Dental schools that will consider lower NBDE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zirconia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Okay Guys........
With the current ADA rules it is not possible to retake the NBDE once passed over 74, and many schools has to change their criteria for admission as scores over 90 does not mean better dentists. :D:D

let us share experience and information about what schools are accepting candidates with lower NBDE1 scores.....:thumbup:

I have NBDE I (taken on Jan 2010) -78
GPA - 2.4
MPH GPA- 3.6
6 yrs exp. in home country
3 yrs exp. observing dentists in US

What are my chances getting into any dental schools? Thanks

I have NBDE I (taken on Jan 2010) -78
GPA - 2.4
MPH GPA- 3.6
6 yrs exp. in home country
3 yrs exp. observing dentists in US

What are my chances getting into any dental schools? Thanks

I say your chances are awesome. That is providing you are really willing to go the extra mile. You may need to get some assisting experience, possibly a MPH, research experience, NBDE pt2, etc. Take this advice from someone in your shoes as well... Oh, make sure you apply to as many schools as possible too. PM me if I can offer you any other advice. Good luck and keep your chin up!

Members don't see this ad :)
I say your chances are awesome. That is providing you are really willing to go the extra mile. You may need to get some assisting experience, possibly a MPH, research experience, NBDE pt2, etc. Take this advice from someone in your shoes as well... Oh, make sure you apply to as many schools as possible too. PM me if I can offer you any other advice. Good luck and keep your chin up!

I have completed MPH in Fall 2010, since then I am working as a part-time faculty in a community college teaching dental hygiene and nursing students. I have done research related to community health in US and even presented in American Public Health Association annual conference in 2009. I am retaking TOEFL hope to score more than 110 this time. I have a low score in part I and there is noway I can retake this exam. So, I am thinking not to take any chances with part II; hope to take it during final year of dental school. I was interviewed at Colorado this year but didn't get in. I am applying to as many schools as possible. I will highly appreciate your kind suggestions and advice. Thanks

Like I said earlier, your chances are awesome. In fact, you have the full complement of credentials which will serve you well in the admissions process. I would strongly suggest that you take pt.2 so that schools like Colorado will see you in a favorable manner as a reapplicant.

I think I heard of someone with a 79 getting into Temple... but cant be sure.

I have 78 in part 1
GPA is 3.7
Toefl is 114.
I hope I have decent chances?
But what schools are the best bet as I also have to think about finances to be quite frank.It isnt cheap....the application fees etc.

anything below 85 is non-decnt chance.

but u never know.

therefore, it makes sense to apply to multiple schools with low scores.

Is it true that even after no retakes below 85 (even 80-85 range) is not decent? Thats not good at all esp when you are saying it BombayBDS (meaning it must be very true :(((

anything below 85 is non-decnt chance.

but u never know.

therefore, it makes sense to apply to multiple schools with low scores.

Is it true that even after no retakes below 85 (even 80-85 range) is not decent? Thats not good at all esp when you are saying it BombayBDS (meaning it must be very true :(((

Okay, first of all, no one can tell you that except the admission committee of each school. No offense BombayBDS, but I know lots of people (not just one or two) who got into international dental programs with not just 85 but 83 and 82. I even know one person who got in with 80. Never loss hope my friend! Apply to as many schools as you can.

Oh another thing. Last years application cycle, I heard personal stories from trusted people who applied with NBDE scores of 91 and 92 and did not get a single interview call!! Others with scores between 82-85 got more than 3 interview calls and at least one acceptance.

SO....it is not solely your NBDE 1 score that gets you in a program. It is your whole application. You might have excellent recommendation letters or a perfect personal statement that really stands out and happens to make an mark on a member of the admissions committee.

My advice is to apply to as many schools as possible to increase your chances and best of luck!!

I thought I'd add another person's thoughts to the flow of this conversation... Read below please:

Nothing is stopping you from applying to colleges. But to be frank, in order to have a good chance at getting in .. you need :

1) take part 2 (aim for 80+ )
2) research/extracurriculars
3) excellent letters of recommendation
4) a very good personal statement. this is your chance to jump out and get noticed. explain your 76. do whatever it takes to show YOU would be the best fit for an advanced program slot.
5) work experience in a US clinic. (volunteer, dental assistant etc.)

so you can apply now and most likely not get in, or you can start on part 2 get some experience in a US clinic, and rock your essay so you'll have a much better shot. either way its a difficult road, but people have done it before you and you can do it too. its all about how much you want it, and how hard you're willing to work for it. good luck to you...

guys,
non-decent does not mean no chance.

Of course no one can predict the future.

So, the statement was meant to motivate people to build their CV / work harder and not be disappointed if things dont work... it wasnt meant to discourage people.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i have a friend who just got in University of Colorado Denver's advanced program with part 1 score of 77, TOEFL 94. But she have complete a master degree on some bio research program.

hello everyone... I got my NBDE part 1 Scores today... just 78:(....
TOEFL - 105
2 Yrs of experience in home country
1 month observership in a dental coll in US

Please tell me wat to do...

hello everyone... I got my NBDE part 1 Scores today... just 78:(....
TOEFL - 105
2 Yrs of experience in home country
1 month observership in a dental coll in US

Please tell me wat to do...

Firat of all, be kind to yourself -- pat yourself on the back. You just passed a test on which 70% of FTD's fail on their first attempt i read this info somewhere on the Adea site). Then go through the beginning of this thread and see all of the ways in which you can build up your credentials still. Sure, the part 1 is probably the biggest factor in the admissions equation but it's not the only one. All the best... :thumbup:

I thought I'd add another person's thoughts to the flow of this conversation... Read below please:

Nothing is stopping you from applying to colleges. But to be frank, in order to have a good chance at getting in .. you need :

1) take part 2 (aim for 80+ )
2) research/extracurriculars
3) excellent letters of recommendation
4) a very good personal statement. this is your chance to jump out and get noticed. explain your 76. do whatever it takes to show YOU would be the best fit for an advanced program slot.
5) work experience in a US clinic. (volunteer, dental assistant etc.)

so you can apply now and most likely not get in, or you can start on part 2 get some experience in a US clinic, and rock your essay so you'll have a much better shot. either way its a difficult road, but people have done it before you and you can do it too. its all about how much you want it, and how hard you're willing to work for it. good luck to you...

I think its very good idea if we can explain in our SOP why we got less in part 1... But am still thinking lol how to defend on it... I mean no one here must have given it lightly studying casually just to pass... Nor everyone would have some serious health problems during that period which screwed part 1 score... Last all we can say is bad luck is the only reason for all of us who scored less ... But again... It's not something we write in our SOP...

You a may find it silly or dumb but I have been thinking same since couple of days.. if anyone has some idea please share...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Firat of all, be kind to yourself -- pat yourself on the back. You just passed a test on which 70% of FTD's fail on their first attempt i read this info somewhere on the Adea site). Then go through the beginning of this thread and see all of the ways in which you can build up your credentials still. Sure, the part 1 is probably the biggest factor in the admissions equation but it's not the only one. All the best... :thumbup:
Thanku so much ocs1986 for the kind words... i will definately give the best in me....

It's not hard to pass Part 1 are you sure they weren't talking about the failing rate for Part 2?

Yes, the article was on the Adea website and they were definately discussing the results of part 1.

I will say this....I have 78 in part 1 in the new format.GPA of 3.6 and TOEFL of 114.
I got interviewed at Colorado.....and got wait-listed....so I think the colleges are now looking at the overall picture and not JUST the scores.I feel the ones with other credentials like any papers presented...volunteer work and the like stand a much better chance and not just having a very high NBDE score and nothing else to write home about.

I will say this....I have 78 in part 1 in the new format.GPA of 3.6 and TOEFL of 114.
I got interviewed at Colorado.....and got wait-listed....so I think the colleges are now looking at the overall picture and not JUST the scores.I feel the ones with other credentials like any papers presented...volunteer work and the like stand a much better chance and not just having a very high NBDE score and nothing else to write home about.

yes, this is a trend.

But also remember, that just as a person with 78 sore is working on his CV, a person with 87 score is also working on his CV...

If anyone has a low score and wants to get in, then the hard work has to be in place.

Someone mentioned SOP>> writing about your extra-curriculars is an excellet way of defending your score in an SOP.
if you have so many things going on, its understood that you may not have had the time to study for your part 1.

Doing preceptorship programs is also a good idea.

Hi my
NBDE score is 82,
ECE -comp score- 3.36 and best score -3.92 (i got 2 scores in my ECE report)
TOEFL yet to take
iam shadowing a dentist for last few days
experience of 4yrs of dental practice in India..
iam green card holder

I have few questions:
--------------------
1) how many hours /months should i work as an observer .
2) with 2 scores in my ECE report ,will the dental school take in to consideration, my Best score as well,which is 3.92..
3)Externship in a dental school for 3months -will that really help in building up a better CV.. do u suggest me to join an externship program now..
4)any other suggestions to improvise my chances of getting into a dental school..
5)can i work as a dental assistant in a dental clinic in USA for few months with just my Foreign dental degree..are we allowed to ,with out a dental licence.. Plzz help..Thank you..

I have few questions:
--------------------

there isno rule on this, the more the better. the more diverse your experience the better. so shadowing 2-3 diff practices also makes sense.
some of these dentists may give you LORs which would really help.
2) with 2 scores in my ECE report ,will the dental school take in to consideration, my Best score as well,which is 3.92..

I am not sure on this one but will check with others and post it o SDN
3)Externship in a dental school for 3months -will that really help in building up a better CV.. do u suggest me to join an externship program now..

If you are planning to apply this year, then maybe its late to apply to the preceptorship programs, but in case u r applying for next year, then they r a good option. try and get into a university where u want to do DDS. in addition to preceptoship programs, u can approach individual universities for research assistantships, volunteering etc..

4)any other suggestions to improvise my chances of getting into a dental school..

ace your TOEfL, keep working hard. attend seminars, CE courses.

5)can i work as a dental assistant in a dental clinic in USA for few months with just my Foreign dental degree..are we allowed to ,with out a dental licence.. Plzz help..Thank you..
if you have a work-visa, u can work as an DA depending on your state law. In CA, u need to be a registered DA in-order to work.

Thank you so much Bombay BDS, its of gr8 help.. I have one more question for you.. i am at a place where i dont have any dental school.. so inorder to do a research assistantship in dentistry ,i have to move to another place....but we do have RA's in medical field.. one of my family frnd is a senior physician.. will that really help me if i work in oncology/volunteer in a medical hospital.... not related to dentistry for few months..

Hi my
NBDE score is 82,
ECE -comp score- 3.36 and best score -3.92 (i got 2 scores in my ECE report)
TOEFL yet to take
iam shadowing a dentist for last few days
experience of 4yrs of dental practice in India..
iam green card holder

I have few questions:
--------------------

To my knowledge ECE sends 2 scores only when you had a supplementary in your dental school transcripts (ie retook an exam for a subject) or reapplied to ECE to re-evaluate your GPA score. Dental school will take into consideration your best score ie 3.92 but be prepared to answer in an interview about the supplementary if you had one or why did you reapply. Hope this helps.

To my knowledge ECE sends 2 scores only when you had a supplementary in your dental school transcripts (ie retook an exam for a subject) or reapplied to ECE to re-evaluate your GPA score. Dental school will take into consideration your best score ie 3.92 but be prepared to answer in an interview about the supplementary if you had one or why did you reapply. Hope this helps.
comprehensive GPA is considered by schools not the best....

thankyou for sharing that information. Can u please share your complete profile..... i mean some research or any other experience....

Hey all

I just gt my part 1 results today. Got 84 :(. With this score should I bother applying? My stats are 84/114/3.4. MPH with a GPA of 3.92 and 3 months observership under a US dental professor. Have no dental experience in my home country.

Your inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey all

I just gt my part 1 results today. Got 84 :(. With this score should I bother applying? My stats are 84/114/3.4. MPH with a GPA of 3.92 and 3 months observership under a US dental professor. Have no dental experience in my home country.

Your inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks

Apply.

these days good score doesnt make a huge difference...i got 90 in part one...but still not getting interview calls...i dont know on what basis they send interview calls..i had very hopes to get interview call from colorado ,boston..but hard luck..so guys cheer up...just do ur best and keep trying :thumbup:

Last edited: