Dental Students' Comments: Why I Chose [Blank] School of Dentistry... (please post)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack Worthing

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post why you chose your school instead of some others you may have been accepted to. It would be of great help mainly for we predental students who are having trouble choosing among our acceptances. Current students' input would be invaluable.

I have posted a topic with the title "Decided Students' Comments: Why I Chose [Blank] School of Dentistry... (please post)" in the Predental forum, and I have informed the readers of that thread about this thread in your forum.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a good school. Never heard of University of Alberta?....now you know. :D The university is very academically oriented...has lots of funding from government....gorgeous modern hospital which is never-endingly expanding.....

Why I chose U of A dentistry
-I can graduate with less than 50K debt with minimal help from the bank of Dad (The bank still offers to buy groceries every once and a while and pays my condo fees)
-Close to home

Rampart

Members don't see this ad :)
There you go, another from UofA.

Yes, yes, yes, closer to home.....but how can you have a debt < 50K?......Maybe I AM a big spender after all. :D

Eeeeh.....I wonder who you two are....... :eek: :rolleyes:

wow UofA students are really full of themselves lol

no no.. that was just a joke. thanks for sharing your school spirit. Too bad more dental students aren't joining in this thread.

i understand it's probably a tough thing to do- to take some time out of studying and living up the life of a dental student to think back why you chose your school. you're probably like, "Whyyyy am i here." lol

As you might expect I got more responses to this question in the pre-dental forum, where freshly admitted students wrote about their choices. It's much fresher for us to talk about.

thanks for those who responded though. best wishes

Three words. Nest Egg, remmitance
Word on the street is that there will be a new D-building at the UofA, inbetween Jubilee and Medsci. Likely after we finish though.

Rampart

OK JackW, here's a non-UofA dental student perspective for your thread.

I chose my school, SUNY Buffalo, for a few reasons.
1. It was waaaaaay cheaper than my other alternative, UPenn. We're talking 4 years of school for 100K vs. 200K (these were the prices in 1997).
2. The clinics were really nice and bright and clean. Every student had their own operatory and there was no sharing or moving around - this has been SO KEY these past 2 years.
3. Every dentist I spoke to told me to pick Buffalo over the other school b/c it had a good clinical education and it was cheap.

Take into perspective, I made this decision in 1997, as a senior in high school. I applied to 2 combined dental programs at these 2 schools as an afterthought during the whole college admissions process. After finding out I got into both programs, I was told by the dentists in point #3 above that I would be stupid to spend 4 years stressing at Cornell or Binghamton if I ultimately wanted to be a dentist.

I made this decision knowing nothing about board scores or specialty placements or labwork or patient pool, etc. If I had the information overload available to you today on SDN back then, I might have made a different decision. But I'm glad I chose Buffalo - love the dental school & just about all the experiences I had here, however, hate the dreadful city SUNY built the school in.

Hi,
Your question seems really interesting...Maybe you ought to also post the same question in the " International Dental " section of SDN also...there are so many students addressing the same issues...You might get a whole new perspective on things ..!!!!
Just a suggestion that's all..
All the best.
Toothzone