my corgi puppy will be 9 month old. A little nervous about having him. Im planning on studying at home and taking him out whenever I hang with people... He can be the class therapy dog.

If you are really worry about time, cat are also cute tooo :)

Cute! Yeah, I think as long as you're the type to study at home and not wanting to be out 24/7 then having a dog that is trained is totally fine. So many people have dogs while in dental school.

i took my dog to dschool. it was fine the first year. but over time it became increasingly more and more difficult to take care of him. if i wanted to stay around at school to study, lab work, etc after class, i had to make arrangements to go home, walk/feed/care for my dog. after a while it became more and more cumbersome to manage and i felt that i was neglecting him more and more. i ended up giving him to the parents of a classmate. they loved him as they were my "babysitters" for vacations and such. he had a much better life and had a family to play with all day everyday.

if you have a partner/SO/etc that can help you care for a dog then go for it. doing it single is tough unless you are a homebody. just my opinion of course.

Sad but nice that he has a good life now!

Actually, you can adopt a dog. I am sure if you just walk him out with him once every day and love him enough, is so much better than the dog dying slowly in the shelter, alone, not wanted, and waiting for the day they will is put to sleep.

So, yeah postpone I would the puppy idea, and adopt a dog!

I have two dogs I'm bringing to dental school (5 and 3 years old). Puppies are a ton of work, so I would avoid getting a puppy. Adopting an adult or senior dog may be a better choice if they are house trained!