Dental School Social Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a Pre-Dent, I was just curious what social life in Dental school is like. For example, do you have many social outings, and is there so much work to do first year, that you hardly have time to go out?

As well, did your school have an orientation week before school started first year, and if so what did you do?

As a very social person, I just wanna idea of what Im getting into! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is plenty of social life in which to be involved. If you are a very social person, your delimma as a dental student will be dividing your time between class/clinic, study, rest, domestic upkeep, and that sociial life.

Asides from the never-ending supply of syllabus and textbooks to read through, I think dental school on the whole is pretty similar to undergrad. On one hand, you have the really smart people who dont socialize with anyone in the class..........on the other hand, you have those that just drink and party 24/7. I, for example, fall more on the 24/7 drunken stupor side.....hehe :D

You can make dental school however you wanna make it........if u wanna specialize, then be sure you bust your balls studying......otherwise, passing dental school isnt really difficult, IMHO. Being that my school is in new york city, it's pretty difficult to stay home on the weekends............or some weekdays for that matter......hehe :D

Members don't see this ad :)
how bout orientation weeks? Did your schools have them and what did you do? Because orientation weeks would probably be the place where you meet all your "new" friends!

Originally posted by Doggie
Asides from the never-ending supply of syllabus and textbooks to read through, I think dental school on the whole is pretty similar to undergrad. On one hand, you have the really smart people who dont socialize with anyone in the class..........on the other hand, you have those that just drink and party 24/7. I, for example, fall more on the 24/7 drunken stupor side.....hehe :D

you fall on both sides....

Originally posted by StarGirl
you fall on both sides....

I'd like to say that i am more on the party side cuz most people in my class dont see my study side............haha..... cmon, i just look like a thug to most people anyways......:D

speaking of orientations........my school did a decent job at it, imho. For our orientation, we had various social events.....most of which revolved around going out to bar/clubs. There were some days where we got to sit down and ask questions about the school matters.......and other days where we'd go out and explore the new city/environment. My orientation lasted for about a week....and I really had a great time meeting all the new classmates. Make sure you socialize with almost everyone, cuz it's pretty easy to fall into cliques.

doggie, what school do u goto?