Dental Schools & Instruments: Rented vs Bought?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gimmecaffeine

twiddlin' my thumbs...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't found a post on this (if there is one, please let me know!:oops:) but does anyone know which dental schools have students rent their instruments and which schools have students buy their own instruments?

And which do current dental students prefer? How does that factor into your costs as a dental student?

(the parentals were wondering... which got me wondering...an international dentist they know told them how she came out of dental school with a debt of 700K, which included buying own dental instruments :eek:)

Members don't see this ad.

I know you rent your tools at Colorado

i asked the question during my texas school interviews. some of the schools made you purchase before but they switched to renting because it is better for the students. if something breaks or gets worn down and you are renting then you can easily get a replacement instrument. if you purchase them, then you are responsible for buying another one when it breaks which can easily get expensive or if something else occurs.

so bottom line according to students i have talked to is renting is better!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I went to D school we had to buy our instruments. I still have about $10,000 in brand new enamel hatchets lying in storage somewhere. Rent if you can decide on what works best for you and then buy it once you have your own place.

So far, good info guys, thanks and :thumbup::thumbup: on the responses.

If there are any other schools you guys know about regarding instruments, let me know! I obviously should've asked this question during interviews, but either did and forgot, or am getting my information mixed up between schools. :p

All 3 Texas schools: rent.

Pittsburgh: Buy a few things for pre-clinic, rent for clinic.

That is current as of this year.

In recent years, there appears to have been a shift towards ds requiring leasing of instruments rather than purchasing since the former provides a better control insuring the proper handling (disinfection, sterilization) of the instruments.