1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Dental School Rankings

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by doctress, Mar 9, 2002.

1. doctress

doctress Junior Member

Hi guys!

I've been trying to find rankings for dental schools, but it seems that there is no such ranking available. Do you know any way to rank Dental schools??? Which schools are considered 1st or 2nd tier????

Doctress

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There have been a lot of discussions on this topic. And everyone has his or her own #1. Some people are more into research; others are looking for lots of patient contact. Some look to specialize and want a reputable school, while others look to start practicing right out of school.

Here is a link for some old published rankings, but once again these have been heavily argued about in past posts:
    <a href="http://members.tripod.com/~softballteam/best.html" target="_blank">http://members.tripod.com/~softballteam/best.html</a>

I want to know what the best clinical schools are. I am not very interested in research, nor specializing. What schools give the most hands on learning, and put the most emphasis on the clinical aspect?

4. al

al Member

There are no published dental school rankings like there are for med/law, etc. There used to be (Gourman Report, 1993 US News), but the criteria used in the rankings were flawed and were not a good basis to rank one school better than the other. thus all the dental schools collectively withdrew from participating from any rankings system.

There are rankings on the schools' results on national boards part 1,2, etc, but only dental school administrators get access to this. Here's a list of the top 4 NB part 1 for spring 2001 that I've come up with, judging from what administrators said during my interviews, internet articles, etc.:
    1. harvard (Columbia interviewer told me)
    2. UCONN (search on google)
    3. Columbia (told us at interview)
    4. UCLA (told us at interview)

I'm sure UPENN, UCSF, UWash are up there too

For NB 2, all I know is that UCONN was #1, and Oregon was really high up there.

In research and NIH funding 2000:
    1. UCSF
    2. Harvard
    3. UNC

In terms of what I hear on SDN posts, I hear good things about UWash, UCONN, Iowa, the UC's, the ivy's, texas schools, etc.

I think its hard to rank schools, place into tiers, etc, because a lot of schools gear their programs towards different goals: Some schools are awesome at producing specialty dents (Harvard, Columbia), others awesome at clinic/general dents (UOP, UCONN), others are research oriented (UCSF, Harvard). The best school is what fits your own interest. Ultimately its not the school, its 'you' that decides where you want to be in dentistry.

To anybody reading this: Any disagreements, aggreements, additions, deletions to these lists, I'm all ears. Nothing I mentioned is etched in stone, of course.

5. baracuda

baracuda Member

Tufts was fifth on the NDB 1 last year and has been in the top ten for the past five years. They are also known as one of the best clinical schools in the country.

6. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member

Let's put this issue in perspective. I bet 90% or more of all "bragging rights" conversations amongst practicing dentists is centered around the athletic accomplishments of their respective alma maters.

7. Dr. Pedo

Dr. Pedo Senior Member

Groundhog,

Very true!

RRB