dental students i want to be you

Discussion in 'Dental' started by sadgirl79, Nov 4, 2002.

1. sadgirl79

sadgirl79 Junior Member

Hey guys I need advice fast.
    Ok so I'm a senior, who has NOW decided that Dental school is what I want to do ( long story...personal).
    I want to start the process now (including taking the DAT and having applications out by the end of November). Is this realistic? How late is too late to jump into the process. I really want to go to dental school in the Fall of 2003. I'm graduating and dont' want to take a year off.
    What's the latest you know that someone has taken the DAT/applied and gotten accepted?

Thanks in advance

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doctorsquared

doctorsquared Member

If you are a truly outstanding student with superior grades and went to a tier 1 school then go for it. They will hold your application until the DAT scores are received.

If you have a dental school in the college you are attending then immediately have a meeting with the dean of admissions. I did this when I was a sophomore and was told that I was such an outstanding student that I did not have to attend the last two years of college and I could take the DAT in the spring before entering dental school. I would then be considered as a late applicant and could still be admitted. Times were different back then (1980) and I did poorly in organic chem. I also decided I wanted my B.S. for backup in case I couldn't handle dental school. The additional two years of maturity did'nt hurt either. I ended up going after four years with okay grades and brilliant DAT scores.

If you are an average applicant you are much better off taking your time and doing it right. Messing up now will cause you to never get in to dental school :( . I urge you to meet with an admissions officer to guide you through the process. Get books on how to apply to dental school. Take Stanley Kaplan or Princeton review (which ever one is more convenient to your location and that you will actually attend.). I took Stanley Kaplan and I got such high scores that I got asked on every interview why my grades were mediocre and my DAT scores were so high. Although I naturally scored high in some areas such as Math, Chemistry, Biology. I could not figure out how I did so well in Organic Chem and Reading. Take the time to write proper essays. Basically take your time and do it right. Poor DAT scores will cause you never to get in.

This year you can concentrate on getting into dental school. You can also work: 1) As a dental assistant or lab tech. Any of this experience will help you in dental school get out faster and do well and it will help get you admitted.

Jonathan Berns, DDS Northwestern U 1987 (doctor squared husband)

:D