Dental Shadowing Opportunities in Philadelphia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zj2234

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to shadow/volunteer/assist a dentist in Philadelphia. I was hoping somebody could help me out with a connection to a dentist or dental group who helps potential students in this area as I am new to the area. I am having a lot of trouble finding somebody who is willing to let me shadow them.

I am currently a junior undergraduate who joined the pre-dental game late so I am a bit stressed as I do not have that many shadowing hours. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not from Philly, but you can try calling Temple Dental School and ask to be directed to someone who may have connections to dentists and or part-time faculty taking students to shadow. Another source can be the state Dental Assoc where there may be a network of dentists willing to accommodate you. Many community dental clinics allow job shadowing as well.

Reactions: 1 user
imo the easiest way is just show up to random dental offices.

come 15-20 minutes before they open and just say you are a pre-dent and wanted to see if you could shadow the doctor.

dress professionally, and I strongly advise against calling and asking them. They likely will not respond to your call as its a waste of their time, but they will likely say yes if you just show up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not from Philly, but you can try calling Temple Dental School and ask to be directed to someone who may have connections to dentists and or part-time faculty taking students to shadow. Another source can be the state Dental Assoc where there may be a network of dentists willing to accommodate you. Many community dental clinics allow job shadowing as well.
Thank you so much for the tips!

Getting into an office to shadow right now is hard for a dentist to allow. You have to be geared up to be in the room while they’re working and the costs of our PPE has gone way up. Patients are not at ease, and the dentists are focused on rebuilding their practices so a student is just in the way. Maybe start with a phone call or lunch.

Are you sure you want to be a dentist 😂?

Reactions: 1 users
Getting into an office to shadow right now is hard for a dentist to allow. You have to be geared up to be in the room while they’re working and the costs of our PPE has gone way up. Patients are not at ease, and the dentists are focused on rebuilding their practices so a student is just in the way. Maybe start with a phone call or lunch.

Are you sure you want to be a dentist 😂?
I have thought about that. I am just unsure about what to do since dental school applications still require shadowing hours :(

You can try asking “Dr. Nacho” from the Facebook group Dental Nachos. I believe that he is a dentist with a private practice in Philly area. He claimed that his biggest goal is to help as many pre-dents and dental students as possible, so you might have better luck asking him. To limit the capacity my dental school is currently not allowing any non-patients to be in the building so no predents can shadow. I’m sure other schools are following the same protocol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You can try asking “Dr. Nacho” from the Facebook group Dental Nachos. I believe that he is a dentist with a private practice in Philly area. He claimed that his biggest goal is to help as many pre-dents and dental students as possible, so you might have better luck asking him. To limit the capacity my dental school is currently not allowing any non-patients to be in the building so no predents can shadow. I’m sure other schools are following the same protocol.
That's super helpful, i'll reach out. Thank you so much!

OP did you reach out to Dr. Nacho yet? What did he say?