Dental Student Life in NYU, UPenn, and Harvard/Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sawmoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to all current dental students at NYU, UPenn, and Harvard/Boston. I am currently applying to these schools and I just wanted to know the current living conditions and life-style within the city.

Is the city life like what everyone hopes it to be or is that just made up? Are you all happy or upset about your living arrangment? Any tricks of the trade or tips in living in a city?

Members don't see this ad.

hey what's up? I am currently at NYU as a D2 and I too had some concerns about city life. I am originally from Florida so the move was going to be something very different. I decided to stay in Brooklyn only because of other family members and cost of living is a bit cheaper. I can honestly say that after two years of being in NYC....Brooklyn is the place to be if you like something a little quiet...and as close to normal life as possible. Now don't get me wrong....there will be some time where you might become very envious of your peers who live in manhattan or better yet across the street from school, but for the most part things are fine. I have a nice three bedroom (huge) apartment all to myself for 1500 a month....in the city...a place like mine would be close to 3500 a month. So everything has its ups and downs....you just have to figure out what you like and what you want out of your time. You can live the high life and be broke all the time or you can live the cheaper life and have a lot of different things to do.....oh yeah...car helps a great deal. Trains are nice, but doesn't help on those weekends when you want to go to six flags great adventure.

I go to Temple which is in Philly. Philly life is great. All sorts of stuff near by. Other big cities, history, if you are in to night life, there is that...etc. very fun city.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking for a 1 bd apt only either in Queens, Brooklyn or Manhattan, but everything costs so much. Can you tell me how you can get that good deal of a place for just 1500 per month? AS of right now, it would cost me 1200 USD already per month for a place in Brooklyn!!!
It would be nice if you know someone who is moving out or graduating soon so that i can rent the place (Apt or studio is fine for me).
Of course i would prefer a safe neighborhood and close to Subway to NYU!

Thanks in advance!

I go to Temple which is in Philly. Philly life is great. All sorts of stuff near by. Other big cities, history, if you are in to night life, there is that...etc. very fun city.

philly is only great if you don't mind a high murder rate.... it is getting unbelievable here. I lived here for 2 years can't wait to get out..... nightlife gets boring, history, ok I'll give it that but the city itself.... gross!

philly is only great if you don't mind a high murder rate.... it is getting unbelievable here. I lived here for 2 years can't wait to get out..... nightlife gets boring, history, ok I'll give it that but the city itself.... gross!

Yeah, Philly is fine enough, but I find the downtown area very dirty. And the homeless people seem more conspicuous than NYC for some reason. Perhaps because I spend more time in Philly than NYC? I don't know. The public transportation in Philly is also lacking. But hey, during 8 months of the year it's my home:thumbup:

I'm looking for a 1 bd apt only either in Queens, Brooklyn or Manhattan, but everything costs so much. Can you tell me how you can get that good deal of a place for just 1500 per month? AS of right now, it would cost me 1200 USD already per month for a place in Brooklyn!!!
It would be nice if you know someone who is moving out or graduating soon so that i can rent the place (Apt or studio is fine for me).
Of course i would prefer a safe neighborhood and close to Subway to NYU!

Thanks in advance!

$1200 for a 1 bedroom (or studio for that matter) close to NYU dental DOES NOT EXIST. Maybe in the slums of harlem or the outer part of brooklyn/queens, but definitely not close to NYU.

If you want to live close to the school, get a couple roommates.

jb!:)