Dental School Lectures VS. Med School Lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dynomite

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Occassionally I browse the medical school forums and have seen several threads in which med students claim to not go to lecture because it's a waste of time and they learn more by staying home and reading the notes/texts. I have yet to see any dental student say that about attending dental school lectures. Are medical school lectures and dental school lectures structured that differently? Is lecture attendance mandatory in dental school? Are medical students just a bunch of overrated slackers...or better yet, are medical school lectures truly worthless?

Members don't see this ad.

Dynomite said:
Occassionally I browse the medical school forums and have seen several threads in which med students claim to not go to lecture because it's a waste of time and they learn more by staying home and reading the notes/texts. I have yet to see any dental student say that about attending dental school lectures. Are medical school lectures and dental school lectures structured that differently? Is lecture attendance mandatory in dental school? Are medical students just a bunch of overrated slackers...or better yet, are medical school lectures truly worthless?

I would say there were MANY classes I did not go to so I could sleep or study... or do nothing. I think I went to three biochem lectures.. still got an A. You just have to understand which classes you need to go to. Obviously, all the preclinical lab classes, you must be there, no choice.

At my school all classes have mandatory attendance so we can't just skip class. We do alot of crossword puzzles though. For the most part I would say class, especially the sciences, is a waste of time. If you read the book and look at class notes you're usually going to be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dynomite said:

Its basically the same thing, med classes and dental classes. All the information you need to succeed is provided for you (powerpoint presentation, lecture notes, transcribed notes, old exams, etc..). Therefore, you can bail on many classes if you want.

decidpremol, which school do you attend?

What other schools have mandatory attendance?

I am at UT Memphis. I don't know of any other schools that have attendance policies though.

WildcatDMD said:
I would say there were MANY classes I did not go to so I could sleep or study... or do nothing. I think I went to three biochem lectures.. still got an A. You just have to understand which classes you need to go to. Obviously, all the preclinical lab classes, you must be there, no choice.
I went to the first couple days of Biochem as well, then realized that the extra hour of sleep in the morning would help when I was studying at night--never went again. I also rarely went to Oral Pathology, Pharmacology, and Histology. In my opinion, it has more to do with how complete the notes are. Do you need to go to class to complete the notes, or are they pretty much complete beforehand? I started out going to every Histo class. I took all kinds of notes in addition to what was on the handout. After the first test, I realized that they only tested material that was ON the handout already. After that, I never went. When it came around to test time, I had probably a fourth of the "notes" to study as the people who did go, so I had to study way less. It's ALWAYS a good idea to go back after the first test in a class and see what the instructor likes to test on. Sit down right afterwards and flip through your notes, marking stuff that was on the test. You would be amazed at how much easier it makes studying, and it will probably shock you to see how little of what you "added" was actually tested on. Any other opinions on this?

For the classes I'm interested in, I pay attention and take notes, trying to get the most out of lecture. That way, I don't have to study much for it later. For classes I don't care about, I usually take a nap during lecture and study a couple days before the test. Been working fine so far.

i don't go to lectures... never really felt like i gain anything from them.. but maybe it will change when i get to less basic science courses...

back to studying phys.. (just wish i went to those lectures now lol)