Dental Schools that weigh interviews less

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ac1123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am just wondering (by word of mouth or reputation) if there are any dental schools that weigh more heavily than average on academic performance over interview performance. I have a 4.0 GPA and 26 AA, so my numbers are good. I would say that I am normally personable, but I can get pretty bad anxiety in situations like these where I just freeze up and basically forget how to speak english. I already have a batch of schools that I am applying to, but on the off chance I screw up my interviews for those I am looking for 1 or 2 other schools that don't weigh so heavily on the interview to look into applying to as well. All help is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In all honesty, the best advice would be to just practice your interview skills. You still have plenty of time to have mock interviews with mentors, etc.

Maybe part of the reason you freeze up is because you tell yourself you’re going to freeze up and then you do. The only way to get better at interviewing is to practice. It doesn’t even have to be a mock interview. Start conversations in person with strangers (barista, waiter/tress etc) and practice your conversation skills.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will find a lot of dental schools weigh the interview pretty heavily. That is why a number of schools do closed application interviews (interviewers don't see your app). You are going into a profession where you will be talking to patients all day and so they want to see you interact socially with them.

So I would definitely work on your interview skills. Try to do some mock interviews and if your town has any job fairs go try and do small interviews there even if you don't plan to take a job.

Hey I’m with you there man. 25 AA/3.98 GPA but can occasionally get some social anxiety when I know it’s a big event.

Typically practicing a lot helps me a ton; if I have a bit of a script for an expected answer I can be very personable. Otherwise, a firm handshake, eye contact, and good posture go a long way.

Reactions: 1 user
I can relate to losing the ability to speak English when in tight situation lol.
I would say, just go to the interview like you own it, what is the worse case scenario?
A worst case scenario is you die, every other option are nothing really. Don't sweat it, you will do fine.

Last edited:
IMHO, interviews greatly outweighs academic performance. To me performance gets you the interview, but that’s it. Also, at this level, everyone who interviews have similar to same gpa, dat score, shadowing hours, etc.. but the interview is what separates you from the crowd. Practice, practice, practice. Take control of the interview and direct it to where you want to go. For example, don’t open a can of worms, throw teasers in there to grab the interest of those interviewing so they do follow up questions on what you want to take about. Before you know it, the interview is done.

Agree with above students.
To answer your question, you can apply to Creighton which does not require an interview at all (for some applicants, mostly if you went to their undergrad, which I think you haven't; however, very few OOS did get in without interview). This based on SDN literature!

So usually the interview weighs quite a bit. By the time you get the interview, it means that on paper, you have what it takes to be a dentist. But so does everyone else around you interviewing. So your interview is to show that you will be a good dentist. Ive been told that everyone on the interview stage is more or less at the same level and chance of entry. Of course your GPA and stuff still count towards your overall ranking, but a good interview can make up for a lot and a bad interview can be a red flag that they'll want to avoid.

Reactions: 1 user