Dental Students at UB - Quality of Life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

potatochip86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(repost from Pre-Dental)

And by quality of life, I mean free time. And by free time, I mean the ability to fly back to NYC for a weekend each month.

I've lived in Buffalo before (after graduating from college elsewhere), so I know what I'm getting into with regards to location. I live with my partner who is a homeowner and small business owner, and who cannot move with me to Buffalo for the length of DS. So far, we have come up with the above, environmentally irresponsible logistic (I fly down once a month and partner flies up once a month, for a total of two weekends per month), but I'd like to know if this is realistic.

Thanks for your help.

PS - What the what is "early fall?"
PPS - Is it true that UB students have to do offsite rotations because of insufficient patient traffic?

Members don't see this ad.

Early fall is just a few weeks in june for school.

I fly back one a month to NYC and my gf flies up once a month. Its doable but it does lessen your time outside of those two activities in regards to doing anything but studying lol

not sure about the offsite rotation remark. I actually thought that was just for more experience lol.

Off-site rotations eh? I guess a personal vehicle is pretty much required then? During what years do students go off-site?

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently, we do "offsite rotations" about 2 weeks per semester during your 3rd and 4th years. This is to increase your exposure to pediatric dentistry and dentistry at a clinic in an underserved area (mostly Medicaid patients). There are some students who don't have a car that make arrangements to carpool. However, I would definitely recommend having a car in Buffalo.

Currently, we do "offsite rotations" about 2 weeks per semester during your 3rd and 4th years. This is to increase your exposure to pediatric dentistry and dentistry at a clinic in an underserved area (mostly Medicaid patients). There are some students who don't have a car that make arrangements to carpool. However, I would definitely recommend having a car in Buffalo.

Would you recommend having a car even if you live within walking distance of the campus? Thanks.

How do students typically spend their summer/winter breaks? Do the majority of people go home? Are a lot of people sticking around for research? Do any students do externships downstate, e.g., in NYC?

How do students typically spend their summer/winter breaks? Do the majority of people go home? Are a lot of people sticking around for research? Do any students do externships downstate, e.g., in NYC?

Majority of the students do go home. About 15-20 total students (D1-D3) stay during the summers for research. You can apply for the summer research program and you will receive a summer stipend. Students take the NBDE Part I in the summer between D2 and D3. Most students do externships during the summer between D3/D4 and some do them during winter of D3 year.

Very informative. Thanks.

Most students do externships during the summer between D3/D4 and some do them during winter of D3 year.

Do you know if the externships can be done outside of the WNY region? Do they have to be done with affiliated hospitals/institutions?

Very informative. Thanks.

Do you know if the externships can be done outside of the WNY region? Do they have to be done with affiliated hospitals/institutions?

UB does have affiliated programs where you can do your externships. You can definitely do your externships anywhere in the country as long as you meet their requirements (passed boards, class year, etc). You will need to get malpractice insurance if you want to Extern at a non-affiliated program. Med pro can give you free malpractice insurance for externships for a year from sign-up date. I did externships in NYC, Dallas, and New Orleans.

Reactions: 1 user
UB does have affiliated programs where you can do your externships. You can definitely do your externships anywhere in the country as long as you meet their requirements (passed boards, class year, etc). You will need to get malpractice insurance if you want to Extern at a non-affiliated program. Med pro can give you free malpractice insurance for externships for a year from sign-up date. I did externships in NYC, Dallas, and New Orleans.

Thats really nice you were able to go out there and had so many externships. Is there a limit to how many you can do? When theres a winter, summer break, can you actually go do one or is it only during the school year? And how long are they?

Thats really nice you were able to go out there and had so many externships. Is there a limit to how many you can do? When theres a winter, summer break, can you actually go do one or is it only during the school year? And how long are they?

There is no limit, but you won't be able to miss class/clinic for externships. Summers are 6 weeks long (Jun/July) and winters are 3 weeks long. I did a total of 6 weeks of externships over a winter and summer.

There is no limit, but you won't be able to miss class/clinic for externships. Summers are 6 weeks long (Jun/July) and winters are 3 weeks long. I did a total of 6 weeks of externships over a winter and summer.

Thats understandable. Are you able to get procedures signed off too or no?

Thats understandable. Are you able to get procedures signed off too or no?

You may get credit for procedures if you do an externship at the school during the breaks. But I don't think this is very common. Sometimes students "assist" in urgent care, pt screening, or the Erie county clinic during the break, and procedures completed are logged into the system under your name.

@tothepark, Wowe, such knows. Thanks. :headphone: What year are you in? Are you happy with your selection of UB? Anything you wish you knew before you started?

@tothepark, Wowe, such knows. Thanks. :headphone: What year are you in? Are you happy with your selection of UB? Anything you wish you knew before you started?

I am in a 4th year.. Graduating in less than 4 months. I was happy with my selection, especially after talking to some of the people on the interview trail that went to more expensive dental schools.

I am in a 4th year.. Graduating in less than 4 months. I was happy with my selection, especially after talking to some of the people on the interview trail that went to more expensive dental schools.

Congrats. I hope the time goes by fast here. Love the atmosphere here at UB, but just want to get through the program in one piece.

Congrats. I hope the time goes by fast here. Love the atmosphere here at UB, but just want to get through the program in one piece.

Thanks. Time flies when you're in dental school! I felt like I started school just last year, and now I'm anxiously waiting for my OMFS match on the 25th.. crazy.

Thanks. Time flies when you're in dental school! I felt like I started school just last year, and now I'm anxiously waiting for my OMFS match on the 25th.. crazy.
Wow. Congrats, and good luck to you. How many people in your class are applying? Any endos?

Wow. Congrats, and good luck to you. How many people in your class are applying? Any endos?

i'm actually the 1 endo for our class, out of 2 that applied. we also have confirmed 2 pros (out of ~4?) and 3 ortho (out of ~6?). pedo and OMFS will hear in a week.

good luck @tothepark !!!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know whether UB participates in HPSL? I know it's not on the list of participating schools, but I was wondering [hoping]...

Does anyone know whether UB participates in HPSL? I know it's not on the list of participating schools, but I was wondering [hoping]...

I believe they do participate in HPSL, but you won't know if you qualify until you start school from what I remember. I believe students who qualify via FAFSA receive an email from the school to fill out additional paperwork for those loans. To be sure, I would contact the office of admissions