Dental Schools I'm Applying to/ Should I take Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvotroy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First and foremost how do you look as an applicant on paper? GPA? Extra curriculars? Etc.

You didn't mention your DAT score but with that science GPA I'd eliminate Baylor, Houston, and UNC from your list - you won't be competitive there.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to apply at the end of junior year. While it's possible to apply and get in without bachelor's at the time of matriculation, you won't get in early with your stat.

The end of my junior year is what I was planning for, but I just want to prepare myself from now. Hopefully I'll be able to boost my science GPA this year to at least a 3.4. Also, I have seen some schools saying that they prefer applicants with a bachelor's. Is it ideal to apply after I get my bachelor's?

The end of my junior year is what I was planning for, but I just want to prepare myself from now. Hopefully I'll be able to boost my science GPA this year to at least a 3.4. Also, I have seen some schools saying that they prefer applicants with a bachelor's. Is it ideal to apply after I get my bachelor's?

They mean applicants who have a bachelor's degree by the time they matriculate, not by the time they apply.

If you're not applying until next year I wouldn't bother making this thread or coming up with a school list until your GPA is closer to final and you've actually taken the DAT.

No, only thing they care about is you having it at the time of your matriculation. It's too early to pick schools when your academics are so incomplete. If you want to prepare yourself, start studying for the DAT now so you can take it during your junior year and have it ready to go when you apply in 6/2/16.