1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Dental Specialties

Discussion in 'Dental' started by biggezzz, May 15, 2002.

1. biggezzz

biggezzz Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Guys,
    I was wondering if you guys new of any place where I could get some information on average GPA's and Board Scores for people going into the different specialties? I have searched the internet many times and it seems as if there is not too much info out there.

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I have searched all over for this kind of info as well and have concluded that this type of a document doesn't exist. The best thing I can suggest is the ASDA Guide to Post-Doc programs, you can order it on their website <a href="http://www.asda.org." target="_blank">www.asda.org.</a> The univeristy library may have a copy as well. In it, some of the programs list whether they expect a certain class rank (top 10%, 20% etc). If any program lists a certain board score, it is usually 90+ on the NDBE I. Interesting to note, ortho is the only one in the book that lists a class rank percentile they are looking for in their applicants (range is from top 50% to top 10%). I don't know about the oral surgery programs, I didn't get the OMS volume. Sometimes the websites of the specialty/residency program will list any criteria they may have. Hope this helps.

4. Hope7

Hope7 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Griffin04. I didn't know there were ortho programs that accepted students with a top 50% class rank. How many of the ortho programs do that? And how many ortho programs are there?

5. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Indiana U and Case Western list "upper 50%" in the section titled "Class Rank" in their profiles.

6. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Forgot about the other question. I have no idea how many ortho programs are out there. <a href="http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/" target="_blank">http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/</a> will have a list of all the programs participating in the Match (which is probably most of them) by August, so you can check then for a good estimate. But if you are just starting dental school, I would worry about passing and learning in all of your classes and having a good dental school experience. There is a lot to learn about dentistry b/f you can make a decision to specialize after school. You shouldn't be stressing about specializing even before you begin school.

7. Frank Cavitation

Frank Cavitation Game Center Arashi
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    are marks the main thing, or do references/research experience play a role in getting into certain specialties?