Dental Schools with best/worst admissions staff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Upenn08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Best: Pittsburgh, Penn
Worst: USC, Columbia, BU

Members don't see this ad.

IMO
Best:Kentucky, Louisville (No, I'm not from the state of KY)
Worst:Loma Linda, Creighton, Case

IMO
Best: Louisville, Oklahoma
Worst: USC, Case

Members don't see this ad :)
Tried to get a hold of them through email and phone a handful of times but no one ever got back to me. First contact I received was a rejection this week. Just left a bad impression for me. I'm sure not everyone had the same experience though.

Best: Pitt, Howard, Columbia - Great people, very friendly and prompt.
Worst or So-so:
NYU: Misspelled my name when they were looking for my DAT Scores, resulting in my Application sitting on a shelf for almost 3 months.

Case: Marked my file for needing to retake DAT when I had AA22, RC30, and nothing below 18. After it sitting there for a few weeks, they sent me a letter about it, I called them, and they said that there must have been a mixup and my file should have been put on hold for updated grades, but since I sent the grades in and it was still marked for DAT....etc etc etc.... a big headache. A week after I cleared it all up I got the rejection.

UNLV: Sent me an email with something along the lines of "Thank you for coming to the interview, but we regret... yada yada yada." Though I didn't interview there, and so I was a tad confused, I called them to ask about it and they were really short about how they use filler emails for rejection and that there must have been a mix up when she copied and pasted it, and by the way, you're still rejected.

USC: Sent me a huge packet in the mail about how my application had "Striking Deficiencies" and that I should retake the DAT (see above) and apply for their postbac program. After having my self esteem throughly trounced, I called them and they said it must have been a mix up.

SIGH, sorry for the rant, I've just had a very frustrating application cycle. But I got accepted to Howard and am waiting on hearing back from my interviews at Pitt and Columbia, so I'm still a happy camper :D!

Last edited:
Best: Pittsburgh, Penn
Worst: USC, Columbia, BU

Dr. Mcmanus from Columbia is a great guy. I had the same experience with them as with Penn. Not sure your reasoning.

Best: Louisville
Worst: UNC

best: UK, UNC, MWU, UB :thumbup::thumbup:
worst: NOVA, CASE, USC, Temple :thumbdown:thumbdown

I've interviewed at 12 different schools:

Tufts
Penn
Creighton
Nova
Florida
OHSU
NYU
UMKC
Case
UCSF
Pacific
Colorado

Worst: NYU, Creighton... NYU, the security guard basically made me wait outside, thinking I was some sort of bum in a suit. Then, my interviewer is a total jerk to me. But I have to say, the food was good... the only plus. And Creighton, their interview/tour is characterized by the lack of a tour/interview... it didn't feel like anything happened, or that I learned anything new.

Best: Pacific, UMKC... Pacific has some of the WARMEST people you'll ever meet. Great place all around.. I would've gone there if I had wanted to be a GP. UMKC... the staff is so warm and enthusiastic! It's almost uncanny.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best: UB, tOSU, Louisville
Worst: Case, Creighton, WVU

best: temple, baylor, san antonio
worst: meharry (they tell you to leave you to leave your # and we will call you back but they never do)

I was really pleased with Tufts, NYU (they answer the phone STAT- same with Creighton). MWU was extremely welcoming, also.

I dunno... I didn't have problems with any of the schools i interviewed at... tho i do have to agree with cybermech that pacific had the best staff. :) soooooo friendly and helpful.... even when i call to ask stupid questions. haha. :) The hardest school to contact tho was nova... >.< nobody ever picks up or calls you back.... -_-;;;

wrost = Nova
rejected me because of my gpa, but then we found out they actually made a mistake entering my gpa into their system. they refuse to do anything about, they basically told me not to worry about it because i also applied to other schools

Why are people keep putting Case as worst? Anything specific?

Best: San Antonio, Houston, Baylor
Worst: UMKC, Michigan, Oklahoma

UMKC -- this was back in 2006 when I was applying for the entering class of 2007... I received a rejection letter dated 2005... they obviously just use the same form letter every year, but forgot to change the date... I wanted to call and say something along the lines "I think you have me mixed up with someone else, I am applying this year, so do you think you could review this year's application..." I just thought it was really poor taste, the least they could do is send a letter that was dated appropriately.

Michigan -- I also received a rejection from here... I had an email that had a subject heading of something along the lines of "University of Michigan School of Dentistry." I open the email and it says download the attached file. I do, and it was a .pdf rejection letter that said "Dear applicant..." Can they not show some courtesy and pay for the stamp to mail a real letter, and putting my actual name on the letter might have been nice too.

Oklahoma -- so UNORGANIZED! I applied, submitted everything... I call to make sure I have everything, and they said we don't have your DAT score report. I found that odd since the other 11 schools I applied to had my DAT score report. So I call to get another score report sent to Oklahoma... I even had my receipt number and the ADA still made me pay for another report because they couldn't find that order in their system. So they are pretty unorganized too. So, I spend the $15 (at the time) to pay for another score report to be sent to Oklahoma. I call, they say everything is complete, and that they just need my application fee. I mail in the application fee, and 2 days later I have a rejection letter which was actually dated a day before I sent out the application fee they asked for... the best part though was that the joke was on them... I voided payment of the check before they could cash it... so unorganized and unprofessional.

Best: San Antonio, Houston, Baylor
Worst: UMKC, Michigan, Oklahoma

UMKC -- this was back in 2006 when I was applying for the entering class of 2007... I received a rejection letter dated 2005... they obviously just use the same form letter every year, but forgot to change the date... I wanted to call and say something along the lines "I think you have me mixed up with someone else, I am applying this year, so do you think you could review this year's application..." I just thought it was really poor taste, the least they could do is send a letter that was dated appropriately.

Michigan -- I also received a rejection from here... I had an email that had a subject heading of something along the lines of "University of Michigan School of Dentistry." I open the email and it says download the attached file. I do, and it was a .pdf rejection letter that said "Dear applicant..." Can they not show some courtesy and pay for the stamp to mail a real letter, and putting my actual name on the letter might have been nice too.

Oklahoma -- so UNORGANIZED! I applied, submitted everything... I call to make sure I have everything, and they said we don't have your DAT score report. I found that odd since the other 11 schools I applied to had my DAT score report. So I call to get another score report sent to Oklahoma... I even had my receipt number and the ADA still made me pay for another report because they couldn't find that order in their system. So they are pretty unorganized too. So, I spend the $15 (at the time) to pay for another score report to be sent to Oklahoma. I call, they say everything is complete, and that they just need my application fee. I mail in the application fee, and 2 days later I have a rejection letter which was actually dated a day before I sent out the application fee they asked for... the best part though was that the joke was on them... I voided payment of the check before they could cash it... so unorganized and unprofessional.

Same thing happened this year, but right before my Nova interview. They must feel superior to those that they reject? I agree with the stamp thing. I wonder how our application fees are divided and whatnot.

Hahaha! Same thing with me from U of M. I wanted to send them an email back that said: :diebanana:

It wasn't my first choice, but when you hear nothing after sending them updates, etc. it's just such a slap in the face to get that email 8 months after you applied there.

Sorry to hear that but congrats on UDM! I received that email/rejection as well but post-interview. I was really shocked because I thought my interview went really well. After being upset all day I received another email saying jk I wasn't supposed to receive that letter...

I agree that Case's staff is not so great. When I interviewed the secretary said she didn't think the financial aid lady was in because she wasn't answering her phone, so I ended up sitting in an office with 2 other applicants for about an hour before my 2 interviews. Then no one even said the day was over so I just left- its like they didn't even know you were there. Oh and they sent me an acceptance letter without a form to accept/decline their offer- I thought this was a bit odd.

Pitt's staff was amazing, Rose sent out an email a couple of days before the interview letting everyone know the weather in Pittsburgh, where the cheap parking is, what shoes to wear (very hilly place!), etc. I was def. impressed!

Sorry to hear that but congrats on UDM! I received that email/rejection as well but post-interview. I was really shocked because I thought my interview went really well. After being upset all day I received another email saying jk I wasn't supposed to receive that letter...

AHHH! You're kidding!

AHHH! You're kidding!

haha nope..I mean I guess it could be worse and be the other way right? My friend was telling me how she heard about a grad school (not dental) in Chicago sending out acceptance letters to rejected students and then had to call them all to tell them the opposite..BAH that would blow

Well it's good to know you're still in the game! Have you heard from anywhere yet, JJB?

Well it's good to know you're still in the game! Have you heard from anywhere yet, JJB?

Still waiting from ASDOH (interview back in Oct) and I have an interview at Tufts this Wednesday and maybe one coming up at Maryland?? (just received the secondary)..but no acceptances yet..

So I'm hoping Tufts goes well but I have a bad cold so my voice sounds great:laugh:....

You'll do great! Best of luck and feel better!

IMO....One of the best has to be UT-Memphis...Dr. Coleman is super helpful and friendly. When I was rejected two years ago I called to find out what I could do to strengthen my application. He talked to me about 30 minutes and was EXTREMELY helpful and nice. The rest of the staff was great as well. They always returned my calls and were always willing to answer questions. :)

BEST- Penn, Buffalo

Penn - Corky and the rest of the admissions staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Very easy to get ahold of on the phone as well. I liked how Corky met with each of us on our interview day to go over our applications. They were also very quick when I sent them updated DAT scores. :thumbup:

Buffalo - Very easy to get ahold of on the phone as well. Barbara is such a nice lady, along with everyone else on the adcom. Good experiences whenever I've needed to call them!! :D

Worst - USC, Columbia

USC - First of all, this is THE most expensive school that I applied to ($145 application fee for international students), which really grates on my nerves. They continually sent me letters telling me to send them my DAT scores (which were also not recorded as being received on the website). I called them three times and CONFIRMED that they had received my DAT scores, and were physically HOLDING them in their hands at that time lol, however they continued to send me letters informing me that my file was on hold until my DAT scores were sent. :annoyed: Eventually I received a rejection/on hold until the end of time letter as they had never received my scores... and this was AFTER I sent a SECOND copy of updated DAT scores and had confirmed they had been received!!

Columbia - Similar problems with the DAT scores. On AADSAS in September it said they were waiting for my DAT scores, which were sent out in May/June. I tried to call them (plus you can only call them on Wednesdays?!), but they NEVER picked up.. not even on Wednesday. Since I couldn't get ahold of them, I sent another copy of my original DAT scores (this is in September). I then sent a third copy of DAT scores (the updated scores) in November. Stillll, my AADSAS claims that they are still waiting on scores....

SPECIAL MENTIONS - Louisville

Louisville - Although I had my problems with Louisville (i.e. they informed me (mistakenly) of needing to write the TOEFL, despite English being my first (and only!) language)) and they never actually acknowledged that I existed other than that, the person who picks up the phone has the best accent out of all the schools I've called. Always a pleasure to call, lol :)

Last edited:
Out of USC, UNLV, and Tufts, Tufts had the most informative interview day hands down, and they were very nice, although they did not give people much time to eat before being interviewed. At USC they didn't have a name tag for one girl, (she wasn't even on their list for the day) which I'm sure made her feel very uncomfortable. UNLV has nice people all around and they seem to be on their game. Also, UNLV is the only school that will probably let me defer (they vote in a week or two, but Dr. Ancajas said she is positive it will happen), so they definitely get points for that.

of the people that i've dealt with (and remember)......
awesome: BU, UMDNJ, Penn
good: Nova, NYU, UCLA
bad: Pitt, Temple, UCSF
ugly: yo' mama!

I've been lucky, all 5 of the schools I interviewed at had great Admissions staff.

Michigan: I was 1 hour late to the interview (because of a car accident), and they were very understanding of it (and I still got in lol).

Pittsburgh: Rose was great, very supportive and professional. Even when I withdrew, she wished me luck and hoped I would apply to Pitt's post-graduate residency programs.

Tufts: Great communication, also they let me come in the day before my interview to get the information packets, which I wasn't home to recieve in the mail.

UIC: Braulia is so nice and really wants us to come to UIC and succeed, and is doing a great job even though she and the rest of UIC's admission staff is brand new this year.

NYU: I was very set on having my interview a particular Friday (because I could have my Pitt interview the Monday after), the interview date was full but they signed me up anyways. I wouldn't have interviewed at NYU at all if they had not been flexible, because of cost and NYU's poor reputation on SDN. I'm glad I did interview and got to see how awesome NYU really is, and that you can't believe everything on SDN...

I thought the UMKC staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. They were kind of hard to reach by phone, but always called back promptly if I left a message.

not very funny when it happens to you

It did happen to me, I'm on that thread. I panicked for a few minutes and beat out an email, then realized what had happened. Come on, it's kind of funny. :D

Best: Tufts, Michigan (they both actually responded to voicemails!)
Worst: Buffalo. They didn't put my DAT scores into my file despite being faxed, emailed, and sent from the DAT officially. They told me my file was complete though. Not a reflection on the school itself though, I actually really liked my interview.

Best: Midwestern, Case, UNLV, Maryland
All were very prompt in responding to emails, courteous and friendly on the phone, and nice at the interview.

Worst:
Nova - They were extremely unprofessional every time I contacted them. It seemed like you were the last person in the world they wanted to talk to. You are a number with them, and half of there admissions staff (including several members of the adcom) have no formal dental training whatsoever.

Temple - When I called to schedule the interview I was told that the next available date was the same day as my UNLV interview. I called UNLV to see if they would let me reschedule for the following week (they were very accommodating). When I called Temple back to schedule the date they wanted she said, "Oh, it looks like that week isn't available after all." I was talking with the same person who five minutes before told me that that date was available. When I asked to speak with the office manager about this mix up, and to see if they could somehow get me in on that date, because I had already rescheduled with the other school in order to accomodate them he (the manager) said, "well, it's not like you're the only person we've invited for an interview." They made it sound like it was my problem that they couldn't get there schedule straight, and that if I wouldn't bend over backwards (reschedule again) to go to their interview, then someone else would. So I promptly withdrew my application because they clearly didn't care about their potential future students.