dental school reapplicant advice =(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KristenD77

Predent
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I already got three rejections and no interviews and I know that I did really bad on my DATs I was hoping for some advice from accepted students. I received my BS degree in Biology.
My Cumulative GPA is around a 3.47
my BPC is a 3.569 and
my BPCM is a 3.44.

I been on the Dean's list three times.

Dental Experience=

-I worked as a dental assistant for two years at a general dentist office from 2011-2013,
-I recently volunteered in Nicaragua for a dental/medical/ public health brigade,
- at home I shadowed an oral maxillofacial surgeon inside the operating room and in procedure rooms.

Volunteer experience=
~50 hours in one ER
~60 hours in one ER
~16 hours for a bone marrow donation drive and education
the non dental related stuff at the brigade such as building septic tanks

Research=
research with bats
research on diabetees

Work=
-I work in nursing unit in a well known hospital as a tech where I draw blood, take EKGS and vital signs and also monitor patient's inputs and outputs. I also clean the patients. A lot of these patients are maxillofacial patients.
-customer service at a retail store
-receptionist at a heating business

I also just went back to school this semester to take biochem and only received a B even though it was my only class because I was working a lot, shadowing and studying for the DAT that I bombed. I done a semester in sign language interpreting school and plan to go back in the summer, for now I want to just study my ass off for the DAT (besides working also). I was wondering if anyone has any other advice for me besides improving my DAT scores. Should I gain more dental experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any possibility of a DAT retake? That would help tremendously, I believe. I would also reach out to some of the schools where you received rejections and inquire what specifically can be done to have a better shot during the next application cycle. Best of luck, Kristen!

Reactions: 1 users
What were your DAT scores?