Dental school feels like Highschool all over again...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scientist1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just started dental school and i can't believe the makeup of my class. it feels like i'm back in highschool, with all the talking and the being cool and all of that. We have people in our class that still act like they are Gangsters or something, and think its cool, i mean come on..... ..man i thought dental school would have more mature and professional students, boy was i wrong......

Members don't see this ad.

where do u go to dental school? our class was pretty much a bunch of overacheivers (aka dorks).

my class is a good mix of dorks, jocks, and gangsters, but we all are pretty friendly and get along with each other.
but what cracks me up is the childish jealousy, backstabbing, gossip, and slandering that a few of the cliques carry on, heheh... it definitely reminds me of high school

Members don't see this ad :)
aah crap and i bet the gangsters are all asians too. Fob gangsters. LOL. Good luck to you bro which school is that so i avoid it.

High school was a blast.

Scientist1 said:
Hey everyone, I just started dental school and i can't believe the makeup of my class. it feels like i'm back in highschool, with all the talking and the being cool and all of that. We have people in our class that still act like they are Gangsters or something, and think its cool, i mean come on..... ..man i thought dental school would have more mature and professional students, boy was i wrong......

hahhahaa welcome to the dental school's world. That is just a beginning. More to come later. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Wait until some of your expensive instruments start to disappear mysteriously :( :( :(

Scientist1 said:

It was more like starting 5th grade all over again for me. Hell, a bunch of the us in my class play kickball between breaks.

Scientist1 said:

Seriously, what school do you go to? I want to make an informed decision. Thanks

ARguy said:
Seriously, what school do you go to? I want to make an informed decision. Thanks

keep in mind that every class will be different and there is no way to predict what your class will be like. For instance, my sophmore class at Temple is a TOTALLY different makeup than the new freshman class

kato999 said:
It was more like starting 5th grade all over again for me. Hell, a bunch of the us in my class play kickball between breaks.

ROFL. Yeah, until the big mean man told us to stay off the grass. The grass is just for looks, you know.

kato999 said:

that actually sounds like a lot of fun.

Scientist1 said:

And if I was in charge at this school I think I would have these gangster wannabe's piss in the cup. 95% chance it will come up positive for some kind of narcotic. This way there is still time to get some waitlisted-didn't-get-accepted-deserving-to-go-to-dental-school-students in before it is too late!

If dental school was only filled with dorks, it would suck.

Members don't see this ad :)
dorks, jocks, asian gangsters? plz tell us which school is comprised of that, so we can run away as far as possible

Scientist1 said:

Wake up to reality! The world is full of people who act like they are still in high school regardless of their age or profession! :laugh: Including me ;)

teefRcool said:
Fob gangsters.

I give fob gangstas three thumbs up: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ................................................. jk

my school is cool. ppl cut infront of me while waiting to get **** checked off.

Scientist1 said:

damn man, when you are part of a class that is as small as dental school classes are then what do you expect? just make some friends who are like you and stop bitching. and if you can't do that then everyone is probably complaining about you.

for example, i like to drink and play horseshoes, therefore me and my friends enjoy going out whenever we get the chance and throwing metal rings at a metal stake. i'm sure people complain about me but that's how its going to be everywhere

I'm in the cool people group and therefore completely oblivious to the other losers in my class.

dentalman said:
I'm in the cool people group and therefore completely oblivious to the other losers in my class.

+1. and I like kickball too! :laugh:

Scientist1 said:

Me thinks it is more like prison: they tell you where to go, what to do, and how to do it. And if someone tries to make you their b!tch, you just stick 'em with a burr in DentSim.

what makes someone more "deserving" of getting in?

if you can't get better grades and DAT scores than some kids who probably spend more time ricing up their Honda's than studying, then you are hardly "deserving" of getting into dental school.

Funkdoctor said:
This way there is still time to get some waitlisted-didn't-get-accepted-deserving-to-go-to-dental-school-students in before it is too late!

At my school everyone treats each other with kindness and respect. Also, everyone is good-looking and smells nice too. And the teachers give us candy. And the desks have padded leather recliners with foot massagers and the nursing students give us back-rubs. Ok so I don't actually start until Monday, but I'll let you know what we're like here.

USUaggie said:
At my school everyone treats each other with kindness and respect. Also, everyone is good-looking and smells nice too. And the teachers give us candy. And the desks have padded leather recliners with foot massagers and the nursing students give us back-rubs. Ok so I don't actually start until Monday, but I'll let you know what we're like here.
At my school we're one big happy family (54 students). There are definitely some cliques, but no gossiping or hating going on. I feel like everyone really cares about each other....its pretty nice. last weekend I went to the South Carolina at Georgia Bulldogs football game in Athens and I had at least 10 missed calls from buds in class seeing how much fun I was having. Love your classmates..they will be your best friends forever :love: :laugh:

xddsx said:
... but what cracks me up is the childish jealousy, backstabbing, gossip, and slandering that a few of the cliques carry on, heheh... it definitely reminds me of high school

I just started orientation last week, and certainly my class has a mixed of people. I see Spocks and jocks. Which is okay, I suppose, I'll feel comforted by the jocks when I see my exam scores.

Now, I haven't noticed any childish jealousy, backstabbing, gossip and slandering that you mentioned but it has only been couple days anyway. I'll be avoiding those like the plague. Eeeks. All you UCLAers who read this, please leave me out of your negative brewery. :)

kato999 said:

In psychology, it's called regression, and stress can bring that on. We essentially regress to the development stage which we were fixated on before societal kicks in and tell us how to act.

I'll probably be frolicking around in the rain when the courses start to defecate in my life. Any experts on frolicking, maybe we'll have a lil' frolicking competition - however that goes. You get points for style, speed, and creativity. :laugh:

busupshot83 said:
I give fob gangstas three thumbs up: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ................................................. jk

I'm no fob gangster. I'm a Ninja, and I'll shred you in pieces if you make fun of me!!! ;)

Sprgrover said:
Me thinks it is more like prison: they tell you where to go, what to do, and how to do it. And if someone tries to make you their b!tch, you just stick 'em with a burr in DentSim.

lol.

Yeah. I get that feeling during orientation already. Show up at this time. Do this now. Sit in alphabetical order. Walk up here. Etc. Etc.

Sorry bout the 4 crazy consecutive posts, wasn't planned, simply came out this way.

Actually, I think that Dental School is more like kindergarden than high school. You are with the same group of students all day, you are "mostly" in the same room, you have arts and crafts projects, almost everyone has a lunchbox, and the "grownups" are mean. ;)

I have almost all my classes with medical students except for 4 hours each week...so more or less it's WORSE than highschool.
200+ people packed in a lecture hall...

Jaws said:
Actually, I think that Dental School is more like kindergarden than high school. You are with the same group of students all day, you are "mostly" in the same room, you have arts and crafts projects, almost everyone has a lunchbox, and the "grownups" are mean. ;)
I'm with you on the kindergarden analogy. I just got out of the first day orientation and it went really smooth until I peed my pants.
I miss my mom.

Seriously though, I miss the undergrad where we're only "in school" a few hours a day.

The undergrad with only a few hours was way to much free time on hand, lack of structure doesn't work for me. What works is fixed structure and routine, so I don't have to plan what to do. Tell me what to do, and I'll do it - especially when it comes to dental school.

Sprgrover said:

haha....YOU CAN'T BE MORE RIGHT!!! Dental school feels so much like prison, being told what to wear, when to sleep and when to piss. And casting all these crowns is like stamping out license plates all day. The food however can't be worse than the slop they serve in dental school. So i have to say that prison can't be all bad.

Adult kindergarten is how I describe it to all everyone who is not in dental school. We have class together, we have the stressed out version of art class, and people start acting up and everything. It's an entirerly unique culture.

USUaggie said:
I'm with you on the kindergarden analogy. I just got out of the first day orientation and it went really smooth until I peed my pants.
I miss my mom.

Seriously though, I miss the undergrad where we're only "in school" a few hours a day.

QTpieDMD said:
people start acting up and everything.

Exactly what I'm thinking of! When stress hits, we all regress to a developmental stage where we were fixated on. For examle, if we were on the anal stage, that's where we will be. Have you ever met people who were stressed and running out of time before an exam, and yet they have to vaccum the floor, or wipe off the dust on the window sill?

For the most part people are very friendly and sociable, but gossip spreads like wild fire. I hear so much crap about everyone and I do not participate in it. Everyone has secrete and some times detrimental nicknames for everyone in the class. I found out my former name was the Grim reaper because I am all ways take a pessimistic view. Plus, I think there are a lot of unconventional people in D school. I personally do not feel comfortable in school because I do not like socializing with the majority of the people there. Typical conversations are about fear of Marriage, how crazy some students are to get engage, who’s a virgin, who screwing who, who mentally ill (possibility me??), who has gay tendencies, and recently if a man rejects a woman for sex is he gay. It is like morning radio; I can only stand 2 min of it. I probably don’t mix well given that I am married, have a child, and did all my fun and drinking in high school and first years of college. I still drink but not to socialize.

As far as professor, most are great and very helpful. Some I think they don’t know what they are talking about because I am confused after speaking with them, and other just do not care to explain. It does not really bother me much, I seek help from professors I want to get it from.
The work load is a lot, and you can only take in so much. The trick is filtering out the important information in the most efficient way. I was not a efficient student prior to my first year, but dental school force me to change my study methods. So in my second year, I have more enjoyable time with my family at home.

I agree with you.

UCLA will be starting on Monday, and we had a whole week of orientation. I can already imagine people gossiping left and right because somehow that is more relaxing than studying.

I choose not to participate in those as I see no purpose in doing so; a mere waste of life energy.

Thaxil said:
......Plus, I think there are a lot of unconventional people in D school. I personally do not feel comfortable in school because I do not like socializing with the majority of the people there. Typical conversations are about fear of Marriage, how crazy some students are to get engage, who’s a virgin, who screwing who, who mentally ill (possibility me??), who has gay tendencies, and recently if a man rejects a woman for sex is he gay. It is like morning radio; I can only stand 2 min of it. I probably don’t mix well given that I am married, have a child, and did all my fun and drinking in high school and first years of college. I still drink but not to socialize.....

do you go to IUSD by any chance? :laugh:

sounds like the kinda things that would be said in my class. except they wont stop at that. apparently, you are a gangster if you like sports or if you like to wear hats.

PERFECT3435 said:
do you go to IUSD by any chance? :laugh:

sounds like the kinda things that would be said in my class. except they wont stop at that. apparently, you are a gangster if you like sports or if you like to wear hats.
I be thuggin', yo. :D