Dental students with kids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalmama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking for some feedback from current dental students regarding students with kids - specifically adolescent kids. I will be attending USC in the fall and have two boys 11 and 14, and would like to know if others have had this situation and how they fared through dental school... I am a non-traditional student (obviously) and I think my kids are old enough to handle it - any feedback?

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking for some feedback from current dental students regarding students with kids - specifically adolescent kids. I will be attending USC in the fall and have two boys 11 and 14, and would like to know if others have had this situation and how they fared through dental school... I am a non-traditional student (obviously) and I think my kids are old enough to handle it - any feedback?
Hi,
You are not alone. I am starting in August at UF and have a 14,6, & 6month. I'll keep you posted If I hear any good tips.

This is a good question, Dentalmama. I think it's great that you're working towards dental school and wanting to do what's best for your family! I don't know how well-behaved your kids are, but if they are good kids they will probably get through your dental school just fine.

I was 11 when my mom went back to school full-time (not dental school, but nursing school). She also worked a full-time job and was a volunteer EMT. This left little time for parenting, so I became very self-sufficient at a young age. I don't know how much different it would be for boys, but those are pretty important years in a girl's life -- I imagine they're similarly formative for boys. I had some abandonment issues with her, but never acted out or anything. I was a good kid and straight-A student, but I raised myself.

When I grew up, I realized that she was just trying to give her kids a better life, so I forgave her for her absence. My older sister (who was 14) fared much better. Those are important years in your kids' lives -- just do your best to be there when they need you! Make sure they know that it's not going to be easy, but that you're doing it for them. Make sure they don't grow up without you. Okay, that's enough therapy for me today! :) Let me know if you have any questions about my perspective, and I apologize if it was unwelcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
In today's world you have to do what is best for your family. Even if the might not understand it at first. If this is what you want, go for it. It's a secure job to have (as long as you're not an idiot adn somehow get by). Good luck!!

In today's world you have to do what is best for your family. Even if the might not understand it at first. If this is what you want, go for it. It's a secure job to have (as long as you're not an idiot adn somehow get by). Good luck!!

So true! They will have a great life with mom as a dentist.

Thanks so much for the encouragement, I really appreciate your personal story. I think boys (especially) are pretty independent and don't have to deal with as much "drama" (as girls seem to encounter in middle school and high school) - so I'm confident in their ability to handle my absence at times. I guess I'm wondering how much time and attention does dental school really take away from your home life, and can you even HAVE a life outside dental school? (But I guess it depends where you go.) I'm hoping USC will afford me some flexibility so I can still have dinner with my kids, help them with homework from time to time, and put them to bed. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks again for the feedback!:luck:

Thanks so much for the encouragement, I really appreciate your personal story. I think boys (especially) are pretty independent and don't have to deal with as much "drama" (as girls seem to encounter in middle school and high school) - so I'm confident in their ability to handle my absence at times. I guess I'm wondering how much time and attention does dental school really take away from your home life, and can you even HAVE a life outside dental school? (But I guess it depends where you go.) I'm hoping USC will afford me some flexibility so I can still have dinner with my kids, help them with homework from time to time, and put them to bed. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks again for the feedback!:luck:

I think you'll fare much better at USC than compared to any other dental school in the 1st year. Since there are very few lectures, you only need to be at school for a few hours a day for your PBL sessions and some pre-clinic stuff. 2nd -4th year, I would predict being at school 8am to very late at night.

Dentalmama, I do share a lot of your conserns starting dental school this summer and taking my 4 and 6 year old sons with me. I truly do not know how exactly I will be able to pull it all off, but I am sure we all be fine. I do work with a lot of dentists now and they all said that they all had time at dental school for personal life it is all about time management. I know it all sound like speculations, because I am a dental student yet, but I also have some personal experience from the other side. My mom started med school when I was 6. I actually had to live with my grandparents in a different city and see her on the weekends for the first 2 years, but I always understood her ambitions and reasons and never questioned her love for me. I can only hope that my boys will feel the same way about me. Actually about both of us, since my hubby will be starting a PA school the same time 6 hours away from us. We can do it, you go girls;)