Dental School dropout looking at Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueskills

Reaction score
Hi all, I was looking for some advice on applying to medical school! (Thank you in advance)

I worked for four years, from 2016-2021, as a day trader, specifically in stocks and cryptocurrency

Withdrew from Dental School (Back in 2016) due to bad grades. Appealed the decision and was denied.
GPA: 2.6
DAT: 25

Undergraduate Degree: Top 25 Institution; Class of 2015.
GPA: 3.53
ACT: 34

Overall GPA: 3.17 (The highest this variable can increase is up to 3.3 with a -perfect- two-year, MS program)

1. Currently looking for a position as a medical scribe at ScribeAmerica
2. After two years of working as a medical scribe (Volunteering and other ECs definitely included), I will apply to a MS Program of some sort in order to attempt to demonstrate 're-invention'.
3. Study hard and take the MCAT

My question is should I even consider applying to DO school if I already have an IA against me from Dental School? I can already imagine what the admissions committee will say about it. Not to mention my GPA took a huge hit, as a result. I have had many people who went to medical school tell me that I should spend my time working on another career.

Just to work hard for four years and be back in the same position with even more debt would be awkward to say the least.

Members don't see this ad.

hmm, why did you do bad in dental school? Medical school is as hard or harder than dental school so why do you think you'd do better in med school?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
hmm, why did you do bad in dental school? Medical school is as hard or harder than dental school so why do you think you'd do better in med school?
I never went to class and set my goals to 'just pass school' when I should have set my goal to 'do my best' in school.

I was very stubborn, immature (Started immediately after undergrad), and had a poor work ethic that was effective in undergrad but fell apart during my second year of dental school. They gave me so many chances, and I messed up each time.

I do believe that I am more mature now partly because of the pain that failure has caused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forget medical of dental careers. You’re done. Maybe Caribbean medical school. Highly risky. Go back to day trading.

Reactions: 1 users
Forget medical of dental careers. You’re done. Maybe Caribbean medical school. Highly risky. Go back to day trading.
The main reason is the withdrawal, correct?

I was under the impression that if I happened to be successful in a master's program, on the MCAT, and with volunteering/ECs, that I would have a remote chance at osteopathic schools? I would think that MD is completely out of the question.

I'm not sure even SGU would take me lol since a 3.17 with an IA from a dental school is pretty bad.

If I were to apply to a Caribbean school, it would be to directly bypass the damage that this IA and GPA have on any potential medical school application, so I would essentially have a 'fresh slate' if I attended a Caribbean school. I would essentially be forcing myself to have to withstand specific rigors unique to a Caribbean program. I.E. High costs, limited residency options, 50% match rate, and the for-profit mechanism.

Hi all, I was looking for some advice on applying to medical school! (Thank you in advance)

I worked for four years, from 2016-2021, as a day trader, specifically in stocks and cryptocurrency

Withdrew from Dental School (Back in 2016) due to bad grades. Appealed the decision and was denied.
GPA: 2.6
DAT: 25

Undergraduate Degree: Top 25 Institution; Class of 2015.
GPA: 3.53
ACT: 34

Overall GPA: 3.17 (The highest this variable can increase is up to 3.3 with a -perfect- two-year, MS program)

1. Currently looking for a position as a medical scribe at ScribeAmerica
2. After two years of working as a medical scribe (Volunteering and other ECs definitely included), I will apply to a MS Program of some sort in order to attempt to demonstrate 're-invention'.
3. Study hard and take the MCAT

My question is should I even consider applying to DO school if I already have an IA against me from Dental School? I can already imagine what the admissions committee will say about it. Not to mention my GPA took a huge hit, as a result. I have had many people who went to medical school tell me that I should spend my time working on another career.

Just to work hard for four years and be back in the same position with even more debt would be awkward to say the least.
1) Your failing out of dental school would have me question your ability to handle med school
2) Strongly suggest that you ace an SMP or a DIY post-bac.
Read this:

You have your work cut out for you as you need to show that you're running TO Medicine, not merely running away from (a failed attempt at) DDS.

Please clarify the IA in DDS school. Was it due to academics, or something worse?

I mean, you have to ask yourself if medicine is the only thing that you can see yourself as happy doing.

You will be ~30 by the time you apply with a significant red flag (dropping out of dental school is going to really hurt your chances). It will be a big risk, even with a great MCAT and a MS program under your belt. DO admissions process, though easier than MD admissions, is no cake-walk and generally more competitive than dental school admissions. I would probably find something else that brought be happiness if I were you. That is just me.

If you decide to go for it, I wish you luck. Make sure to have a plan B thought-out.

1) Your failing out of dental school would have me question your ability to handle med school
2) Strongly suggest that you ace an SMP or a DIY post-bac.
Read this:

You have your work cut out for you as you need to show that you're running TO Medicine, not merely running away from (a failed attempt at) DDS.

Please clarify the IA in DDS school. Was it due to academics, or something worse?
1) This makes sense
2) Specifically one with linkage to a medical school? Would LECOM's MMS be a good option?

The reason for the IA was failing a critical pre-clinical course multiple times (couldn't drill a square in a plastic tooth). The school was likely frustrated given I had a reasonable ability to do the coursework but kept failing and denied readmission. I was also thoroughly unprepared for the meeting with the executive meeting and had done nothing of value to warrant getting back into school. I think they actually felt bad they had to make that decision in hindsight.

Isn't being expelled and denied readmission almost as bad as a felony in the eyes of an admissions committee? I've had my eyes on the Caribbean for years maybe that could save me time, though the changing of Step 1 to P/F is concerning for residency matching purposes.

I've had my eyes on the Caribbean for years maybe that could save me time, though the changing of Step 1 to P/F is concerning for residency matching purposes.
do not go to a Caribbean school!! this is an insane idea for most everyone, especially someone who has already dropped out of a US dental program. please, for your own financial security, do not do this lol.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
do not go to a Caribbean school!! this is an insane idea for most everyone, especially someone who has already dropped out of a US dental program. please, for your own financial security, do not do this lol.
Yeah it's definitely a huge, huge risk

I have another question about osteopathic admissions committees: Why don't they just automatically shelve applications that have prior dropouts and denied readmissions? There are so many fish in the sea after all, right? That makes the most sense to me.

1) This makes sense

2) Specifically one with linkage to a medical school? Would LECOM's MMS be a good option?
Yes, in fact, it might be your only hope
The reason for the IA was failing a critical pre-clinical course multiple times (couldn't drill a square in a plastic tooth). The school was likely frustrated given I had a reasonable ability to do the coursework but kept failing and denied readmission. I was also thoroughly unprepared for the meeting with the executive meeting and had done nothing of value to warrant getting back into school. I think they actually felt bad they had to make that decision in hindsight.

Isn't being expelled and denied readmission almost as bad as a felony in the eyes of an admissions committee?
Yes.

I've had my eyes on the Caribbean for years maybe that could save me time, though the changing of Step 1 to P/F is concerning for residency matching purposes.
That sound you hear off in the distance is the smacking of lips of the Caribbean Predators, thinking about yet another desperate mark.

One of the things that you have yet to show is that your maturity has changed, and that you could handle a professional School.

• Haha
Don’t go the Caribbean route. A buddy of mine from my postbac program tried to rush through his premed coursework, did poorly, performed poorly on the MCAT, and decided to attend a big 3 Caribbean program. they just failed to match and soap. Loan payments will start being due in September and has no options for the year except scrambling to find research or clinical opportunities. The risks are real and too great to accept unless you have significant financial resources at your disposal. My friend is going to feel the financial impact for the rest of their lives.

• Love
Yes, in fact, it might be your only hope

One of the things that you have yet to show is that your maturity has changed, and that you could handle a professional School.
Just got off the phone with LECOM. The guy told me that he has never seen anyone get in with my situation (3.17 and dental school dropout) be successful after successfully acing the MMS.

gg... or is it?

Last edited:
I think you should first figure out if you're CAPABLE of doing well in academics. Your next step i think should be to answer this question and make it a question you want answered for yourself.

Maybe in a masters you can have that amswered. If you dont do well in the masters even if you put in all your effort, then that's gg for med school - but at least you got a masters out of it....

• Love
Their official one year Masters program
I know that. I was the one who suggested it to you. What I was asking is that their response to you sounds like you are facing an extremely uphill battle. Think El Capitan in Yosemite National Park.

That is why I suggested that doing a do it yourself post bacc might be your only solution, if special Master's programs are not possible.

I know that. I was the one who suggested it to you. What I was asking is that their response to you sounds like you are facing an extremely uphill battle. Think El Capitan in Yosemite National Park.

That is why I suggested that doing a do it yourself post bacc might be your only solution, if special Master's programs are not possible.
I just got off the phone with the Chair of an Admissions Committee at an Osteopathic Medical School.

He said that I should take the MCAT first to see if I have a competitive MCAT score (reasoning was that the MCAT is cheaper than a MS program so why not) and THEN do an SMP, as a high MCAT and SMP GPA will 'turn heads' and 'attract attention'

(MCATs expire in 3y though)

I just got off the phone with the Chair of an Admissions Committee at an Osteopathic Medical School.

He said that I should take the MCAT first to see if I have a competitive MCAT score (reasoning was that the MCAT is cheaper than a MS program so why not) and THEN do an SMP, as a high MCAT and SMP GPA will 'turn heads' and 'attract attention'

If you go this route, just remember. If you dont think you did well, Click Void at the end. You can take the mcat 7 times in a lifetime. Schools can see your total attempts i think even if you void. If you score it and did bad, you're totally screwed.

It is always best to take the MCAT either before or after a special master's program, and definitely not during.