Dental School GPA calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nang Doan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I really want to know how dental schools calculate their GPA, especially schools in TX. I graduated from Penn State University in 2008 with Management Information System degree. And My GPA isn't that high ( in the 2.00 - 3.00 range) And now I'm taking pre-dental courses and doing pretty good, my science GPA is 3.52. Now do dental schools use all of the undergrad courses in the overall GPA calculation? What are my chances? Please help, I'm so worry right now! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for sure about TX, but schools calculate a Science GPA and a Cumulative GPA. In my opinion, I think a 3.52 is a solid s-GPA assuming its after quite a few of the more difficult/upper div. classes.

EDIT: agree with Silencio, just a good s-GPA wont make them overlook a 2.3 c-GPA.

Last edited:
Yep, all undergrad courses are part of that calculation. Get that GPA over 3.0 to have any possible realistic chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I really want to know how dental schools calculate their GPA, especially schools in TX. I graduated from Penn State University in 2008 with Management Information System degree. And My GPA isn't that high ( in the 2.00 - 3.00 range) And now I'm taking pre-dental courses and doing pretty good, my science GPA is 3.52. Now do dental schools use all of the undergrad courses in the overall GPA calculation? What are my chances? Please help, I'm so worry right now! Thanks

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you'll get into a Texas school with those stats if you're from out of state. They only accept applicants with high stats and it's really quite competitive.

Also, the range doesn't help a whole lot. Actually my gpa is between (2.8-3.8) I'm not asking you to tel your specific stats, but between 2-3 is a huge difference.