Dental School Chances Virginia Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redtag861

Reaction score
Date of submission:
Overall GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Taking this summer
State of Residence: Virginia

Undergrad Attended:
University of Alabama
Major: Public Health
Minor: Biology
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? I am applying for the 2025 cycle but I will graduate from my undergrad in the Spring of 2024. I received my Pre-Med Associates from a Community College then transferred. I am wondering how I should spend my time with the year in between.

Shadowing Experience:
50 + general dentist. (obtaining more at the moment)
Volunteering Experience:
Boys and Girls club 400+ hours
YMCA 350 hours
Volunteer Volleyball Coach 100 hr

Employment:
YMCA- Front desk manager 1 year
Babysitter during the summer

Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Played Volleyball at a community college, Pre-dental Club, Crimson Chaos, Toothfairy Club,HOSA, Phi Theta Kappa
Relevant Honors or Awards: Alumni Scholarship Award, Capstone Transfer Scholarship award,

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Was selected as a student representative for the state of Virginia Board Committee. For the Virginia Community College Systems to find a new chancellor for the VCCS. Went to Richmond multiple times a month for meetings and conducted interviews.
School list:
MUSC, UAB, LMU, Rutgers, Case Western, Temple, UK, Louisville

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission:
Overall GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Taking this summer
State of Residence: Virginia

Undergrad Attended:
University of Alabama
Major: Public Health
Minor: Biology
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? I am applying for the 2025 cycle but I will graduate from my undergrad in the Spring of 2024. I received my Pre-Med Associates from a Community College then transferred. I am wondering how I should spend my time with the year in between.

Shadowing Experience:
50 + general dentist. (obtaining more at the moment)
Volunteering Experience:
Boys and Girls club 400+ hours
YMCA 350 hours
Volunteer Volleyball Coach 100 hr

Employment:
YMCA- Front desk manager 1 year
Babysitter during the summer

Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Played Volleyball at a community college, Pre-dental Club, Crimson Chaos, Toothfairy Club,HOSA, Phi Theta Kappa
Relevant Honors or Awards: Alumni Scholarship Award, Capstone Transfer Scholarship award,

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Was selected as a student representative for the state of Virginia Board Committee. For the Virginia Community College Systems to find a new chancellor for the VCCS. Went to Richmond multiple times a month for meetings and conducted interviews.
School list:
MUSC, UAB, LMU, Rutgers, Case Western, Temple, UK, Louisville
have you volunteered, shadowed, or attended events at UAB d school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you choosing to take a gap-year?
Due to having way more college credits I am graduating a year early. It kind of worked out this way. I was debating on working as a dental assistant during this time to save money for dental school

Reactions: 1 user
Due to having way more college credits I am graduating a year early. It kind of worked out this way. I was debating on working as a dental assistant during this time to save money for dental school
You can always apply to dental school before you start your gap year; there are plenty of people who start Dschool a year early. If you graduate a year early you'll be making a lot more than an assistant.

You can always apply to dental school before you start your gap year; there are plenty of people who start Dschool a year early. If you graduate a year early you'll be making a lot more than an assistant.
I will graduate from undergrad next spring 2024 and Apply next summer

I will graduate from undergrad next spring 2024 and Apply next summer
Exactly, you still have time right now or over the summer to take the DAT and apply this year (applications open June 1st) because you could get accepted and start dental school in 2024.

If I were in your position:

I would start studying for the DAT right now. I would use DATBooster (most people's favorite), and take 2-3 months studying it with your current coursework. Aim to take the DAT mid-June and score 21+ on every section. After finishing the DAT spend the next couple of weeks working on your personal statement, letters of recommendation (you should/could ask for those now/soon), essays, etc., for all of the programs you want to apply to. Try to complete your AASDSAS applications by June 30th if you take the DAT on June 15th. Start interviewing at programs in September, October, November, and get accepted this December. Finish your undergrad and roll into a dental school in the summer/fall of 2024. Save a year where you don't have to work as a dental assistant.

Don't wait. Do the application grind right now; you'll thank yourself later.

Essentially what I didi^

I’m graduating this spring, starting a pre-doctoral research program over the summer at the dental school and then rolling into classes come august so I don’t have to wait a year.

Obviously this is pretty short notice and you’d have to get the grind going now. The more you’d wait the less your chances are. Usually want to get your apps in ASAP as close to June first as you can. Mid July is okay. August is pushing it. September is then late and sets you back.

Taking a year to get stuff done is helpful but you want to make sure you are doing something beneficial to your app. Adcoms will want to see things; volunteering, working, having hobbies. You basically don’t want to be sitting around. As long as you have somewhat of a plan it’s fine. You want to make sure you have the best app you can when you submit for the first time. You only get to be a first time applicant once. Use it wisely. I would error on the side of caution when applying, don't rush things. That will screw you. Have a plan, make sure everything is ready, and then apply. If you can get things done by this June/July it might be worth it to try and apply now than wait. But if you aren't ready and you need extra time, then just take the gap year, do some meaningful work, and make sure you apply on June first.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Essentially what I didi^

I’m graduating this spring, starting a pre-doctoral research program over the summer at the dental school and then rolling into classes come august so I don’t have to wait a year.

Obviously this is pretty short notice and you’d have to get the grind going now. The more you’d wait the less your chances are. Usually want to get your apps in ASAP as close to June first as you can. Mid July is okay. August is pushing it. September is then late and sets you back.

Taking a year to get stuff done is helpful but you want to make sure you are doing something beneficial to your app. Adcoms will want to see things; volunteering, working, having hobbies. You basically don’t want to be sitting around. As long as you have somewhat of a plan it’s fine. You want to make sure you have the best app you can when you submit for the first time. You only get to be a first time applicant once. Use it wisely. I would error on the side of caution when applying, don't rush things. That will screw you. Have a plan, make sure everything is ready, and then apply. If you can get things done by this June/July it might be worth it to try and apply now than wait. But if you aren't ready and you need extra time, then just take the gap year, do some meaningful work, and make sure you apply on June first.

Good luck!
Would you recommend getting a master's degree? or should I work and volunteer?

You don’t need a masters degree, that’s redundant. I would work and get experience as a DA if you want to and add more volunteer hours and maybe take up a hobby or 2 that involves good hand skills. Just fill your time with meaningful experiences. Most of the people I interviewed with were on their first or second gap year. I was in the minority like only 30-40% of those I interviewed with were graduating and going straight to grad school.

You don’t need a masters degree, that’s redundant. I would work and get experience as a DA if you want to and add more volunteer hours and maybe take up a hobby or 2 that involves good hand skills. Just fill your time with meaningful experiences. Most of the people I interviewed with were on their first or second gap year. I was in the minority like only 30-40% of those I interviewed with were graduating and going straight to grad school.
Thank you so much!
Even with going to a community college first? I do not want this to hurt my application. Since some of my prereqs are from there

Thank you so much!
Even with going to a community college first? I do not want this to hurt my application. Since some of my prereqs are from there
You should be okay, if the credits transferred to your 4 year Uni and you graduate with a degree from them it should be fine. Many applicants do CC first then transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.