Dental Specialties

Discussion in 'Dental' started by biggezzz, May 15, 2002.

1. biggezzz

biggezzz Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Guys,
    I was wondering if you guys new of any place where I could get some information on average GPA's and Board Scores for people going into the different specialties? I have searched the internet many times and it seems as if there is not too much info out there.

Thanks

2. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I have searched all over for this kind of info as well and have concluded that this type of a document doesn't exist. The best thing I can suggest is the ASDA Guide to Post-Doc programs, you can order it on their website <a href="http://www.asda.org." target="_blank">www.asda.org.</a> The univeristy library may have a copy as well. In it, some of the programs list whether they expect a certain class rank (top 10%, 20% etc). If any program lists a certain board score, it is usually 90+ on the NDBE I. Interesting to note, ortho is the only one in the book that lists a class rank percentile they are looking for in their applicants (range is from top 50% to top 10%). I don't know about the oral surgery programs, I didn't get the OMS volume. Sometimes the websites of the specialty/residency program will list any criteria they may have. Hope this helps.

3. Hope7

Hope7 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Griffin04. I didn't know there were ortho programs that accepted students with a top 50% class rank. How many of the ortho programs do that? And how many ortho programs are there?

4. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Indiana U and Case Western list "upper 50%" in the section titled "Class Rank" in their profiles.

5. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Forgot about the other question. I have no idea how many ortho programs are out there. <a href="http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/" target="_blank">http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/</a> will have a list of all the programs participating in the Match (which is probably most of them) by August, so you can check then for a good estimate. But if you are just starting dental school, I would worry about passing and learning in all of your classes and having a good dental school experience. There is a lot to learn about dentistry b/f you can make a decision to specialize after school. You shouldn't be stressing about specializing even before you begin school.

6. Frank Cavitation

Frank Cavitation Game Center Arashi
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    are marks the main thing, or do references/research experience play a role in getting into certain specialties?