Dental School Calculus Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burnthestatus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow pre- and dental students!
I hope everyone is well. I wanted to know whether the Northeast dental schools (i.e. Tufts, BU, Stonybrook, UCONN) require calculus I & II for admissions. I know BU did require it last year. If these schools require them, how serious are they about it? If I don't take any calc for my Bio undergrad, will it hinder me from being competitive (gpa 3.78)? Would really like some input from those who have applied, gotten in, etc. Thank you in advance for help and time!

Members don't see this ad.

Strange, I was accepted to BU with absolutely no intention of taking any more than trig and they didn't even list calculus as a pre-req to be fulfilled on my letter. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello fellow pre- and dental students!
I hope everyone is well. I wanted to know whether the Northeast dental schools (i.e. Tufts, BU, Stonybrook, UCONN) require calculus I & II for admissions. I know BU did require it last year. If these schools require them, how serious are they about it? If I don't take any calc for my Bio undergrad, will it hinder me from being competitive (gpa 3.78)? Would really like some input from those who have applied, gotten in, etc. Thank you in advance for help and time!

How can you get any science degree without taking calc????????????

I hope not. I deliberately talked my counselor out of making me take it for my major because I didn't think dental school even required it. UCSF's list of prereqs doesn't say anything about math

How can you get any science degree without taking calc????????????

There are many science degrees that don't require ANY calc.

Reactions: 1 user
There are many science degrees that don't require ANY calc.

I thought since calculus is such a signifigant human acomplishment, and it has applications in almost every field of study, most students must learn it. At my university all biology students need a year of it, and there are some majors such as econ and buesiness, that take their own scaled down version of it. I loved calc(well at least calcII), there are so many concepts in chemistry and biology, where a background in calculus is beneficial if not essential.

I think everyone should take it, its realy a great class. It should be like taking socociology and phycology, a basic core class everyone should take for their own benefit.

I guess what I am trying to say Calc, one shouldn't try to avoid calculus because its one of those classes that change your outlook on so many fields of study. And it can be fun.

Most schools dont require it, some of the Ivy leagues do I think Harvard requires 2 semesters

Why get a degree?

Why not, I am proud to be attaining a my BS in Biochem. I worked very hard for it and have the option not to get it, but the way I look at it, I have made it this far why stop. And correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that extra year of taking of sciece classes help in the future. Most matriculated students have degrees. Plus when you graduate people send you money.

I hope not. I deliberately talked my counselor out of making me take it for my major because I didn't think dental school even required it. UCSF's list of prereqs doesn't say anything about math

You can actually talk an adviser out of making you take a degree requirement? Would you please, please, please elaborate on how you managed to do this? Expose the secret tricks and techniques! :) If you'd rather not post about it here, feel free to PM me...