Dental School + Married w/children on way

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SerboDent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll be starting dental school this summer, and if my wife and I move away from home she will most likely be a stay at home mom raising our kids. Anyone have any ideas how she could make some money working from home, while still being able to devote the necessary time to raise our kids. Having one income coming in would obviously help immensely...especially with the two girls on their way. All helpful ideas would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'll be starting dental school this summer, and if my wife and I move away from home she will most likely be a stay at home mom raising our kids. Anyone have any ideas how she could make some money working from home, while still being able to devote the necessary time to raise our kids. Having one income coming in would
obviously help immensely...especially with the two girls on their way. All helpful ideas
would be appreciated!

I don't know your complete situation but has your wife graduated from college or attended one at any point?

Maybe talk to @tandem7 ... I know she has an online business.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at your nick, I couldn't help but wonder if you are from Srbija?

Reactions: 1 user
Being pregnant is no easy ordeal, double so with twins. And same goes for the first year or 2 after birth. So her working will put much strain on her and may cause complications during pregnancy, and as the saying goes when the wife is overly stressed so will be the family.

However lets assume she finds a part-time (lets say ~15hrs/wk) stay-home job (as a telemarketer or something) and stress is a non-issue. That job will require much attention from her that will be taken away from the babies. (Multi-tasking is not a viable option here, even if the work is easy, contrary to popular belief you cannot continuously bounce your attention back and forth and not have your performance suffer in its quality.) Unless youre fine with neglecting your babies, you will require a babysitter to watch them while wifey works and youre at school/studying for most of the day. Unless you find a cheap one, a notable chunk of the money wifey rakes in will go to the sitter's pocket and also dont forget sitter's charge extra for each baby they watch and youll have 2. At the end of the day her net income will be unsatisfactory to the both of you.

I think it would work out better for your family if you and your wife were able to get monetary help from each of your own parents. If thats not an option, maybe take out a bigger loan. If neither of those 2 are an option, then I have to ask the very obvious question and I dont mean any offense by this but: why did you decide to have kids if you couldnt afford it?

Personally I see myself being in a very similar situation as you but when I am halfway through D school instead: with a pregnant (stay-at-home) wife and living far from parents, like you. But I know my parents will financially support us and if thats not enough future-wifey's parents would help as well if theyre able. If no other solution springs to my head then my last resort would be taking out a larger loan.

Anyways, BIG congratulations on the twins and on wisely setting up your marriage as a single-income family, you and your wife will be spared all the silly drama and marital instability a 2-income household would normally experience.

Anyways, BIG congratulations on the twins and on wisely setting up your marriage as a single-income family, you and your wife will be spared all the silly drama and marital instability a 2-income household would normally experience.

Except for 4 years, it'll be a no income family.

Does your wife have any university education? If/what she studied will probably help determine what kinds of jobs are available to her. Maybe if she can have a full-time job that pays well enough, it would be financially worth it to put the children in daycare. Also, if she's working full-time, hopefully she'll be able to have some sort of paid maternity leave as well.

The bet thing i can tell you is that if your wife has a college degree, then she can look for a full time job and put your kids in daycare. Daycare is expensive, however because you will be a single income family , you could always apply for child care assistance , which usually help you with 80-90% of the cost of childcare. Just look it up. I wouldn't recommend putting kids in child care before one year old though.

I have a two year old son and tag is what I am planning to do when I get in. Good luck

Except for 4 years, it'll be a no income family.

Does your wife have any university education? If/what she studied will probably help determine what kinds of jobs are available to her. Maybe if she can have a full-time job that pays well enough, it would be financially worth it to put the children in daycare. Also, if she's working full-time, hopefully she'll be able to have some sort of paid maternity leave as well.
Yes, she has a psychology degree, and has been working in HR for the past 3 years. I don't think daycare is an option for the first year or two, so if she could find something that she can do from home that would help a lot.

Born and raised.
:whistle:" ...on the playground was where I spent most of my days."

Administrative assistant. School bus driver. Substitute teacher is a flexible part time job...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users