Dental Schools with good clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Son of Rooble

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I am going to be a freshman next year, I am wondering what dental schools are top notch when it comes to preparing you for the world outside of Dental school. What Dental Schools are "known" for graduating experienced and competent general practitioners. What schools have residency for those who choose to become general practitioners? I want to immerse myself with the variety of dental needs that the general practitioner handles, the business aspects will be a big bonus. I think I've already made up my mind. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of clinical experience, I've heard good things about UoP and Loma Linda.

In terms of clinical experience, I've heard good things about UoP and Loma Linda.
Thank You! If only I lived in California, Loma Linda seems perfect! I did some research on that school. Penn is for the gifted and the rich. Lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely UoP!
Wow. How would I pay for it? I could work really hard, get 3.9, good score on my DAT, but I still can not afford it. I am from a family who aren't poor but still doing badly financially. Is there anything I can do? :(:(

Wow. How would I pay for it? I could work really hard, get 3.9, good score on my DAT, but I still can not afford it. I am from a family who aren't poor but still doing badly financially. Is there anything I can do? :(:(
Well I don't think there are many of us that can "afford" dental school... most of us are gonna take out a big loan... right?

Considering its 3-year curriculum, it's just as bad as others.

Thank You! If only I lived in California, Loma Linda seems perfect! I did some research on that school. Penn is for the gifted and the rich. Lol.

UoP = University of the Pacific, not Penn. I should've clarified earlier.

Reactions: 1 user

Move to Texas before you apply to dental school, and apply to all Texas schools. You could practically pay their tuition by flipping burgers and mowing lawns for a few months.

Reactions: 3 users
Son of Rooble - there are very few student who can pay their way through dental school. The majority of dental students take out loans through government programs ranging between 100K - 400K depending on their school of choice, scholarship availability, and parental contributions. Therefore, don't base your decision entirely on your own family's financial standing.

In regards to UOP, it is an expensive school when compared to public dental schools outside California, but its tuition is pretty comparable to other private universities and most public schools (when considering out-of-state fees).

You will find that many dental schools offer strong clinical experiences. Some good places to consider are:

UOP
Temple
Maryland
Arizona School of Oral Health
Michigan
Columbia
Nova Southeastern
Detroit Mercy

Keep in mind that this list is just based on hear-say and opinions of other students that I have talked who do attend these universities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I am going to be a freshman next year, I am wondering what dental schools are top notch when it comes to preparing you for the world outside of Dental school. What Dental Schools are "known" for graduating experienced and competent general practitioners. What schools have residency for those who choose to become general practitioners? I want to immerse myself with the variety of dental needs that the general practitioner handles, the business aspects will be a big bonus. I think I've already made up my mind. :laugh:

generally... schools in the middle of the "ghetto" are notorious for having big patient pools ....like....detroit mercy, temple, buffalo, etc are famous for strong clinical years.... even some brag about most of their graduates to be private-practice ready without General practice residency (ofc thats not the case with buffalo, NY state requires all dentists to complete residency)

Son of Rooble - there are very few student who can pay their way through dental school. The majority of dental students take out loans through government programs ranging between 100K - 400K depending on their school of choice, scholarship availability, and parental contributions. Therefore, don't base your decision entirely on your own family's financial standing.

In regards to UOP, it is an expensive school when compared to public dental schools outside California, but its tuition is pretty comparable to other private universities and most public schools (when considering out-of-state fees).

You will find that many dental schools offer strong clinical experiences. Some good places to consider are:

UOP
Temple
Maryland
Arizona School of Oral Health
Michigan
Columbia
Nova Southeastern
Detroit Mercy

Keep in mind that this list is just based on hear-say and opinions of other students that I have talked who do attend these universities.

thats funny, I woulda rated michigan and nova at the very opposite of the "clinical exposure" spectrum

Move to Texas before you apply to dental school, and apply to all Texas schools. You could practically pay their tuition by flipping burgers and mowing lawns for a few months.

have to work for 1 full year

ASDOH is pretty legit clinical school. I have no idea what the requirements are for graduation and I've never heard them mentioned. Your 4th year is pretty much all clinic; half is in the school clinic and half is out on externships. I haven't bothered to look for numbers from other schools (but I'm interested) so I can't compare, but I've got some numbers for ASDOH and I'm impressed with theirs. Of course many of these numbers are averages…but even at the low end, you're still looking pretty good. I like numbers. Maybe some of you do too.

ICSP Rotations (Integrated Community Service Partnership)

• Students will complete a Summer Rotation at the end of their 3rd year

• At least 50% of the 4th year clinical education is done at external sites

• Starting in the 4th year student completes 4 rotations of 4 – 6 weeks in duration

• Each external rotation is followed by an equal amount of time in the ASDOH clinic

• All External Faculty are credentialed as Adjunct Clinical Faculty via the same credentialing process as internal faculty

• Rotation sites are all over the country. I believe you have a say in where you want to go. They're primarily FQHC sites. Others are community non-profit, IHS, etc.

• Students and sites report ability for students to see 8 – 12 patients per day by their 2nd rotation. Some students report these patient numbers during their 1st rotation.

• Sites report that students can produce as much as $10,000 ‐ $16,000 in a 4 – 6 week rotation. (Sites keep the revenues. I hear some sites throw out incentives to get students to come out to their sites.)

Procedure numbers
Class of 2010 (54 students)
Total number of Restorative Procedures –11,135
Total completed Internally (D3, D4) –2,727
Total completed Externally (D4 only) ‐8,408
Average completed Internally ‐ 47
Average completed Externally ‐144
Total number of Oral Surgery Procedures ‐5024
Total completed Internally (D3, D4) ‐1640
Total completed Externally (D4 only) ‐3384
Average completed Internally ‐ 28
Average completed Externally ‐58

Class of 2009 (54 students)
Total number of Restorative Procedures –13,048
Total completed Internally (D3, D4) – 4,975
Total completed Externally (D4 only) ‐ 8,073
Average completed Internally ‐ 88
Average completed Externally ‐144
Total number of Oral Surgery Procedures ‐ 6,555
Total completed Internally (D3, D4) ‐ 2,232
Total completed Externally (D4 only) ‐ 4,323
Average completed Internally ‐ 39
Average completed Externally ‐77

(external sites only; does not include internal clinic)
Class of 2008
Average number of Operative procedures per rotation -
59 (and as high as 101)
Average number of Oral Surgery procedures per rotation – 20 (and as high as 38)
Highest number of Operative procedures at a site for one rotation – 138
Highest number of Oral Surgery procedures at a site for one rotation – 73

(external sites only; does not include internal clinic)
Class of 2007 (54 students; inaugural class)
Average number of Operative procedures per rotation – 35 (and as high as 85)
Average number of Oral Surgery procedures per rotation – 19 (and as high as 54)
Highest number of Operative procedures at a site for one rotation – 175
Highest number of Oral Surgery procedures at a site for one rotation – 122

Board Pass Rates
Western Regional Examining Board (WREB) Exam

Class of 2010 96%* (100% within 1 year)
Class of 2009 83% (98% within 1 year)
Class of 2008 96%* (100% within 1 year)
Class of 2007 94% (100% within 1 year)
* 100% pass on all clinical portions. Two failures were in written and bench portions of exam.

Temple, UoP, Maryland, Columbia/NYU.

The real answer is: worry about getting in anywhere first. All the schools will prepare you for a career in dentistry.

every school i interviewed at claimed to be "clinically strong". They all said they would "prepare you for the real world better than most other schools".

Reactions: 2 users
I'm really surprised by all the pro-UoP responses. I've heard horrible things about them, especially from actual students and graduates. Afterall, can you really gain the same education in 3 years as you can in 4? The hand skills required to make a good clinician take years and years to develop...I can't see how less clinic time would allow you to obtain better experience.

Just to weigh in my opinion, I'd suggest USC (but I'm partial here) and Tufts. Just had a friend finish at Tufts and is doing really well in private practice and he felt they gave him all the skill and experience he needed to go off on his own his first year out. I'm sure there are many other great schools out there as well.

I'm really surprised by all the pro-UoP responses. I've heard horrible things about them, especially from actual students and graduates. Afterall, can you really gain the same education in 3 years as you can in 4? The hand skills required to make a good clinician take years and years to develop...I can't see how less clinic time would allow you to obtain better experience.

Just to weigh in my opinion, I'd suggest USC (but I'm partial here) and Tufts. Just had a friend finish at Tufts and is doing really well in private practice and he felt they gave him all the skill and experience he needed to go off on his own his first year out. I'm sure there are many other great schools out there as well.
Hi,
I got into the Uop predental program, and still deciding if I want to go or not.
I was wondering what specifically the reputation of it is?
Thanks so much! :)

I wish I did this so bad. A lot of my friends moved to Austin after college and I could have lived there for a year, worked, partied and go to dental school for half the cost. Hindsight's a B...

Most students get loans, this is the norm here!

if it was bad, it would have been closed by now or their tuition could have gone down because of bad reviews and bad results.

Some of us actually want to finish in 3 years instead of 4 years.

I have taken U of P students into the residency program I direct almost every year. Generally above average to excellent clinical skills.
Also of note....Temple, Rutgers, Maryland. NYU and Columbia honorable mention, but extremely variable due to class size and inconsistent training.

Reactions: 1 users
VCU

I cannot go school by school, and do not have a big sample from every school. The truth is, I have had great residents from what some may consider second tier schools, and they were great due to personal motivation and clear academic motivation. Highly motivated, personally engaging, well rounded individuals will excel in any environment. They also find a way to make things work in any situation.

Reactions: 1 users