Dental School to Merge into Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doggie

Professional Jackass
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gone to an interview at a certain dental school..... It just so happens that the dean of the school was also the president of the ADA.

On that interview, he mentioned that Dentistry is a rather prominent profession (duh!). However, it has become increasingly similar to the curriculums offered by med schools that there are much thought of combining med and dental schools together....leaving dentistry as a profession. I was rather shocked to hear of this news. It sounded so far-fetched, but the more I thought, the more it made sense. What do you guys feel about this?

Cmon fellaz.....we need to up this forum to the level of activity as the General Forum. Show them that DDS/DMD kicks ass!

Go cal!

Members don't see this ad.

We do kick ass in every way.
A BU (OMS bound senior) student told me that many of his med student friends said that they think that the dental students have it a lot harder because we not only have to learn the science classes like they do but we also have to master the hands-on aspect of dentistry.

Almost all the schools in Canada take the exact same courses with the med students in the 1st 2 years and on top of that, the dents also take on extra courses to learn to apply the patient/disease management skills to dentistry. It wouldn't hurt learning about the entire body as a whole, since health and wellness can't be applied to just one segment of the body. As a future dentist, I would love to be able to learn as much about other areas of the body...I have the rest of my life learning about root canals, restoration, and perio diseases. Dentists are part of the entire health TEAM and the med school curriculum that dents do learn can only benefit them.

Members don't see this ad :)
You poor dental students -- not only are you dumb, you are too stupid to realize that you are dumb.
smile.gif
What a sad sight.

I would not be opposed to having a dental clinic at the medical center. Perhaps you can save me from getting a cavity during my lunch break. I can't promise I will have time for you though, saving lives is rather time consuming. The dental students at the clinic could service the medical students too.

Are you guys serious? You think dental school is more difficult than medical school. We have a MD/DMD here at UC Davis and he tells a different story. He reminisces about the wonderful life he used to have during dental school. He does constantly state that he would've gotten paid more as a general dentist rather than a PCP, however.

[This message has been edited by MEAT (edited March 28, 2001).]

That is pretty harsh don't you think? What is the big deal which curriculum is harder. I remember I used to entertain to this kind of gibberish talk when I was in elementary school. Let me remind you all that we are all adults, and soon to be professionals, lets act like one ok?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by MEAT:
You poor dental students -- not only are you dumb, you are too stupid to realize that you are dumb.
smile.gif
What a sad sight.

I would not be opposed to having a dental clinic at the medical center. Perhaps you can save me from getting a cavity during my lunch break. I can't promise I will have time for you though, saving lives is rather time consuming. The dental students at the clinic could service the medical students too.

Are you guys serious? You think dental school is more difficult than medical school. We have a MD/DMD here at UC Davis and he tells a different story. He reminisces about the wonderful life he used to have during dental school. He does constantly state that he would've gotten paid more as a general dentist rather than a PCP, however.

Lets see, if med school is so much tougher than dental school, how come meds students don't learn enough in med school to be able to go directly into practice without a residency??? Lets see, when dental students graduate, we can go directly into practice, since we received a complete education. I guess the 3rd and 4th years of med school and its 4 hour history taking interviews and MAYBE getting to hold the retractors in the OR, or getting(simply because the 2 residents above you don't want to) to do a rectal exam on an obese 80 year old with chronic diarrhea is alot tougher than doing the actual dental procedures that we'll be doing when done with school. :)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by MEAT:
smile.gif
What a sad sight.

Meat,

With your mentality, HOW in the heck did you get into medical school? Did
you put on some b.s. lying show to the medical school admissions committee
during your interview so that you could get in???...because I guarantee that with your mentality, there is NO WAY any admissions committee from ANY professional school (MD, DDS, PA, JD, MBA), would let you into their school. All I have to say is that I really feel sorry for you and for your future
patients. Please in the future try not to be so ignorant and immature.

Meat, just for your information, I graduated at the top of my class from one of the best schools in the country and yes, I had the option of going to a top 10 medical school. But, then I really started to think about it, do I
really want to spend the rest of my life with HMO companies breathing down my
back telling me what medical procedures I can and can?t do and how I
should run my practice? And do I really want to go through 4 years of
medical school, 3 years of residency, and many years of specialization only
to come out with HMO companies basically ?owning? me. Not to
mention practically every medical doctor I talked with stated that the life
of the MD is totally overworked, stressed out, and any social and family life
is severely compromised. And being overworked and stressed out every day
only spells out one thing to me which is bound to happen:
M.A.L.P.R.A.C.T.I.C.E. To add to this list of reasons why I didn?t pursue medicine, the few times I have been to the medical doctor?s office, the MD who evaluated me seemed to always have a tired and stressed look on his/her face and he/she seemed to always be in a hurry
spending not more than 3-5 minutes with me. And I asked myself, is this
really patient care?? But Meat, I think the key element that made me not
submit an application to medical school was the advice I received from
medical doctors themselves. Almost unanimously the MDs I spoke with told me
that it wasn?t worth it and that if they could do it over again, they
would choose a different health-related career.

My point being: Meat, if you want to come onto this dental forum and act as
though the MD is superior to the DDS, you definitely have in no way convinced me. In fact, with your unintellectual arguments that are both ignorant and pathetic, I'm sure the only thing you have done for yourself is convince whoever visits this dental forum that yes, sometimes even medical school admission committees do make mistakes and let complete idiots like you into their program.

Meat, my personal feelings are that the MD is in no way superior to the DDS and the DDS is in no way superior to the MD. Furthermore, the MD is in no way superior to the RN or PA, nor is the DDS superior to the dental assistant. Each of these people serve a vital and very important role in the health field. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you will enjoy a much more fulfilling and satisfying life.

[This message has been edited by Vroom (edited April 06, 2001).]

Dental school and Med school may seem similar in many regards, but aside from some of the basic classes, they are actually very different experiences.

As dental students, our time load is DEFINITELY ten times harder than the medical students. While at the same time, when I was taking biochem, I was just trying to get an A out of it, and didn't care about the actual material. My medschool friends, however, actually had to learn pathways and associated pathology. Granted, they had an extra 20 hours a week to do it since they had half the courseload!

Smart isn't even the issue... It's mindset... Dental students definitely do not take the academics AS seriously as the med students because we don't have to! We really get most of our experience in clinical, and pre-clinical experiences (and associated coursework). The Oral Path classes are important, but this is not the MAIN focus of the curriculum.

I've ran into some pretty dumb doctors, lawyers, and dentists... you'll find alot of idiots out there with all sorts of degrees!