Dental School with a 15 PAT?!?! (Possible!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

N021205

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
He guys just wanted to give some hope to all you PAT Flunkies =), kidding of course! Dental school is totally in reach. Please don't let all the SDN retakes bring you down and make you waste money. I've been there and its a waste of energy. Save it for application season, you'll need it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed ! 17PAT here and got into plenty of "prestigious" schools. Don't be too concerned with PAT if the rest of your application is sound.

Reactions: 1 users
Dang 15 PAT? You may have gotten into dental school, but you are definitely not graduating… If you can't count cubes or fold oragami in your head in DS, you are screwed.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea...it's possible. Scores are not everything. A classmate of mine had a 15 on PAT and a 16 on QR and he got accepted at Harvard Dental. He wasn't a minority or older applicant or military or anything like that. Regular white kid. So, scores aren't everything. However, we can't say that everybody will get into dental school with a 15 PAT...So, when people give advice to retake, it's just based on probability. You don't have to retake if you feel other parts of your application will work in your favor.

Reactions: 2 users
Dang 15 PAT? You may have gotten into dental school, but you are definitely not graduating… If you can't count cubes or fold oragami in your head in DS, you are screwed.
Please son, I have made hand skills.

Yea...it's possible. Scores are not everything. A classmate of mine had a 15 on PAT and a 16 on QR and he got accepted at Harvard Dental. He wasn't a minority or older applicant or military or anything like that. Regular white kid. So, scores aren't everything. However, we can't say that everybody will get into dental school with a 15 PAT...So, when people give advice to retake, it's just based on probability. You don't have to retake if you feel other parts of your application will work in your favor.

Totally agree. PAT was my only "weak" area. I just didn't put enough effort into that section like I should have.

Reactions: 1 user
i got a 13 and 3 interviews so far.
planning to definitely retake

its actually not hard at all and can totally be learned, as I am averaging 20's with the weakest section being angle ranking(missing nearly 2/3 Q's) with almost perfect TFE/cube/hole.

I did not know what PAT was when I took it on the day of my DAT, which was stupid.

i got a 13 and 3 interviews so far.
planning to definitely retake

its actually not hard at all and can totally be learned, as I am averaging 20's with the weakest section being angle ranking(missing nearly 2/3 Q's) with almost perfect TFE/cube/hole.

I did not know what PAT was when I took it on the day of my DAT, which was stupid.
Yea I totally agree that it can be learned. I actually jut didn't focus too much on it during my prep because I felt that the sciences were far more important. Any persons with decent hand skills should be able to form dental procedures through practice. But You definitely can get more interviews with a good PAT, but I got in my school of chose so I didn't need 20 interviews. None of my interviews even asked about my pat score.

Is it possible to get into dental school with even a 10 in PAT? Sure. Is it probable? Most likely it isn't. People who go to this forum are trying to maximize their chances at getting into dental school. Giving people the idea that it is okay to score well below the average and still be a good candidate is a big disservice to them.

I belong! 15 PAT but All 20+ in other sections. Applied to only one school this cycle and was invited for interview.

Yeah if you have great EC, PS and LORs with 3.7+ gpa and 20+ on every other section. But I would retake if this isn't the case.

I may be mistaken but I think some schools don't weigh the PAT score as heavily as others do. If I got that low on that section, no matter what school I was applying to, I would just retake it. That's really low and not competitive. For this field in particular, you need perceptual ability because images often appear on the right but there are of the left side of the mouth. you have to be able to flip and reverse teeth in your head.

Its really not hard to learn though. I got a 21 from a 13 after a few practice tests the 2nd time I took the dat

Its really not hard to learn though. I got a 21 from a 13 after a few practice tests the 2nd time I took the dat
If only we could all improve at your speed

Reactions: 2 users
If only we could all improve at your speed

Ok wasn't trying to sound cocky or whatever I'm just saying its doable! Can definitely be learned, take a cam class even!

My 15 PAT was the only weak part of my application too, and I got a December 1st acceptance to San Antonio, so it is possible! Oh that and my 15 QR. Did not study for those sections at all. It's possible but it depends on the rest of your app and interview.

Reactions: 1 users

my friend who is ranked #1 in class had 18 pat... His labs are all A's and B+..