Dental student, CBSE/Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1Bound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a humble dental student who just finished D1 year. I am taking the CBSE for the first time very soon to start building an application for Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery. I am already planning to retake it in a year. Try not to cringe at these sucky scores as I have been sitting in lab learning how to prep and fill teeth and make dentures instead of learning in depth pathology like medical students. Here are my last six uWorld quizzes 35%, 50%, 43%, 43%, 58%, 45%. Total average is 40% over 13 quizzes. I made a 159 earlier this month on NBME form 30. I feel better than I did when I took the NBME but obviously not a top tier scorer. Realistically, what should I expect to score in a few days when I take my CBSE?

Members don't see this ad.

Dont you need way higher than that for OMFS?

Dont you need way higher than that for OMFS?
if they are a D1 i doubt they will have a scored step 1 for their application. unless they dont take step 1 for omfs then i have no idea

Members don't see this ad :)
Entrance exam for OMFS, written by NBME. Same content and question style as Step 1 but it’s only 4 blocks
Ohh gotcha, would be tough for a dental student who did not go to medical school no? TBH MD's and DO's should be able to go into Oral surgery not just dentists...

Ohh gotcha, would be tough for a dental student who did not go to medical school no? TBH MD's and DO's should be able to go into Oral surgery not just dentists...
They can, if they go get their DDS or DMD. You've got to be able to work with dentists and understand dentistry for OMFS.

Hello everyone. I am a humble dental student who just finished D1 year. I am taking the CBSE for the first time very soon to start building an application for Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery. I am already planning to retake it in a year. Try not to cringe at these sucky scores as I have been sitting in lab learning how to prep and fill teeth and make dentures instead of learning in depth pathology like medical students. Here are my last six uWorld quizzes 35%, 50%, 43%, 43%, 58%, 45%. Total average is 40% over 13 quizzes. I made a 159 earlier this month on NBME form 30. I feel better than I did when I took the NBME but obviously not a top tier scorer. Realistically, what should I expect to score in a few days when I take my CBSE?
Is dental school curriculum similar to MD/DO? If so, I would not be too worried since 2nd yr of med school is a major part of step1. Finish D2 and see how you do on another NBME form. If your score remains that low, you will need a good study strategy to get an average score (230) on CBSE/step1.