dental school rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtdent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find dent school rankings? I've searched the net for awhile, and come up with NOTHING. Everyone's always referring to the "top" schools, but where are they finding this data......

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really sure, but I don't think dental schools are ranked (like in us news or anything)...but I THINK that the gorman report puts out a list...not really official or anything...maybe somebody else can answer this?

There is no official ranking as far as the schools are concerned. Some schools are stronger in clinical instructions, some are stronger in didactic, and some still are strong in research. It depends what your cup of tea is.

Though, some people use the part 1 board results as a rank. But that only reflects didactics and not clinic.

So, it really just comes down to what you're looking for in a school: Didactics, clinic, or research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was even looking for something informal...I know that for example, US News doesn't rank anymore because of all the crap they got from dental schools saying the rankings weren't fair or well-researched. It's too bad, everything else is ranked in the mag

...everything else being medical, PT, law schools, etc.

There is a Gourman Report book with dental school rankings as well as other programs. I think its put out by Princeton Review but the book is a few years dated and I think it's a little biased. It doesn't even go into detail on how the schools are graded. I wouldn't put too much weight on them. One person's trash is another person's treasure.

ok then.....what are the "BEST" schools generally known to be..........in our humble opinions. of course, we're all biased...

Probably the only way schools can be assigned a rank is through their performance on the standardized National Board Exam part I and II. The first part is a test of the medical and didactic side, and part II tests clinical ability. The overall results are not published, though each school knows its individual results. Based upon this, I can say for sure that UConn, UCLA, Harvard, Columbia, UNC, and a few others consistently rank in the top 10 (Im sure Im leaving a few out, so dont flame me). I know about UConn specifically; they ranked #2(second only to Harvard) on Part I and ranked #1 in the country on Part II. I guess that's why Im going there. You can call schools or ask people on here who know their school's board scores to get a better idea of the type of school (ie whether they concentrate on didactic, clinical, or a balance of both) and how well they prepare students relative to other schools.

My Top 10 (no particular order):

Harvard
Columbia
Penn
Michigan
Minnesota
Iowa
UCLA
UCSF
USC
Washington

**NOTE: Michigan was the only school to be ranked in BOTH (Gourman, USNews) Top 5 rankings in 1995, the last year they ranked.

Husky Squared - your choice. How can you go wrong with either? Great schools, plus great football in the northwest and great basketball in the northeast. And while we're at it, give me cool and wet over hot and humid any time!
GO DAWGS

This is ridiculous, but while we're at it let's have some fun...my Top 10 (based on interviews, research $, texts published by faculty members, boards scores, and my own biases!) in no particular order:

Washington
Michigan
UNC
UCSF
UCLA
Harvard
Penn
Columbia
Tufts
UConn

5 Honorable mentions: UT-San Ant., Indiana, OSU, Minn., SUNY-Stony Brook

:p :D

Loved the post waiting! :)

AS for my top ten: absolutely random order!

Uconn
Harvard
Penn
Columbia
Michigan
UNC
Uwashington
UT san antonio
UCSF
UCLA

I don't know would it be better if they were simply ranked like all other schools it might take away from all the stress of not "knowing excatly" where the schools lie wiht respect to one another.....