1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dental school selection

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by blaitini2002, Nov 29, 2002.

1. blaitini2002

blaitini2002 Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a question, isn't it true that once you decide to go to a dental school and send back the confirmation, you can't change it? What I meant is that if you get the acceptance letter from one school and still waiting for the acceptance letter from another school, what should you do? I heard that you only get a certain amount of time to decide whether to go to that school or not right? so once you take the offer from one school, even you get the acceptance letter from the other school, you can't change u'r mind and take the offer from the other school right? So what would you guys do?:confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Yes, you can change your decision, but don't take this lightly...you will lose your deposit for the school you accepted. For example, lets say you get an acceptance from school XX and you have 45 days to confirm you want to go there by sending them a $1000 deposit. You send in your money and in a month you get an acceptance from your top choice school. You will send a deposit to your top school and call up the other school and tell them you want to withdraw your seat. You will lose that $1000.

DesiDentist

4. blaitini2002

blaitini2002 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanx for u'r reply =)

so the worst thing that's gonna happen is that i'll lose the deposit? nothing else will happen? it won't affect my acceptance in my top choice school right? just to make sure =)

5. DesiDentist

Dentist
    Yah, I guess losing the deposit money is the worst thing that can happen, but for me I'm dreading hurting the admission directors feelings. However, if there is one place to be selfish, its right here.

Good luck,

DesiDentist

PS: What schools are you thinking about? If you are going to put a deposit on Boston U, I feel sorry for you its a $3,000 deposit. That school pisses me off.

6. DesiDentist

Dentist
    Also another note.

45 days is the given time if you receive an acceptance between December 1 and December 30th. If you receive an acceptance on Jan 1 or after then you have 30 days to respond. I believe after Feb. 1 you will have 15 days to respond to an offer. After May 1 you have 10 days to respond. Some schools are flexible and may extend your due date by upto two weeks, but not many are that nice. Some schools want the money by the given date, while others are happy with the post mark being that date. Leave no room for error. Find out before hand which schools have which policies. It is to your advantage to use strategy and have a mental plan down on which schools you want to put a deposit down at.

Good luck everyone.

DesiDentist